Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default New List - The shows that jumped the shark

Ok, time for a new list as the last one has run its course. Now this might have come along eventually, this is thanks to the people in the last thread who mentioned the term jumping the shark.

So what does the term mean and how did it become such a cultural statement? Basically jumping the shark is that one instance or occurance that sends the show into the abyss, a great show can have that one moment where you say "Well that was the stupidest thing ever" and after that the show is never the same. Its almost like a dumba$$ reboot occured and sirens went off with a loud voice stating "This show just got stupid, man your suck stations"

At some point every show jumps the shark, its rare that a show maintains its quality to the end.

But these are the ones that stand out.

So without applause lets look at the shows that stand out for jumping the shark

1) Happy Days - The start of it all.

Happy Days is truly a cultural phenomenon, in simpler times families would gather around the TV with those stupid plastic TV dinner trays and eat their Salisbury Steak dinners with bland vegetables, while watching the adventures of the most wholesome 50's family ever and their friend the thug Fonzie.

In the 5th season though history was made as the show literally jumped the shark and became a shadow of itself. The episode took place during a family vacation, and the Fonze was goaded into accepting a challenge to water ski over a shark.

So what happened.

Well you take the coolest character in television and put him in shorts a leather jacket and a life vest and have him jump the shark, and suddenly the Fonze becomes a doofus. Also Fonzie who was pretty much a secondary character to the Cunninghams suddenly became the character and the writers got lost. the next thing you know, the Fonze is a fat leather jacket bearded auto mechanics teacher instead of the cool rebel that probably made his money stealing cars and taking lunch money from the weaker characters. In a desperate attempt to save the show, they kept introducing newer and worse characters until the show thankfully had a bullet put in it.

The writers probably regret not having the Fonze diving into the water and punching out the Shark

2) Buffy dies and goes to Heaven and then to hell

Buffy was a show that was about the empowerment of girls, you had a vampire slayer who saved the world on multiple occasions, the 5th season had it all. The strongest villain since the Mayor in Glory, strong acting, amazing episodes, the tragic death of her mother which forced Buffy into a mother role. There were strong indications that the show was going to be cancelled. Because of that the season ended on the perfect note, Buffy sacrificed herself to save the world again and the show zoomed in on her gravestone. It was sad and powerful but a perfect ending to her character.

So bringing it back on another network was the jump the shark moment. They bought back Buffy, but the show had a different and darker feel. Buffy wasn't Buffy anymore, she was gloomy and angry and dark and it didn't work, because a Buffy that doesn't care isn't Buffy. They kept trying to make the show more interesting by throwing in darker and darker story lines. Buffy bangs Spike as its the only time that she can feel. Zander dumps Anya who goes back to being a vengeance demon. Dawn steals everything, Giles goes away, Willow becomes addicted to magic. They tried to insert some levity with the Trio who were great, but the season didn't need a big bad, but we got one in Dark Willow who tried to destroy the world.

The season had some exceptional episodes, Hells Bells, Once more with feeling, the last three episodes with Willow while having dumb moments let the actors really work. It got worse in the final seventh season as the show limped along and mercifully ended.

3) The Brady Bunch gets creepy

Like Happy Days, the Brady Bunch was a cultural Icon. Cheesy with a do gooder family it connected and had good comedy and was one of the last old fashioned comedy before trash TV took over the airwaves.

But the Writers had a problem as the younger characters got older and the Writers feared that they were losing connection with their younger fans. So they introduced the creepy Cousin Oliver. Deemed as a mistake by the writers, Cousin Oliver threw the show off balance and he was just a creepy creepy unsympathetic kid.

4) Two and a Half Men - Charlie Sheen leaves to drink Tiger's blood

I used to love Two and a Half men but lets be honest, it was built around Charlie and his dry human and moral delinquency. He was a cool character with serious flaws, but it balanced off the rest of the cast. Unfortunately Charlie went completely insane in real life and was bounced from the show and replaced by Ashton Kutcher. Unfortunately it completely changed the dynamics of the show and the writers panicked and tried to rebuild the show around Jon Cryer, it also didn't help that the boy lost his mind as well.

In the end they decided to get revenge on Charlie by killing him for good in the final episode, but at that point nobody was watching.

5) Moonlighting - David and Maddie get together.

Ok, this show was great because in real life these two actors absolutely hated each other, and some how it translated into this complete sexual chemistry that always lead to the question of when they would get together or even if. They dragged this out for a few season, and then they decided that these two would get together, and it fell flatter then a anvil falling on a kitten. The show never recovered from that because they couldn't play into the dysfunction of their real life relationship and the show was cancelled.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Literally only Happy Days.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Literally only Happy Days.
But figuratively it happened on any show where two characters who had sexual tension actually got together. A couple off the top of my head are the I Dream of Jeannie when she got with her Master and Frasier when Niles got together with Daphne. I'm sure there is a ton of other examples. It just ruins the on-going jokes.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

When Nikki married Victor for the third time! OMG.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

'The Principal and the Pauper', also known as the Armin Tamzarian episode of the Simpsons.

Edit: Thinking of this bad episode made me think about the best episode of the Simpsons ever. Perhaps your next list should be "Single Greatest Episode of a TV Show"?

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-14-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best 'Jumping the Shark' reference on a TV show ever:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffy is a tough one, because even after the fifth season, it was still very watchable. It's fall from grace wasn't that far. They were clinging to the ledge.

Heroes is one that fell apart after one season, but that might have something to do with the writers strike, when a bunch of producers thought writing was easy.

Mulder leaving the x-files was also a turning point. I remember how happy I was when there happened to be a decent episode after that.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to second the best overall episode idea. Maybe one thread for collecting nominees, and then a 'pick three' poll in a later thread. After this has run its course, of course. They are good time fillers.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dexter.

After recovering from the abomination of the third season with the Trinity Killer storyline and John Lithgow's incredible performance in season 4, the series started a slow, then ridiculously quick slide into terrible.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 11-14-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, in retrospect Lost, and the point was pretty much every time they wrote a new mystery with no intention of ever solving or explaining it properly.

If you look back at that show knowing how it ended you can find an accumulation of moments that were a collective shark jumping.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

X-Files: When the writers began to pull scripts out of their arses.

Edit to add:

Okay, okay, that was saltier than I intended. I think Fight the Future was when the show began to drop in quality significantly. I don't know if that was the moment the show jumped the shark (its been a long time) but after all the shadow conspirators were killed off, it felt very 'what's the point?'

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 11-14-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much any show that tried to continue after a lead actor left. The Office, X-Files, Two and a Half Men, etc. Other examples are:

-The Simpsons: The Principal and the Pauper
-Roseanne winning the lottery
-Weeds leaving the suburbs
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a lot of people still liked it, but I was never not about Cheers when Rebecca replaced Diane, the episodes got a bit more far-fetched.

Also in Family Ties when they had the baby, and again when Mallory moved out with Nick.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Dallas

The character Bobby Ewing is killed off in an episode as he is run down by a car as he was trying to save his wife Pamela Ewing in the 84-85 season. Actor Patrick Duffy moves on to other interests but things don't go well and Duffy decides to return the TV series next year. To bring him back the script writers decided to make the entire 85-86 a dream in Pams head in the 85-86 season finale

Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife says Grey's Anatomy, and I have to agree. Do you realize that the show is still on the air?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to absolutely love Law & Order SVU.

It is pretty much unwatchable right now.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
My wife says Grey's Anatomy, and I have to agree. Do you realize that the show is still on the air?
Yeah my wife watches it too, should've definitely ended a few seasons ago, shortly after they killed off Dempsey.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I used to absolutely love Law & Order SVU.

It is pretty much unwatchable right now.
I am torn about the insight into bensons personal life, but I think the rest of the show remains awesome.

When and where did they lose you?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
X-Files: When the writers began to pull scripts out of their arses.

Edit to add:

Okay, okay, that was saltier than I intended. I think Fight the Future was when the show began to drop in quality significantly. I don't know if that was the moment the show jumped the shark (its been a long time) but after all the shadow conspirators were killed off, it felt very 'what's the point?'
I thought the show still had some really solid stand-alone episodes well into season 9, and I thought Agent Doggett was a great character. The chemistry between him and Scully added a fresh dynamic to the show that I enjoyed, especially in the monster-of-the-week episodes.

But I agree, the alien conspiracy story lost steam and just became ridiculous after Fight the Future. By the start of season 7 the writers clearly didn't know how to continue or wrap up the story, and indeed pulled scripts out of their arses to try and keep the mythology going.

I only liked 3 of the 6 episodes from the revival series, and I was actually surprised it got renewed again for an 11th season. Apparently they have 10 episodes this time, so hopefully they can redeem themselves for that incredibly irritating cliffhanger from the last episode.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am torn about the insight into bensons personal life, but I think the rest of the show remains awesome.

When and where did they lose you?
They really like to make episodes that imitate real life events and it's just really... boring.

When Chris Meloni was on the show, the show was kind of over the top and less predictable. It was a lot more fun.

The show is predictable now.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote