Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
We have zero right wing depth, it needs to be addressed.
Yes, but that batch of trades isn't going address it. There are actually more RW's leaving in those trades than there are coming to the Flames.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #82
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Not sure if this is on topic or not but:

I think the Jets are making a major mistake in trying to re-sign Andrew Ladd.

Apparently they have tabled a 6 year 6 million per contract. To me that seems completely ludicrous. A guy who is without a doubt in the back end of his career, has never scored 30 goals, never tallied more than 65 points and they are offering him 36 million dollars. I know he wears the 'C' but he is currently the captain of a team that is last in its division and carries the fifth worst record in the league. What exactly is Chevy trying to maintain with this team? Clearly this iteration of the Jets is not succeeding. Move on! Make the tough decision and trade Ladd, save your money for something else. You have the better player in Buff. You have Schiefle and Trouba coming up as RFAs worry about them.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #83
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yes, but that batch of trades isn't going address it. There are actually more RW's leaving in those trades than there are coming to the Flames.
Rattie is a RW and if IIRC Pirri plays RW in Florida. So at worst it is even.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #84
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
THW predicts the trade deadline:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-trad...tential-deals/

For the Flames:

Hudler to Florida for Pirri and Olsen
Russell to St. Louis for Rattie
Hiller, Jones, Shore for Chartier and 5th
Chartier is somewhat intriguing, I don't mind that deal, mainly because it has our worst expiring deals going the other way. I really don't think that a pile of junk can be condensed into a decent prospect like that though.

No thanks to Rattie and Pirri. They are/will be 3rd line tweeners at best IMO and Olsen is worthless. I'd rather just get draft picks for our two best UFAs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #85
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dont like any of those returns. How does that make us better going forward?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sharks might be looking for a backup goalie

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-backup-goalie
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #87
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sure seems like a whole lot of "meh" to me.

I'd rather the Flames trade for draft picks myself, because we already have plenty of underwhelming AHL/NHL tweeners and fair to middling NHL depth players.

I don't know about these particular trades but we definitely need a tweener or two to surprise us with a breakout season.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #88
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, Pirri has some upside. 30 points in 51 games, 24 years old almost a 0.5 clip for his career. Not a bad piece really but his downsides are he's a center which we have enough of, a lefty also an abundance for us and he is smallish at 6 foot 180.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hiller owns the Sharks. I could see them being interested - especially is some salary is retained.

Problem is that it is pretty hard to trade him with Ramo hurt.

We should get a report on him today though
Old 02-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #90
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

As far as the Sharks are concerned, Hiller is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #91
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather sign a 26 year old half point per game player in the off season than pay for an almost 25 year old who hasn't improved like Pirri.

Ex. Perreault had 43 points in 69 games as a 26 year old in Anaheim, then signed in Winnipeg.

Or like us when we signed Frolik
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #92
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing about Pirri is that his shot is elite level. He can score from almost anywhere on the ice if he has a clear lane. Think about putting him on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan where he can finish plays in the offensive zone and Monahan can do more work on the defensive side of the puck. Pirri has flaws, but the man knows how to score goals if he has a good set up man.

He can be had for relatively cheap at this point too. Not a bad guy to get for an expiring UFA who would end up costing you much more than Pirri anyway.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #93
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'd rather sign a 26 year old half point per game player in the off season than pay for an almost 25 year old who hasn't improved like Pirri.

Ex. Perreault had 43 points in 69 games as a 26 year old in Anaheim, then signed in Winnipeg.

Or like us when we signed Frolik
Totally agree. I think this would be more of getting something for what we will be considering .. Not very much? Don't wanna say Hudler is nothing so..
Old 02-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #94
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
One thing about Pirri is that his shot is elite level. He can score from almost anywhere on the ice if he has a clear lane. Think about putting him on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan where he can finish plays in the offensive zone and Monahan can do more work on the defensive side of the puck. Pirri has flaws, but the man knows how to score goals if he has a good set up man.

He can be had for relatively cheap at this point too. Not a bad guy to get for an expiring UFA who would end up costing you much more than Pirri anyway.
Can he play the right side though? He's a left-hand shot, but if he likes to shoot on his off wing, I think he could be a good gamble.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #95
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who would we want from Buffalo that may be available?

for the past two months. The Flames sent their scout to Buffalo again on Thursday night, On Wednesday night, the Sabres sent two scouts to Calgary to watch the Flames v. Carolina Canes game.

Tim Murray may have found his veteran left shot D in Calgary's Kris Russel. The 28 year old former Medicine Hat Tiger will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1. It is appearing more likely by the day that Flames GM Brad Treliving is looking to trade his rental players in Russell and 32 year old center/winger Jiri Hudler.

Russell leads the Flames with 160 blocked shots. He skates 22:49 TOI per game. He has landed 52 shots on enemy goalies.

Russell has 3 goals and 11 assists this season. He earns $2.6 million in the final year of his contract.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...Ripper/6/74540
Old 02-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #96
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo?

Connor Hurley
Vlad Karabacek
Linus Ullmark
Eric Cornel
Nick Baptiste

they'd be great prospects to grab.

Main roster

McCabe
Bailey
And they have a boat load of picks.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #97
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Who would we want from Buffalo that may be available?
It starts and ends with Hudson Fasching.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #98
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Can he play the right side though? He's a left-hand shot, but if he likes to shoot on his off wing, I think he could be a good gamble.
He has played the right side enough to make me think he can do it full time, but he's probably more comfortable on the left side.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #99
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He has played the right side enough to make me think he can do it full time, but he's probably more comfortable on the left side.

You've obviously seen him more than I have but (and I've mentioned this before) I only ever see Baertschi when I look at Pirri.

Similar, and I would imagine equally frustrating. I don't really see a player worth investing in.

Confirm? Deny?
Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #100
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You've obviously seen him more than I have but (and I've mentioned this before) I only ever see Baertschi when I look at Pirri.

Similar, and I would imagine equally frustrating. I don't really see a player worth investing in.

Confirm? Deny?
Deny to a degree. He can be an extremely effective player in the offensive zone, especially on the power play. He can be inconsistent in terms of his ability to effectively back check and take care of his own zone, hence why I mentioned putting him with a very responsible center (maybe Backlund would be better). However, he's very quick and can finish a play that few others can. The Flames have very few pure goal scorers in their mix, so Pirri would be valuable as long as you're not expecting him to be Michael Frolik (a balanced player). The one thing about him that frustrates me more than anything is that he's very selfish, and he shoots at the smallest opportunity. Now, considering his skill set, that makes sense to a degree, but he could be such a good player if he figured out how to see a play unfold a little more and have enough patience to pass it off to another player. If he developed that ability, he'd be a very good top 6 winger. As he is now, he's not consistent enough to be in the top 6 on a regular basis.

So, similar to Baertschi, but different, and he's a sniper instead of being a playmaker. However, when Pirri wants to be effective, he's extremely effective.
Closed Thread