Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #2241
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Danielle Smith is banking on winning every single rural riding and half of Calgary. Of course what she doesn't know is the pulse on how much support she's going to get on a clean sweep of the rural ridings. I'd be surprised if Shannon Phillip's seat was flipped, and even Danielle mused that she might lose Rimbey-Rocky Mountain House-Sundre.

What does this mean?

I'm starting to see that outside of an Orange Crush in Calgary, a minority government might a distinct possibility. Even Alberta Party candidate Kerry Cundal mentioned on Twitter this might be where the AP can hold a card.

Does Alberta fair any better if the UCP win a minority government? Is this the realistic way to contain alt-right Danielle politics without NDP votes?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #2242
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Smith is so bad that I am actually going to vote for the party that seemed to have a personal vendetta against my profession and will actually cost my business money, as they would immediately reinstate the way they calculate holiday pay for employees and would likely limit future fee guide increases. They would also reinstate their carbon tax to replace their federal one which be more costly to me as well.
This is how bad Smith is!!
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #2243
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Smith is so bad that I am actually going to vote for the party that seemed to have a personal vendetta against my profession and will actually cost my business money, as they would immediately reinstate the way they calculate holiday pay for employees and would likely limit future fee guide increases. They would also reinstate their carbon tax to replace their federal one which be more costly to me as well.
I work in O&G, and can not for life life of me find a justification to vote for the UCP. But y'all probably already know that last bit.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #2244
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sane conservative voters would realize that the ANDP is virtually now on the same position on the political spectrum as the PC's from a generation ago if you actually research their policies and what they support.
I'd like if you can explain this. I don't think I agree but my mind is open.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #2245
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Danielle Smith is banking on winning every single rural riding and half of Calgary. Of course what she doesn't know is the pulse on how much support she's going to get on a clean sweep of the rural ridings. I'd be surprised if Shannon Phillip's seat was flipped, and even Danielle mused that she might lose Rimbey-Rocky Mountain House-Sundre.

What does this mean?

I'm starting to see that outside of an Orange Crush in Calgary, a minority government might a distinct possibility. Even Alberta Party candidate Kerry Cundal mentioned on Twitter this might be where the AP can hold a card.

Does Alberta fair any better if the UCP win a minority government? Is this the realistic way to contain alt-right Danielle politics without NDP votes?
A minority government requires a third party to win seats, and likely quite a few seats. Alberta Party would have the best shot, but does anyone see them as getting more than 1 or 2 at best?

You can't have a minority government in a 2 party system.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #2246
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580691594164211715
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #2247
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
A minority government requires a third party to win seats, and likely quite a few seats. Alberta Party would have the best shot, but does anyone see them as getting more than 1 or 2 at best?

You can't have a minority government in a 2 party system.
I know that. Which is why the AP might be set up well going into 2023 for a pivotal role. AP just needs to win 1-2 seats to cause problem's for Danielle Smith's strategy.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #2248
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess if we are quoting the Beaverton.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580982266787921920
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #2249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://338canada.com/alberta/map.htm

If you look at the riding map(last updated early Sept, before the Dean of Delusion took over-so probably worse for UCP now), the NDP looks to have potential in Banff/Canmore, which makes sense. Same with 2 ridings in Lethbrdge(this will be interesting, because the smaller cities aren't actually rural, and probably share more values with Edmonton and Calgary.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #2250
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I guess if we are quoting the Beaverton.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580982266787921920
Is that the kind of place you get your "news" from, or are you posting it as a satirical retort to the Beaverton making strangely accurate headlines? So tough to tell these days.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #2251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, oh wow, I actually listened to that. Frankly I'm amazed he is capable of manufacturing so many straw men, being all holed up in his parent's basement like that.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #2252
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Haha, oh wow, I actually listened to that. Frankly I'm amazed he is capable of manufacturing so many straw men, being all holed up in his parent's basement like that.
Yeah but the video has 84 likes so it’s gotta be legit
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #2253
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody who is cool with Danielle Smith’s “most discriminated against” comment is a complete moron and should be discriminated against because of their utter ignorance. Sorry to anyone in this thread who that applies to.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #2254
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I dunno, I’m kind of pleased Yoho is finally admitting the stuff he posts is no better than satire.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #2255
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580939834750734336
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #2256
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Classic lying MSM polls.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #2257
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I work in O&G, and can not for life life of me find a justification to vote for the UCP. But y'all probably already know that last bit.
Out of curiosity what specifically were they actions they took directly against that industry. I understand there were some rhetoric for the base, but what actions?

Best I can think of.
The royalty review turned out to make sound recommendations that were followed by the NDP. The carbon tax was a negotiation about goodwill with with the feds, to try and explicitly push things like transmountain through (which the feds did put their own money and reputation behind that project even if they did not succeed) because the feds wanted a province like Alberta to give them some political cover to implement their own carbon policy. Investing in energy diversification isn't an attack on a specific industry it's more a pragmatic hedge against future market changes. These are the type of decision any decent fiscally conservative government would have considered, not really an out right attack on an industry.

2015 wasn't the best time for the Oil industry but that was more driven by global markets, increases in US gas production...

I think we really should be able to separate the desire to move away from fossil fuels, and respect for the existing industry / understanding of the societal need that it currently fulfills. Accepting the first premise is not an attack on the second, but it is a risk that people working within the industry should understand.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #2258
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fat chance the NDP wins unless the UCP splits up in the mean time.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #2259
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could have an exciting Alberta-apocalypse scenario where the NDP wins the most seats but loses the popular vote as I'm sure the UCP will win the rural ridings by approximately 100%.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #2260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580942099603562496

Such confidence she inspires.