Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #81
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The stats would follow the same roller coaster that the standings do. They are just as vulnerable to good year/bad year, hot/cold goaltending, who you play with (for individuals), etc

If that's all we wanted to analyze why even have this thread for individual players. We can go check plus, minus and points on NHL.com going by your logic. Data visualization is so much more interesting to look at and provides more indepth analysis that the average person can understand.

Not saying you're wrong if you want to go look at Nhl.com and aren't interested in more indepth stats. Not saying you're wrong if you want to go export the Excel and tabulate your own stats yourself either. I just personally enjoy these type of visualizations and would enjoy more of it. It explains the "Why" of the equation not just the end result and any layman like me can kind of understand the "Why" of it because its visualized.

Last edited by Psytic; 08-20-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #82
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
All right some quick requests:

The marvelous Elias Lindholm:
Spoiler!

#1C on the 2021-22 Stanley Cup winning Calgary Flames, Jack Eichel?
Spoiler!

So Lindholm improving just a bit is the same as Eichel? Maybe just getting some shelter from the other teams top players.

So Lindholm and a prospect and taking on the extra cap should be all the Flames offer for Eichel.

Or are these cards bogus?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #83
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many wins does a team of replacement players get? I’m curious if it’s just a relative number or there is absolute scale as well.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #84
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So Lindholm improving just a bit is the same as Eichel? Maybe just getting some shelter from the other teams top players.

So Lindholm and a prospect and taking on the extra cap should be all the Flames offer for Eichel.

Or are these cards bogus?

Did you read post 56?

I suggest you do that. Improving from 88 to 95 (noting that Eichel’s 20-21 was not up to par, as well) is not ‘just a bit’
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #85
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I hadn’t thought to look for Kylington and then in the other thread his name was worked in to a trade proposal

Looks like when Kylington cleared waivers they took a look at him too

I am not surprised by the numbers. He has some raw talent and I look forward to seeing if Darryl can help develop him

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349048414638645254
Old 08-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #86
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Connor Mackey straight up better than Kylington?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #87
Fourteen FTW
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wanna say thanks for the thread. Good stuff here.
Fourteen FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fourteen FTW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #88
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Is Connor Mackey straight up better than Kylington?
Maybe whichever one comes out on top offensively right off the bat. I mean, defensively neither are like...Nurse bad, but could evolve in their own end at least a bit.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #89
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Did you read post 56?

I suggest you do that. Improving from 88 to 95 (noting that Eichel’s 20-21 was not up to par, as well) is not ‘just a bit’
I suggest that you go back to post 56. Read along the bottom axis - 88 then go along the bottom axis to 95 then note how small the GAR/60 rises over that small distance.

The concept of getting Eichel is that he is supposed to be at 100% ..

I find it interesting that Johnny Hockey has a 91% QOC and Eichel some how has a sheltered 64% (Lindholm 99%). The eye test sees the other teams trying to put out their top line (Mackinnon and Schiefele) against Monahan /Gaudreau and the Flames trying to avoid this. How does Eichel get away with not getting head to head with the best players?
Old 08-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #90
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I’m not sure what you’re going for. Per60 stats multiplied out by ice time make a difference

As for QoC, it’s just data. Go to natural stat trick and you can see the breakdown of TOI for every player against every other player in the league. It’s aggregated and that’s the basis for QoC. The opposition is what it is

What I do know is that Buffalo is an awful team that is a perpetual bottom dweller and hasn’t made the playoffs in 10 years

I am not in the room for game planning but maybe opposing coaches feel the need to zero in on matching against Eichel because the key to beating Buffalo isn’t necessarily containing Eichel so much as it seems to be just showing up
Old 08-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #91
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ I’m not sure what you’re going for. Per60 stats multiplied out by ice time make a difference

As for QoC, it’s just data. Go to natural stat trick and you can see the breakdown of TOI for every player against every other player in the league. It’s aggregated and that’s the basis for QoC. The opposition is what it is

What I do know is that Buffalo is an awful team that is a perpetual bottom dweller and hasn’t made the playoffs in 10 years

I am not in the room for game planning but maybe opposing coaches feel the need to zero in on matching against Eichel because the key to beating Buffalo isn’t necessarily containing Eichel so much as it seems to be just showing up
I went to post 56 as you suggested and found the words that said that the goal production was not linear with the WAR %, but then when looking at the graph supplied the gap between Lindholm's 88% WAR and Eichel's 95% is in fact pretty linear. Over the last 3 years Eichel provides maybe a 10% bump on Lindholm.

If the Flames are all in on this sort of analytics they are not going to trade for Eichel.

The JFresh Analysis says that Flames already have a solid 1C that is in the top 12% of the league and Eichel is not much of an upgrade that uses up a lot of cap.

If the JFresh analysis is correct the Flames have the talent that demonstrates it on the ice and it all comes down to coaching and goal-tending. Treliving should be extended long term for putting together this analytics contender.

Gaudreau is basically too good to trade and should be looking at least a 10M x 7. and his last 2 years where he was #36 in ppg is really good but his 3 year ppg is great... 27th in the league. A legit top player on a lot of teams.

JFresh will have Gaudreau drop like a rock when 2018-19 falls off the 3 year moving average unless of course he puts up 99 pts in 82 games +18 this season to replace the 2018-19 numbers.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #92
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I still don’t know what your point is.

The Flames are not all in on analytics, and if anybody is all in based on analytics that would be crazy. Having said that, they do have staff that perform, utilize and interpret data. It’s a tool. If you’re building a house you don’t go all in on the hammer and wave off the saw.

Most people agree that Lindholm is very good, well above average, and that Eichel is among the top players of the league. Data suggests that Lindholm is very good and that Eichel is ranked higher, even including Eichel’s last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #93
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

This one is from before last season, when Markstrom was signed

https://jfresh.substack.com/p/jfresh...enzy-live-blog

Quote:
Now we’re talking. Some real classic July 1st-style money and term here. Markstrom is good - top ten starter in each of the past two seasons good. At least one proprietary model is even higher on him because of the number of rush chances Vancouver allows, which I’m open to but not willing to fully sign onto. Look, goalies are voodoo. Markstrom is almost uniquely consistent lately but that could change quick, as we all know. He stole quite a few games for the Canucks this year but he’s also prone to really bad starts as well. This deal could be a lot worse, but I’m not sold.

This was interesting, in his article he also looked at Lundqvist, Murray, Talbot, Khudobin and Holtby. These goalie numbers - I’m kind of with him, in the sense that future goalie prediction based on past results is often a crapshoot. Talbot had one very ugly season in his three year sample, and we all know where that was.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 08-21-2021 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #94
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Seemed like the place to put this.

NHL coaching by xGA and xGF vs average.

Sutter literally #1 (maybe 2 to Bednar), Ward a hot mess.

From @ineffectivemath vis Kent Wilson
https://twitter.com/user/status/1430233194410889217
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #95
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward is the worst Flames head coach ever.

And that's an impressively low bar.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #96
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

35-26-5

Good news I guess, the Flames must be pretty good if the worst coach ever has a winning record with them
Old 08-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #97
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huska is in there. Is that from his two games while Sutter quarantined?

Excited to see Sutter near the top. He and Markstrom are my primary grasp at optimism for this season
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #98
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
35-26-5

Good news I guess, the Flames must be pretty good if the worst coach ever has a winning record with them
ok
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #99
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
35-26-5

he started with what? seven straight wins? Can we assume those are on him? I am not sure we can.

After that? basically 500 (pt%age). This team is more talented than that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #100
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

You don't remember Don Hay or Greg Gilbert, do you?