Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #81
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, I am sure I just an annoying dog person but a dog barking over a span of 5 minutes when they get let out is hard to police and shouldn't be. A dog left in the backyard all day should be, even if they aren't barking.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #82
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, dogs are awesome, and in the words of the prophets Slipknot, People=S***. More dogs, less people please.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #83
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not supposed to be!

Should I just go around to everyone writing a serious post and say, 'that's not funny; give up the schtick?'

This is so dumb.
We know
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #84
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I often wondered how hard it is to train a dog to crap and piss in one spot. To me, if I owned a dog, that would be day one training. But no one seems to do it. Is it just to hard to do?
I had a large male yellow lab that I trained to poo in one spot and pee in another. It started with just observing his natural tendencies, getting him to understand the words "pee" and "poo", and then talking to him when it is time to do his business.

I have always found that if you have a close relationship with your dog, they will naturally want to do things to please you.

I also considered dogs to have the intelligence similar to a baby one to two years old, where you have to say things over and over until they get it.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #85
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Barking dogs don't bother me if they are just being dogs and bark when you walk buy. Dogs barking because their life is miserable, that's when I "Karen up" and call the city.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #86
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My dog problem - I live near a dog park, and people constantly throw their poo bags in my garbage can when they pass by. In the summer, it can really stink.

Maybe all I can do is move my garbage can inside my garage until pick-up day.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #87
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, I think barking dogs are fine. It happens, dogs bark.

However, when you leave the dog outside and it barks for 5-15 minutes straight trying to get you to let it back in? Annoying.

When this happens before 8 am or way late at night? #### off.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #88
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I had a large male yellow lab that I trained to poo in one spot and pee in another. It started with just observing his natural tendencies, getting him to understand the words "pee" and "poo", and then talking to him when it is time to do his business.

I have always found that if you have a close relationship with your dog, they will naturally want to do things to please you.

I also considered dogs to have the intelligence similar to a baby one to two years old, where you have to say things over and over until they get it.
Good to know. I figured they could be trained, I just don't understand why 99% of dog owners don't.

I trained my cat for a few things as a kitten. The first 6 months took some time and work, but it was well worth putting that time in for the payoff later.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #89
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I can’t stand barking dogs either. I am training my dog daily to not bark at everything, and we pay for behaviour consultants to teach us the best ways. It’s worked great. Effort. Make the effort. Buying a dog and just letting it be what it wants is dumb.

Also get pet insurance while you’re at it. Budget all these items into the pet budget, if you can’t afford it don’t get a dog.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #90
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Barking dogs don't bother me if they are just being dogs and bark when you walk buy. Dogs barking because their life is miserable, that's when I "Karen up" and call the city.
That’s a very reasonable viewpoint and not an issue at all. Almost anyone would do that.

Now if you were to know you simply hated a dog that barked at any point and were advocating calling the city and manipulating the truth to disguise your intentions and pretend you had the animal’s welfare in mind is when you enter the kingdom of Karen-dom. Don’t worry most of us never get there but some people believe the police and bylaw are their personal annoyance resolution service which is also strong Karen behaviour.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #91
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

One of my neighbours growing up in Dalhousie had his dog debarked. I always thought that was very considerate. The sound of it kind of yelping was still annoying, but it didn't carry so wasn't an issue. I'd do that if I had a dog and would fit it with a shock collar while waiting for the operation.

I think the biggest compliment you could ever receive as a dog owner from your neighbours would be, 'I didn't even know you had a dog.' If you're a dog owner and you hear that, you're doing something right.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #92
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Lol
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #93
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That’s a very reasonable viewpoint and not an issue at all. Almost anyone would do that.

Now if you were to know you simply hated a dog that barked at any point and were advocating calling the city and manipulating the truth to disguise your intentions and pretend you had the animal’s welfare in mind is when you enter the kingdom of Karen-dom. Don’t worry most of us never get there but some people believe the police and bylaw are their personal annoyance resolution service which is also strong Karen behaviour.
Imma call Photon on a barking dog in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #94
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of my neighbours growing up in Dalhousie had his dog debarked. I always thought that was very considerate. The sound of it kind of yelping was still annoying, but it didn't carry so wasn't an issue. I'd do that if I had a dog and would fit it with a shock collar while waiting for the operation.

I think the biggest compliment you could ever receive as a dog owner from your neighbours would be, 'I didn't even know you had a dog.' If you're a dog owner and you hear that, you're doing something right.
Please never get a dog.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #95
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And as usual we get to the jumping the shark moment of the Sliver dog threads. It can pretty much be shut down now, the cycle is complete.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #96
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard not to agree that lying to get bylaw to deal with a dog that barks once or twice for a few seconds is Karen level behavior. I have no tolerance for the dogs that bark incessantly, but there has to be some level tolerance.

You're wasting my tax dollars harassing people for pretty minor stuff. We all do #### that's probably offside the bylaws at some point, do you want someone calling you out every time when its fairly innocuous.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #97
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And as usual we get to the jumping the shark moment of the Sliver dog threads. It can pretty much be shut down now, the cycle is complete.

Are you not aware of the procedure? It's an actual thing.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #98
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Hard not to agree that lying to get bylaw to deal with a dog that barks once or twice for a few seconds is Karen level behavior. I have no tolerance for the dogs that bark incessantly, but there has to be some level tolerance.

You're wasting my tax dollars harassing people for pretty minor stuff. We all do #### that's probably offside the bylaws at some point, do you want someone calling you out every time when its fairly innocuous.
Guys. I've only done this for dogs that bark incessantly.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #99
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the other hand i have huge respect when i see owners that have trained their dog so well it sits at an intersection or when people walk by.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #100
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you not aware of the procedure? It's an actual thing.
I know. Only ####ty dog owners who can't actually raise a dog do this. So if you're saying if you were a dog owner you'd be a ####ty dog owner, well, obviously.