Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #1061
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take that, progress!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #1062
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone read the decision? Was it an application for an injunction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #1063
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The City's last maneuver at helping their buddy boys in the taxi industry. Cabbies better take note that if this xmas season sucks as badly as the last 15-20 years have, there'll be spiteful response once Uber gets back at it.

Bravo, CoC.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #1064
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ers-in-calgary

Quote:
A Court of Queen’s Bench judge granted on Friday the city’s application for a temporary injunction to stop Uber drivers from operating on Calgary streets.

Justice G.H. Poelman said city officials made attempts to alert drivers and passengers about the possible safety and legal ramifications of using the ride-sharing service in the days and weeks after the company launched its uberX app in Calgary last month.

“It seems clear to me from the publicity that the respondents were aware or should have been aware of the city’s position,” Poelman said.

City lawyers will seek a permanent injunction at a full hearing Dec. 17 until safety, insurance and regulatory requirements are met.

Colleen Sinclair, a lawyer for the city, said enforcement would continue but hoped the court order would compel drivers to stop operating.

“Our expectation … is that because the court has proclaimed this court order this afternoon that people will stop driving,” Sinclair told reporters.

“If they breach the court order and if we as the city can establish that they’ve breached the court order they can be brought back in front of the court and be held in contempt of court.”
Quote:
Christian Popowich, a lawyer representing most of the drivers named in the affidavit, argued Calgary’s livery transport bylaw was outdated, written before peer-to-peer ride sharing existed and shouldn’t apply while city officials work to update the law.

“This is all going to be rendered moot in a very short time,” Popowich told the court.

He declined to speak to reporters following the ruling.

Poelman said it would set a dangerous precedent to not enforce an existing bylaw because the city was in the process of revising its laws.

“The respondents do not get to choose which laws are out of date,” Poelman said.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #1065
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

There are stats that demonstrate a reduction in drinking and driving if I recall. Anything decision therefore against Uber operating seems to me to be the most unsafe.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #1066
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fail to see why there can't be some compromise on both sides of this. City could update bylaws as necessary and Uber could gets its act together instead of perceiving following the rules as a sign of weakness.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #1067
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont find that.

Anecdotally of course, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Taxis in most places, Vegas, New York, Mexico, Tahiti, most of Europe, although in Europe taxis are outrageously expensive. I remember telling a Black Cabby in London that I only wanted a ride I didnt want to buy the freaking car.
LOL, taxis's are the one part of my foreign trips where I can always count on getting ripped off. Seville (claimed it was a flat fee to go 5 min , Buenos Aires (huge uncessary detour to "avoid traffic"), Cape Town (whatever, don't take my kidney), Faro (drove like Fangio himself), and yes, Vegas.

Hell, there's even a commonly known expression for it. "Being taken for a ride"
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #1068
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Nenshi!
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #1069
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

On a trip to Calgary yesterday I ran a very scientific test. I left a bar on 5th avenue last night after last call, walked across the street to a cab stand at a hotel and got in a cab. The driver took me a few blocks to pick up my bag and then drove me to Altadore. He was pleasant the whole time and happily accepted my debit card as payment. This morning I used Uber to get back downtown. The car took eight minutes to pick me up and then took me back downtown. Again, the driver was friendly and happily took me where I needed to go in the most direct route.
Both fares were similar.

My take is that cabs are great if you are near a hotel and can walk in. Uber is great if you need to call one to pick you up. You find out who is going to pick you up and can see the drivers progress. I also think uber is completely unnecessary if the city allowed the market to set the number of cab licenses and allowed an app like Lyft to exist. A caveat though is that I have had several issues in the past with cab drivers refusing to accept plastic forms of payment. I also used to have problems in Edmonton getting cabs to take you to Leduc from the airport. The trip is too short in their mind and they would continuously argue with you. You typically had to be very firm or offer extra cash to get the ride.

I have used Uber a half dozen times in Edmonton as well and had very similar results.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #1070
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speak with your wallets.

Arrange rides with friends if possible over thr Christmas and new year's season. If you are forced to cab it, don't talk the driver step by step through the trip, they should know the route. Report any violation of the distracted driving law to the company and the city. Don't tip, let them know that it's their company's fault for trying to stifle competition.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #1071
Buzzcock
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Speak with your wallets.

Arrange rides with friends if possible over thr Christmas and new year's season. If you are forced to cab it, don't talk the driver step by step through the trip, they should know the route. Report any violation of the distracted driving law to the company and the city. Don't tip, let them know that it's their company's fault for trying to stifle competition.
Really? There's a lot of vitriol for cabbies in this thread but taking this out on someone that's still providing you with a service and had nothing to do with the injunction isn't very fair. If the service was good - tip approriately.
Buzzcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #1072
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They are still being paid for the trip, even without the tip
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #1073
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
There are stats that demonstrate a reduction in drinking and driving if I recall. Anything decision therefore against Uber operating seems to me to be the most unsafe.
On the other hand, based on the stats recently released by California, Uber/Lyft drivers get into accidents and collisions at a rate of close to 18/million miles. That's 3-6x more than the overall rate.

Last edited by accord1999; 11-21-2015 at 10:20 AM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #1074
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

This city council has really disappointed me with the entire UBER situation. Woke up to the news it is now suspended (not that unexpected). My hope is that the city taxies wake up to the fact they need to provide a much better experience. I would wager at least 1/2 Calgarians support UBER or at least the idea of more options. Sadly I feel like it will be the opposite and things will go back to how they were before UBER pushed its way into town. Just in time for the holidays!

Last edited by Jbo; 11-21-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #1075
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will be holding Nenshi and City Hall personally responsible for any upswing in drinking and driving during the Holiday season. Maybe this media whoring joke of a mayor would have had something in place by now if he didn't spend his days running from media outlet to media outlet building his own brand nationally instead of actually serving the citizens of Calgary.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #1076
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everyone should refuse to give a single penny of a tip to taxi drivers until the free market is restored.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #1077
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I will be holding Nenshi and City Hall personally responsible for any upswing in drinking and driving during the Holiday season. Maybe this media whoring joke of a mayor would have had something in place by now if he didn't spend his days running from media outlet to media outlet building his own brand nationally instead of actually serving the citizens of Calgary.
I think banning uber is stupid. But I also think blaming the mayor for an upswing in drinking and driving is ridiculous. People who choose to drink and get behind the wheel have no one to blame but themselves. No one.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
adc
Old 11-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #1078
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I think banning uber is stupid. But I also think blaming the mayor for an upswing in drinking and driving is ridiculous. People who choose to drink and get behind the wheel have no one to blame but themselves. No one.
When it's -15 and people can't get a cab, some people are going to do stupid things, and the mayor and City Hall will are directly contributing to the lack of responsible rides home. So no, blaming them for spikes in drinking and driving is not stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #1079
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
When it's -15 and people can't get a cab, some people are going to do stupid things, and the mayor and City Hall will are directly contributing to the lack of responsible rides home. So no, blaming them for spikes in drinking and driving is not stupid.
No. Council has absolutely bungled the rideshare bylaw situation, no doubt, but absolutely no one is responsible for drinking and driving except for any selfish ###### who does it. Trying to place blame elsewhere is ridiculous. even if there were zero taxis and zero public transport and literally private vehicles were the only option, drinking and driving is still a choice by that person and the wrong choice. Don't blame anyone else - makes it seem like a few bad decision makers after a night of drinking is reasonable to expect and we should somehow protect them from themselves. It's not and they deserve every bit of vitriol for being selfish and stupid.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #1080
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Again, people who get behind the wheel of a vehicle after they've been drinking are making a selfish, potentially fatal decision. There is no rationalizing, no excusing, no explaining, nothing. Take that B.S elsewhere.

I can't wait for the headlines "crash kills family after drunk driver left with no choice but to drive after uber shut down". I'm so tired of this B.S. People who drink and drive are selfish menaces. If people choose to do it whether it is +15 or -100, they don't care about anyone on the roads except themselves.

Put your blame where it belongs, the people who choose to drink and drive.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 11-21-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote