Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #21
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
He was a kid. As a father of a developmentally challenged child, I think its sick that society is pulling out pitchforks for something a 14 year old did. Do you remember being 14? Deny it all you want, but you did stupid things at 14. Some of the comments here are disgusting. I guarantee there are posters here who went through juvenile hall (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is), learned from it and are well-adjusted adults today. We can't afford an 18 year old the same opportunity? Sad.
The fact that the mother of the kid he bullied says he still hasn't apologized directly speaks volumes here.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was a kid. As a father of a developmentally challenged child, I think its sick that society is pulling out pitchforks for something a 14 year old did. Do you remember being 14? Deny it all you want, but you did stupid things at 14. Some of the comments here are disgusting. I guarantee there are posters here who went through juvenile hall (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is), learned from it and are well-adjusted adults today. We can't afford an 18 year old the same opportunity? Sad.
No one is there best person at 14. I think that everyone has said, or done things that they regret. That said, there is a limit to forgiveness. Using racial slurs as a child and trying to move on from that is one thing, but fooling someone ( a developmentally changed person no less) to eat a candy that was in a urinal is another level. It is sick at 14 it is sick at 64. People need to face the consequences of their actions even when they are young, it is an important part of sharing the world around them. Should his whole life be ruined? no, indeed I think people should not be held to their mistakes as a child. But certainly calling suspicion to whether or not he should be a part of a professional sport team ( or any team, be that a business team or whatever) is completely fair.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but most of our "dumb youth" days' resumes don't include fake befriending and then racially ridiculing a developmentally disabled person of colour, including feeding them a urinal swabbed push pop and routinely physically assaulting them, resulting in a conviction in a youth court for which we never show remorse.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a challenging point, but I would offer he has been given the opportunity so far from 14 to 18: not just the bullying, but his attitude has not seemed to improve (i.e. nhl teams read on him as per this thread), if he didn't actually apologize (as per sureloss post in this thread), etc.

So, he's had many opportunities, but has not atoned for it. In fact, he is currently in a position of privilege - top flight nhl prospect - whereas the person he bullied is not.

I agree, however, that he needs some attention to help him with his challenges and work towards being a (much) better person. But, as I am sure you know, regardless of someone's specific situation, does not let them off with some degree of accountability. In fact, losing his potential nhl gig may be one thing that makes him realize what he's done.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #25
Pockets18
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you not read the part where teams felt he wasn't remorseful about the incident, or the part where he has yet to apologize to the kid he bullied for years?

The other kid who was implicated in the bullying apologized in person, why couldn't he?
Pockets18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pockets18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s doing and saying dumb things when you’re a kid, and then there’s being a gross and disgusting human being. This one falls into the latter.

This story is just gross and I’m glad we didn’t draft him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #27
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

First draft pick by new Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong. Ouch.

I also read that Miller's dad was a hockey coach (not sure what level)... read into that whatever you want.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Making fun of disabled persons is one stupid thing I never did.

And I did lots of stupid things (as did you, don't lie).

Is there redemption for this kid? Possible. But he needs to put in tons of work to reinvent himself and his image, and above all, show the genuine remorse and resolve to be better. I'm afraid a lifetime of being a jock and the best athlete in his school and his sports clubs have probably turned him into a such a dick that the above is likely not to happen. The Coyotes have a huge part to play in whether this kid is redeemed or not, but ultimately it's up to him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coyotes should have steered clear. People need second chances, but not sure that was the way to do it. Invite to training camp maybe with some groundrules? Coyotes are a ####show this year

Last edited by dustygoon; 10-26-2020 at 12:03 PM.
dustygoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The fact that the mother of the kid he bullied says he still hasn't apologized directly speaks volumes here.
It’s essentially the entire story.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #31
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boys will be boys, but most rotten boys will be rotten adults.

We all periods of d-baggery throughout adolescence. Most of us still knew the difference between right and edgy and abhorrently unacceptably wrong.

There is routine/typical bullying (still regrettable and unacceptable), and then there is deranged-level ####. Unfortunately, too much of the latter exists within youth hockey culture - I wouldn't be at all surprised if that contributed to this kid's moral deficiencies.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #32
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really don't believe racist #######s should be given second chances.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #33
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
In general people need to be given a chance to change. Experience changes everyone ( not always for the better), but I believe that any racist can learn and become a better person. Of course that needs to be proven and earned. But saying that once a person is a racist they should be shunned forever does not leave room for them to become a better person.

( note this is not talking about this kid in particular, and is in very general terms, there is a limit to everything).
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #34
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone makes mistakes and deserves the opportunity to change and make up for it.

That said, I’m not convinced this guy hasn’t already been given that opportunity to apologize and done **** all with it. What is he waiting for?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #35
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
A 14 year old is a child, and children should always be given 2nd chances.

His actions as a child are gross and criminal and the doubt that he's changed any in the following 4 years are understandable.
In my experience things like racism or tolerance are learned from our care givers and peers as children. Hopefully this young man - no longer a child - has become or will soon become a better person.

Any action he makes now towards restitution now will sound hollow but he should still do so. Even this late is better than never.

I'm also glad we didn't draft him.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, this comment is the one that rings disgusting to me. Chalking this up to be some "boys will be boys" thing? Give your head a shake.

I know some of you are older, but when I was 14, being a racist was clearly unacceptable. And I'm not talking about saying inappropriate things that you don't understand the gravity of as a joke with your friends. Did I use the N-word and think it was funny when I was 14? You bet. To me it was just a word you heard in music and in movies. Would I have ever used to referring to a Black person to belittle them or even as a joke, absolutely not under any circumstances, and not just because I knew it was wrong, but because I didn't understand why you'd use the word like that. THAT is being 14. Being 14 is not understanding how the things you say and do carelessly can cause harm. Not belittling a Black person and calling them a N-word. Bullying was also clearly unacceptable, and while unavoidable, it would take a uniquely ####ty person to do that to someone who had developmental issues. There's the type of bullying against people who can take it, which is awful in it's own right (and which I was a victim of plenty for who I am, so the "boys will be boys" nonsense defending bullies can eat ####), and there's the type where you're just being a predatory #######.

And here's the rub. At 18, even though I never meant to do harm, I still had remorse for some of the things I said and did at 14. For someone to do the type of harm he did, show no remorse, and not even apologise in person? Nah, #### this guy and the same goes for anyone defending him.

I'm not looking to burn him at the stake, I honestly don't care what happens to him outside of never wanting to see him in the NHL, ever. You don't deserve the gift of an NHL career when that's the harm you're capable of as a teenager.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #37
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish nothing but the worst for him.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #38
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sorry, this comment is the one that rings disgusting to me. Chalking this up to be some "boys will be boys" thing? Give your head a shake.

I know some of you are older, but when I was 14, being a racist was clearly unacceptable. And I'm not talking about saying inappropriate things that you don't understand the gravity of as a joke with your friends. Did I use the N-word and think it was funny when I was 14? You bet. To me it was just a word you heard in music and in movies. Would I have ever used to referring to a Black person to belittle them or even as a joke, absolutely not under any circumstances, and not just because I knew it was wrong, but because I didn't understand why you'd use the word like that. THAT is being 14. Being 14 is not understanding how the things you say and do carelessly can cause harm. Not belittling a Black person and calling them a N-word. Bullying was also clearly unacceptable, and while unavoidable, it would take a uniquely ####ty person to do that to someone who had developmental issues. There's the type of bullying against people who can take it, which is awful in it's own right (and which I was a victim of plenty for who I am, so the "boys will be boys" nonsense defending bullies can eat ####), and there's the type where you're just being a predatory #######.

And here's the rub. At 18, even though I never meant to do harm, I still had remorse for some of the things I said and did at 14. For someone to do the type of harm he did, show no remorse, and not even apologise in person? Nah, #### this guy and the same goes for anyone defending him.

I'm not looking to burn him at the stake, I honestly don't care what happens to him outside of never wanting to see him in the NHL, ever. You don't deserve the gift of an NHL career when that's the harm you're capable of as a teenager.
It is not about defending him, because it is indefensible - but it is about understanding how this came to be.

If a 14 year old acts in such a way, a responsible/good parent would correct the behaviour. If the 14 year old didn’t apologize/show remorse/work to correct his wrong doing, then corrective behaviour should have been forced on him by his parents - easiest being that they pull him out of hockey. The fact that no apology was made, and that the kid continued to play hockey makes it look like the kid learned this behaviour from his parents. If you come from a household like that, good luck on growing beyond your circumstances without significant external assistance.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-26-2020 at 12:46 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #39
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
One thing that bugs me is:

If true about the letter and apology, his words are ringing pretty hollow.
Not only that. When this happens you look at the parents.

Ask them, “Is this how you talk/act/speak/behave at home?”

I would like to say the kid can learn and give him a second chance.

What about the parents? Where are they in all of this? They should be front row center in owning the wrong doing.

They should be the one owning up to raising a 14 year old who behaved like a ghoul.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #40
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to give the benefit of doubt to a 14 year old, I do, but this wasn't one mistake. There was a clear pattern and you can see the difference between a stupid 14 year old making a very very stupid mistake and regretting it, and a ####head 14 year old mad that he got tattled on in this case.

https://cqrcengage.com/cfchildren/ap...ent/13312880?0

Quote:
"The biggest problem I have is [Mitchell] has been bullying Isaiah since he was in second grade, so I thought he'd have a more severe punishment," said Joni Meyer-Crothers, Isaiah's mother. "I truly believe Hunter is remorseful. I don't think Mitchell is remorseful at all, in my opinion. Him rollerblading by our house is a taunt. It's like him saying, 'I may not be at school, but I'm still here.'
What the magistrate had to say to Mitchell in the case:

Quote:
"Mitchell, I'm not sure you still get it," he said in the courtroom. "I don't think you like being where you are. But I still don't think you've put yourself in the shoes of not just the one victim but numerous victims. No one should come to school and feel humiliated or intimidated.

"If this is what you do in school, I wonder what you do outside of school. You're supposed to be on your best behavior in school. So if this is an example of your best behavior, I wonder what your worst behavior is. I don't have a sense of real remorse. But I do feel that you feel sorry for yourself."
Compared to the response of his accomplice:

Quote:
When the McKie youth was given an opportunity to speak in court, he was brought to tears describing how his life has been affected the past two months.

"First of all, I would like to apologize to Isaiah," he said. "I would like to apologize to my family and his. I want to learn from this experience, and I want to learn from my mistakes. I'm going to work as hard as I can to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. I made some dumb decisions and I have some growing up to do."
I won't crucify the guy, but I doubt he's a standup young adult right now.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: