Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #201
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Just to add to some great points in a very simplistic way. Our marketing failed us. Too much this;

Not enough this;

I like this post.
The two images certainly convey two different impressions, yet the reality is neither one accurately displays any valuable evidence about the industry. Looks are deceiving at the best of times.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #202
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I like this post.
The two images certainly convey two different impressions, yet the reality is neither one accurately displays any valuable evidence about the industry. Looks are deceiving at the best of times.
It plays to emotions. Speaking out about this rationally has not benefitted Alberta so far in this game.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #203
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I detect a spirit of angst blending away within you. Be calm... there was no affront intended just merely jovial wordplay.

So we got played... starting back in the 70's roughly when the USA recognized Canada's potential. Lobbying started, NEP was implemented, the development and construction of large processing facilities (think Joffre and Fort Saskatechewan mega-plex) started slowing down. Our government bought into external influences and stopped thinking for themselves, as well the decision makers out east looked after their people. Then, starting 10-15 years ago once it appeared that oilsands (SAGD, in-situ, tarsands, whatever you wish to label them) within Canada were clearly highly profitable there started a political and moreso public campaign which Federally was ignored and corporately was not recognized for it's danger. Somehow Canadian production became the bad guy despite implementing leading edge technologies that managed costs, environment, etc.

Next thing we had Hollywood celebrities flying over our open mines gasping in disbelief, yet they could/would not comprehend what they saw was on a lesser scale than many middle east, Russian, Indonesian, and African exploitation means. These other locations either would not allow these flyovers or engagement at all. These celebrities also did not, I assume, tour major production fields around the USA where drilling rigs were spud'd every 50m, where solution gas was freely vented to atmosphere (and still is), or no environmental issue gave cause to pause, stop, or approach development/exploitation by a more expensive yet more environmentally sensitive means.

Are there other resources that are being exploited that result in substantial physical damage, emissions, divided opinions, or Federal support/suppression? most certainly. And this includes the reality that full life-cycle of "green energy" which most often is anything but.

Anyways... that's my take on it. 'nuff said. Between this and all the other postings we've had a pretty good knowledge/opinion share.

You forgot that these celebrities were too lazy or too well paid to look in their own back yards. California's environmental record on their own oil fields is one of the dirtiest on the planet. Canada is easy to whine and protest about for these groups and celebs because we're pushovers, and because protesting in the States would probably get you arrested (oh the horror) or protesting in Saudi Arabia or China or elsewhere would get you killed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #204
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
As far as public opposition to O&G development goes, it is real and it is sometimes vehement. Even if it is misguided, and some of it certainly is, in a country like Canada policy makers need to walk the line. We can't just force pipelines through aboriginal territories or constituencies that are against them.

This is laughably comical considering the ridiculousness of Bill C-69 and what it did to Alberta's oil and gas industry.

Brett Wilson's take on Bill C-69 is something all Canadians need to hear.
Here is the link to Bret Wilson’s take on Bill C69 and how damaging it is, I wish more Canadians understood how damaging this was to Alberta, and Canada in general:

https://youtu.be/WeCf1BOv1QQ
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

C69 in combination with C48 is lethal

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #206
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alberta oil made it into the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/30/c...e=articleShare

These Zombie Wells Threaten the Whole Planet
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #207
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
C69 in combination with C48 is lethal
https://www.policyschool.ca/wp-conte...-Bill-C-69.pdf

Quote:
Specific to petroleum-based energy projects (oil, gas and coal), 50% of
projects under this activity type (14) remained unchanged from CEAA. Of
the project descriptions changed, 5 became less stringent (including a slight
increase in the storage capacity allowed before an LNG facility triggers
federal review) and 6 became more stringent through broadened scope.
Quote:
In situ oil sands extraction facilities are a new addition to the list,
with possible exemption: a facility with a production capacity of 2,000
m3/day or more will require review, unless the facility is located in a
province with a legislated (and unreached) greenhouse gas emissions limit
for oil sands sites. As such, this exemption currently applies in Alberta.
Quote:
The IAA list is arguably more lenient than CEAA on oil and gas pipeline proponents. Of the 4 oil and
gas pipeline entries, the impact is split: 1 removed, 1 less stringent, 1 more stringent and 1 new.

Most notably, the entry for a new onshore pipeline became less stringent, with both a reduced
threshold and narrowed scope.2 Only pipelines requiring 75km or more of a new right-of-way will
be designated, compared to 40km or more of new pipeline under CEAA; this means that pipelines
built within an already established right-of-way will no longer be automatically designated.
The
description was also amended to include pipeline decommissioning and abandonment and the
separate entry for those end-of-life activities removed, meaning only one federal assessment is
now required over the lifetime of a pipeline project.

Based solely on a comparison of projects that will automatically require federal review, it is not
likely that the IAA will be a disabler of major infrastructure projects, especially oil and gas pipeline
infrastructure, as compared to the outgoing CEAA
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cal_guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #208
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

Is there a good reason why the government didn't enforce cleanup of these wells over the last several decades?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #209
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

Interestingly enough I met with Alec when he was here this past summer researching for this story. Very nice and intelligent guy. I do like the article he wrote.

Only thing that bugged me is I asked if he did any similar research into the USA and their issues and he said he does know about it but that’s not what he was tasked with.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #210
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Interestingly enough I met with Alec when he was here this past summer researching for this story. Very nice and intelligent guy. I do like the article he wrote.

Only thing that bugged me is I asked if he did any similar research into the USA and their issues and he said he does know about it but that’s not what he was tasked with.
Thanks for this. A clear illustration that the best defense is a better offense. In other words, like magic, misdirection and small lies and say it enough times and people will believe you. Furthermore, control the media and you control the people.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:49 PM   #211
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Is there a good reason why the government didn't enforce cleanup of these wells over the last several decades?

Because that costs money and companies didn't want to pay it, so they successfully lobbied the government so that they wouldn't need to enforce cleanup.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 06:33 AM   #212
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least they didn't choose a sensationalist headline or anything.

So when can we expect these wells to come for our brains anyway?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #213
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is it standard practice in severance deals to add stipulations for not telling anyone outside immediate family, not disparaging the company, etc?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #214
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Layoffs in the Oil Patch 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Is it standard practice in severance deals to add stipulations for not telling anyone outside immediate family, not disparaging the company, etc?

My severance agreement had something that I could only share the details with immediate family and legal/financial advisor. Don’t remember any other clauses
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #215
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak to if it's standard, but it's not unusual.

https://ca.practicallaw.thomsonreute...ta=(sc.Default)
Quote:
This provision is commonly found in:
Settlement agreements.
Severance agreements.
Stock or benefits agreements.
Employment agreements.
Employee handbooks.
https://www.flodenward.com/post/wron...berta-releases
Quote:
Non-disparagement provisions basically say that you won't say anything negative about the company. In my view, it is frankly better for employers not to give employees anything to complain about during their employment/dismissal. Not all employers subscribe to this view and so will insist on non-disparagement.

I think there's been a couple cases thanks to the likes of social media and Uber that have had some interesting things happening but I think it's still a legal clause.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #216
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Mine was like that, yeah.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #217
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that even though it may be common, it still a clause in a contract that you don't need to sign.

If it's super important to you to be able to talk #### about your former employer (to the point you are actively trying to make waves),or reveal your severance, then that's a right you have as long as it's not defamation (depending on what other contracts you may have signed throughout your employment). Signing that agreement, agreeing to the clause, takes it away.

Get an employment lawyer if it's important to you, but I think probably most of us would try to fight for more money rather than the ability to talk #### if we were looking at legal counsel lol.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-09-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #218
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I would say that even though it may be common, it still a clause in a contract that you don't need to sign.

If it's super important to you to be able to talk #### about your former employer (to the point you are actively trying to make waves),or reveal your severance, then that's a right you have as long as it's not defamation (depending on what other contracts you may have signed throughout your employment). Signing that agreement, agreeing to the clause, takes it away.

Get an employment lawyer if it's important to you, but I think probably most of us would try to fight for more money rather than the ability to talk #### if we were looking at legal counsel lol.
Having been through this, Employment Lawyers are insanely expensive. So unless you think you're owed a substantial amount of money, and typically the difference between that number and the severance likely doesnt span the Gulf of the Legal Fees, its my experience that most employment law is about Vengeance. One way or the other.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #219
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Having been through this, Employment Lawyers are insanely expensive. So unless you think you're owed a substantial amount of money, and typically the difference between that number and the severance likely doesnt span the Gulf of the Legal Fees, its my experience that most employment law is about Vengeance. One way or the other.
Sometimes a simple demand letter can be sufficient though and they are relatively cheap.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #220
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sometimes a simple demand letter can be sufficient though and they are relatively cheap.
If thats your experience then it is what it is. Its not mine though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote