Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #41
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Does anyone have any insight on the boundary review that is going on? I heard speculation that Springbank could be split up and the boundaries of Trails West, Glenlake and Springbank redrawn to create a new area.

Also assuming Royals will gain some territory from NWCAA?
No insight but Hockey Calgary does these things every few years so it is not uncommon. I think we've seen about three in the 12 years my kids have been playing. Sometimes it involved our association and sometimes not. But it's healthy and natural to do this to keep numbers balanced and they do have a minimum and maximum recommended size for every association and once the numbers fall outside this they will probably make adjustments. Given the growth of west Calgary it doesn't surprise me to hear this. I can see Glen Lake taking some of Trails West and then Trails West absorbing some of Springbank. As far as quadrant goes I'm not sure how that works but I do know they adjust boundaries as necessary as well.

Typically in any review I have seen they will grandfather the older kids (probably bantam and midget) or at least give parents the choice as to stay or to move. Younger (Pee Wee and below) generally have to go to the new association. That gives families the option to keep their kids together in one association, or to keep kids together with friends they have been playing with for years (if older).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #42
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is set up to try to give weaker teams a chance at winning, otherwise it would just be a redundant precursor to city finals. The first game was made a league game to prevent strong teams from ditching their first game so that they could move to the easier b side. It is also set up to guarantee every team two games, including the bye teams, that means if you play the bye team you can't be knocked out if you lose your second game ( the loser of a bye game gets to play again in case the bye team loses its first game)
any insight on how the bye (or da boy team if you are from da rock) team is determined?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #43
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kids came to play in the first two games but were shut down in the third game by an excellent goalie. Typical Novice, its all about the goalie who happens to be in net that game. It's too bad, they handily beat one of the final teams in the seeding round.

I was quite proud of the team as the effort was top notch.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #44
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone have any insight on the boundary review that is going on? I heard speculation that Springbank could be split up and the boundaries of Trails West, Glenlake and Springbank redrawn to create a new area.

Also assuming Royals will gain some territory from NWCAA?
The last that I have heard is that there is a possibility of a new association which would have some Springbank, some Trails West (and I thought some Bow River, but possible Glenlake). This is a real challenge as this new association would not really have a home rink. The other challenge with Springbank, is that if you carve off too much of Springbank, and the remaining portion has too large of a proportion outside of the city, there there are issues. The other thing that I had just heard is folding one of the smaller associations in the north and moving boundaries over to the NE - apparently more ice available up there.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #45
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
any insight on how the bye (or da boy team if you are from da rock) team is determined?
Not 100% on this, but one of the managers of a peewee team in our association asked about it (her team got moved up a division and was curious where that team would be seeded in tournament). The response was it was 'random'. From what I can tell - it was random. In some cases the top team in a division got a by, some times it was the worst team. As someone mentioned, this is a hard tournament to win, as you have to get a bit lucky on draws and how your team plays. It would be nice to see the top 2 teams have to play each other, which would allow the top 2 teams to meet up in final. When my son was in novice it seemed like top 2 teams met up in A semi meaning the winner was 80%+ likely to win EMHW after that.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
The last that I have heard is that there is a possibility of a new association which would have some Springbank, some Trails West (and I thought some Bow River, but possible Glenlake). This is a real challenge as this new association would not really have a home rink. The other challenge with Springbank, is that if you carve off too much of Springbank, and the remaining portion has too large of a proportion outside of the city, there there are issues. The other thing that I had just heard is folding one of the smaller associations in the north and moving boundaries over to the NE - apparently more ice available up there.
Seems ice availability always seems to be a major factor in the discussion. I'm not sure how much Hockey Calgary has a say in that but I do know from past experience that ice and ice politics almost always come into play between the associations when they are. Ice is at such a premium that everyone is angling to get as much as they can. Large associations are receptive to merge or amalmagate with smaller ones (who might have lots of ice) with the eye towards grabbing that ice. The smaller ones on the other hand are reluctant to give up any of their own ice to larger associations and expect ice to come along with any players that are moved into their associations. It can get very heated.

The NE does have 'extra' ice that goes to teams from all over the city. Bow River get's enough ice at Village Square that it is practically considered a home rink for example.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #47
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our Peewee team lost in a shootout. Tough loss - but a fun game to be a part of. We were short handed and pulled our goalie to tie the game with 38 seconds left.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #48
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Seems ice availability always seems to be a major factor in the discussion. I'm not sure how much Hockey Calgary has a say in that but I do know from past experience that ice and ice politics almost always come into play between the associations when they are. Ice is at such a premium that everyone is angling to get as much as they can. Large associations are receptive to merge or amalmagate with smaller ones (who might have lots of ice) with the eye towards grabbing that ice. The smaller ones on the other hand are reluctant to give up any of their own ice to larger associations and expect ice to come along with any players that are moved into their associations. It can get very heated.

The NE does have 'extra' ice that goes to teams from all over the city. Bow River get's enough ice at Village Square that it is practically considered a home rink for example.
Yes... total joke - now that the new YMCA has opened - makes 9 rinks within 10 minutes of Rocky Ridge yet my sons team plays at 9:45 on a weeknight at Village Square...

He played three years of quadrant with practices three times a week at 4:15 in the middle of the week - very difficult when you work obviously - not to mention I'm paying $12k for him to play... Good stuff!

Last edited by BOSSY; 01-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my only experience with merging came from when our association mereged with a smaller one years ago. it seemed most of the parents from the smaller association were never happy with the larger as they felt they were just a number in the enw association and they also hated the fact that most practice for the younger kids were shared ice, versus the full ice that they had been used to.

my son mentioned his friend played a game not long ago from 9.45 to 11 on a weeknight. Game was in deep NW and they live in deep SE. Makes it tough to get up and be attentive at school the next day.

on the flip side the quad team run practices early so they can have easier access to so much ice time.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So playoffs have started.

How is it going for everyone?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #51
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We play our toughest competition tonight, and I anticipate we will get knocked to the B side. Not looking forward to this game at all, to be honest. My son was benched for half of the third period the last time we played (and lost) to this team. Will be some soul searching about playing next year if that happens again.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #52
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^^^^ Benched in community hockey? What kind of coach benches kids in developmental hockey?

Good luck to your boy tonight. I hope he plays the whole game, kicks ass, and teaches the coach a lesson in trusting kids.

ETA the b side is the easier path anyway. Just keep winning and it's there!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #53
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was a quick exit for us. Two games on the weekend, Saturday night and Sunday morning. Lost them both (hard fought but this team just had our number this year) so we are done. Playoffs started at 6pm Saturday and were done by noon the next day!! A very emotional day as my daughter graduates from midget this year so it was her final games in minor hockey.

Playoffs lasted a grand total of 18 hours for us this season. Good luck to everyone else who still has kids in the hunt.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #54
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had a tough season. We unfortunately peaked in the seeding round, where we finished first. I think we've won a total of 2 games since. We scored boatloads of goals then, now we couldn't hit an empty net in some games. Kind of frustrating.

My kid has been ok. I accepted a long time ago that we weren't going to be the same kind of players (not easy for overly competitive Dad here). When I was young, all I thought about was hockey. It's what I spent most of my time doing. I'd shoot and shoot until my arms were about to fall off. My kid has spent a total of about an hour and a half all year shooting at his net(for me that was a Thursday). He's a competent winger. I still wish he had a little more interest in it.

We lost Friday to a team we should have beat. The refs were unusually competent. We had power play chances, were disciplined, all that stuff. Just couldn't score enough. Our goalie and one of our D had a miscommunication that cost us one. We then tied it but gave up another soon after that wasn't a pretty one.

Our last shift had my kid's line out there. He'd spent the whole day in bed, not feeling well at all. He played short shifts the whole game. The last one he got stuck out there awhile. We did everything but score. Was so proud of the effort (I'm one of the coaches). He collapsed in the car and just wanted to go home to bed.

We play again this coming Friday. I hope they give a good effort.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We play our toughest competition tonight, and I anticipate we will get knocked to the B side. Not looking forward to this game at all, to be honest. My son was benched for half of the third period the last time we played (and lost) to this team. Will be some soul searching about playing next year if that happens again.
Good luck to your son. Curious to know his age, and at what level coaches are benching players because, what, the stakes are so high?

My son has state championships in a week and a half here in the US. He is on a Bantam AA team. Playing time should be relatively equally spread out, as your team is either good enough to win as a team, or not. Shouldn't be about who has the top 2 or 3 players.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sorry to hear this.

Your son's coach is a ####ing moron.

I am against benching kids at any level.

####ing idiot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
We've had a tough season. We unfortunately peaked in the seeding round, where we finished first. I think we've won a total of 2 games since. We scored boatloads of goals then, now we couldn't hit an empty net in some games. Kind of frustrating.

My kid has been ok. I accepted a long time ago that we weren't going to be the same kind of players (not easy for overly competitive Dad here). When I was young, all I thought about was hockey. It's what I spent most of my time doing. I'd shoot and shoot until my arms were about to fall off. My kid has spent a total of about an hour and a half all year shooting at his net(for me that was a Thursday). He's a competent winger. I still wish he had a little more interest in it.

We lost Friday to a team we should have beat. The refs were unusually competent. We had power play chances, were disciplined, all that stuff. Just couldn't score enough. Our goalie and one of our D had a miscommunication that cost us one. We then tied it but gave up another soon after that wasn't a pretty one.

Our last shift had my kid's line out there. He'd spent the whole day in bed, not feeling well at all. He played short shifts the whole game. The last one he got stuck out there awhile. We did everything but score. Was so proud of the effort (I'm one of the coaches). He collapsed in the car and just wanted to go home to bed.

We play again this coming Friday. I hope they give a good effort.
But he had fun right?

That's really the measure.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Unless your kid did something stupid diciplline wise, was injured, or is a danger to himself or others when he steps on the ice, there's no way he should be benched.

Especially in community hockey.

It goes back to what I've said in the coaching thread, there are way too many coaches out there that take these sports way too seriously, and that somehow wins and losses at a youth level matter.

I would hope that you ask the coach some questions about benching your kid, and if its anything but the above reasons that you let him have it in the nicest way possible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #59
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm the luckiest coach/hockey Dad in the world. The kid has perspective. Yes, he'll get excited over a big win. But a big loss doesn't ruin his life.

And he always has fun at the rink.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #60
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Up 2-0 in second round against NW Flames, hopefully wrap it up back here in Lethbridge tomorrow night.