Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #61
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
CBC has turned into the mouthpiece of leftwing identity politics. There is no nuance to anything they cover anymore, just shrill garbage journalism.
"Identity politics" = the right wing conservative name for civil rights.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #62
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
CBC has turned into the mouthpiece of leftwing identity politics. There is no nuance to anything they cover anymore, just shrill garbage journalism.
In their defense, CBC has been this way for decades. It's the rest of the media on this continent that has shifted more recently, all of it to the point of biased garbage.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #63
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Many interesting parts to this case and to say that racism isn't one of them is very disingenuous.

Around a third of the population around the North Battleford area is indigenous. The verdict came from an all white jury. The defence used a peremptory challenge on every single visibly indigenous looking person during jury selection.

Everyone who has grown up near the rural prairie areas knows people who drove around drunk or stole gas or snooped around on farms. Boushie and his friends were stupid and wrong to be driving around drunk and stealing but I don't believe for a second that if Boushie were a white kid that he'd have paid for his stupidity with his life. Indigenous people are NOT treated the same way in this country. Racism exists, especially in the rural areas, you better believe it does.

I understand the reasons why he wasn't found guilty of second degree murder. These kids were on his property and he felt threatened. Their testimonies were hindered by the fact they couldn't remember details due to being so drunk etc. The hang fire defence is completely absurd. He smashed their tail light in. His son smashed the windshield with a hammer. He lost it and shot the kid. He should have at least done some time for manslaughter.

Stanley himself also testified that he did not ever see the rifle, so the armed robbery self defense theory doesn't fly. The other two kids fled after he pulled his gun and fired two shots (they say he fired at them, he says he fired them in the air). Does anyone actually think the gun accidentally went off? Come on now.

Hypothetical situation: If a First Nations man put a gun near the back of a white kids head and pulled the trigger shooting him behind the ear, do you honestly think for one second that he'd get off scott free? That his trial would involve twelve First Nations jurors?
I have significant issues with complaints about it being an all white jury. Jury pools are selected through a reasonable process. The defense clearly thought that Native Jurors would be more likely to convict his client so he used his challenges. This was not the court saying that Native people were biased. This ability to select your jury is built into the process and used by both the prosecution to attempt to gain advantage. In your hypothetical I would suspect you would have more than a 1/3rd presence of First Nations jurors. Have racial requirements on jurors would undermine justice.

I agree with you that a manslaughter conviction would have likely been a reasonable outcome based on my reading of the evidence. I think the crown did a poor job with their witnesses and the forensic evidence.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #64
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Identity politics" = the right wing conservative name for civil rights.
Keep boxing people in little groups where your racial/sexual/class identity is paramount to who you are and you'll elect a demagogue here like Trump.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #65
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I obviously don’t know all the details (as it seems that the people involved don’t even know), but I highly doubt any jury would ever convict for murder in a case like this. Manslaughter may be possible, but the evidence wasn’t there to convict for that.

The story Stanley presented is probably closest to the truth. It should be obvious though that Stanley had no intention of killing anyone, and that any action he did would have influenced by the fact he was scared for his property, family, and his own life. The actual killing shot may not have been in self defense, but Stanley being in a self defence mindset is almost certain.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #66
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s too bad someone died from this and I agree with Thneed that he most likely had no intention to kill anyone. I imagine it was an accidental shooting if he did pull the trigger

But again this falls under play stupid games win stupid prizes for me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #67
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If he had no intention to kill anyone then how did the bullet end up in the back of Colten Boushie's head? The weapons expert said this particular gun doesn't go off unless the trigger is pulled.

He pulled the trigger. He claimed he thought he only put in two bullets and that he wasn't aware of the third one in the chamber and that there was a "hang fire" malfunction. That story reeks of bull#### to me. Again, the RCMP weapons expert testified that the chances of a hang fire were slim to none. One in a million.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #68
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

In other interesting local SK news, a white farmer was sentenced to two years community service, three years probation and 110 K in restitution payments for stealing 1.2 million in heavy equipment from local farmers.

If you were following the Boushie story last year after it happened, local rednecks were up in arms about property theft and were blaming "the Indians". Of course they were suspiciously silent after the RCMP found this guys stash.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he had no intention to kill anyone then how did the bullet end up in the back of Colten Boushie's head? The weapons expert said this particular gun doesn't go off unless the trigger is pulled.

He pulled the trigger. He claimed he thought he only put in two bullets and that he wasn't aware of the third one in the chamber and that there was a "hang fire" malfunction. That story reeks of bull#### to me. Again, the RCMP weapons expert testified that the chances of a hang fire were slim to none. One in a million.
What do you propose? If he'd been out hunting for blood he could have driven to the reserve and started killing people as the bloodthirsty killer you portray him as.

Or, he could have been minding his own business on his own property with his son, doing his own chores.

And then it all went to hell.

Did this bloodthirsty killer go out seeking trouble?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #70
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A short article but one worth reading and contemplating...

If your position is one that does not acknowledge the need for compassion towards the pain and fear felt by Indigenous people after the verdict, it is one that needs to be changed.

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/co...reconciliation
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #71
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What do you propose? If he'd been out hunting for blood he could have driven to the reserve and started killing people as the bloodthirsty killer you portray him as.

Or, he could have been minding his own business on his own property with his son, doing his own chores.

And then it all went to hell.

Did this bloodthirsty killer go out seeking trouble?
I think it's pretty obvious he shot a guy in a heat of the moment. At best he pointed a loaded gun at someone and accidentally discharged it, which is still generally considered manslaughter.

And what does it matter that he was minding his own business? No one has accused him of seeking out the victim. But having criminals come onto your property and attempt to steal something doesn't give you license to use lethal force.

I do wonder how this thread would be going if it was a African-American killed by a white farmer in Alabama. We'd probably be hearing a lot about Americans and their guns, racist southerners, etc. It's often a lot easier to see biases and entrenched racism from the outside than it is within your own society.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #72
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
In other interesting local SK news, a white farmer was sentenced to two years community service, three years probation and 110 K in restitution payments for stealing 1.2 million in heavy equipment from local farmers.

If you were following the Boushie story last year after it happened, local rednecks were up in arms about property theft and were blaming "the Indians". Of course they were suspiciously silent after the RCMP found this guys stash.
Why is race important here? I bet that if a bunch of drunk white hooligans showed up on his property doing the same thing, his trigger would have "malfunctioned" the exact same way.

Having moved to a rural property recently, I can tell you that it's a lot different. I could shoot a gun on my property (or someone could shoot at me) and the only people that would hear it is us. It's not like living in Bridlewood, where your neighbour can hear you talking on the phone. Nobody here to call the police for me if trouble rolls up my driveway, so I have a shotgun. I hope never to use it, but I would rather go to court and explain my actions than have my daughter grow up without a father.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #73
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I think it's pretty obvious he shot a guy in a heat of the moment. At best he pointed a loaded gun at someone and accidentally discharged it, which is still generally considered manslaughter.

And what does it matter that he was minding his own business? No one has accused him of seeking out the victim. But having criminals come onto your property and attempt to steal something doesn't give you license to use lethal force.
Under Canadian law, you are allowed to use lethal force against someone who is stealing your property when life threatening danger is also present.

In this case, he believed that his wife had been run over by people who were there trying to steal his truck and quad. He fired warning shots and never intentionally pointed a firearm at anyone, let alone one that he thought was loaded.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

I do wonder how this thread would be going if it was a African-American killed by a white farmer in Alabama. We'd probably be hearing a lot about Americans and their guns, racist southerners, etc. It's often a lot easier to see biases and entrenched racism from the outside than it is within your own society.
I dont disagree on any particular point. But here we are.

They went for this guy for Murder.

Why?

He exceeded the necessary force required to defend himself and there are provisions for that. Those provisions went unused.

Why?

I really dont care about the race.

They got nice and wasted and tried to rob a guy and things went south. And here there are people trying to blame to the guy who reacted to Hell opening up.

I have a hard time here. Leaving race aside, what do you do? If you want my God's Honest answer it would be this:

We need fewer guns. All around.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #75
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's racist because an all white jury found him innocent. Would it be less racist if an all indigenous jury found him guilty? Maybe the problem is juries. I don't see why we do it this way any more.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #76
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This seems like a very unbiased post.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #77
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Go read the social media response when this incident happened. It's disgusting and makes the term red neck seems all to kind.

For example

Quote:
In my mind, his only mistake was leaving witnesses."
Said by Ben Kautz a local councillor for one of the towns

Last edited by GGG; 02-11-2018 at 04:23 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #78
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I think it's relevant to point out the hypocrisy in people's reactions to theft in rural SK.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #79
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's relevant to point out the hypocrisy in people's reactions to theft in rural SK.

BS. You're the one that's making this out to be racially motivated, and now adding some other story about white people who steal to fit your narrative. God I hate that phrase, but there's no other way to say it. Every single thread like this, you are in them, pointing out the racism. Often, you have a good point, but this is not the case here. Whether Stanley shot Colton on purpose or not, had nothing to do with Colton's race.

You're just in here jumping on the opportunity to call white people racist. It's crap like this that causes justice to not get served. The case of whether the farmer shot the kid on purpose, turned into a media frenzy of "IS THIS RACIST!!??!"
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #80
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A short article but one worth reading and contemplating...

If your position is one that does not acknowledge the need for compassion towards the pain and fear felt by Indigenous people after the verdict, it is one that needs to be changed.

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/co...reconciliation
At some point, we need to stop feeling sorry for natives as showing compassion ends up giving natives a learned helplessness. Further, tribe leaders need to take a good look in the mirror as their selfishness (for some) is a contributing factor to the deplorable conditions on many reserves.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote