Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #13961
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
According to you, anybody who doesn't think the Flames are the worst team in the league is a homer. No wonder you see them everywhere.
Now, now. Not the worst team in the league, just bottom 5.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #13962
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Having him in the roster the last couple years has sure done wonders for us we trade him for someone like mark stone then you put andersson with gio. Gio is so good he can make any defenceman look like a hamilton. Making no trades makes us a bottom 5 team.
On this logic you also trade Tkachuk. After all, what's the team done since he's been in the lineup?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #13963
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's in Toronto. That makes him bad. I suppose if you trade for him, he's not there any more.

Seriously, I'm not sold on him as equal value for Hamilton. Hamilton has four years of consistency.
Hamilton is with Monahan and Gaudreau for me on the absolute do not trade list... so I agree with not making that deal.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #13964
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's in Toronto. That makes him bad. I suppose if you trade for him, he's not there any more.

Seriously, I'm not sold on him as equal value for Hamilton. Hamilton has four years of consistency.
I think he has been every bit as dynamic as Gaudreau was in his first 2 years. While I think Johnny is the superior player I feel Marner is a comparable player. He was unreal in junior playing with Tkachuk and I would love for them to find that chemistry again.

This might be the most silly part but I feel if the Flames made that trade they would really have an amazing sales pitch for Tavares. Their extremely successful top line now becomes their second line and Tavares would have the opportunity to ply with 2 dynamic young wingers for the foreseeable future.

If Tavares decided not to come then we would have either Jankowski or Bennett get an opportunity to centre those 2 leaving the Flames top line intact.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #13965
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever someone suggests a Hamilton trade...

Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #13966
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think he has been every bit as dynamic as Gaudreau was in his first 2 years. While I think Johnny is the superior player I feel Marner is a comparable player. He was unreal in junior playing with Tkachuk and I would love for them to find that chemistry again.

This might be the most silly part but I feel if the Flames made that trade they would really have an amazing sales pitch for Tavares. Their extremely successful top line now becomes their second line and Tavares would have the opportunity to ply with 2 dynamic young wingers for the foreseeable future.

If Tavares decided not to come then we would have either Jankowski or Bennett get an opportunity to centre those 2 leaving the Flames top line intact.
Tavares will go to whoever pays him the most.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #13967
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hamilton is 24 years old, which means he's still 4-6 years away from hitting his prime, and he just recently led the entire NHL in D scoring. His goal totals have increased every single year he's been in the NHL (5, 7, 10, 12, 13 and 17, respectively), and he would very easily be the 1A or 1B defenceman on any of the league's 31 teams.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people want to trade him. Especially when you consider we still have him locked up for three more years at an amazing 5.75 per.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #13968
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hamilton is our only trade piece that can truly help us address our scoring issues and land a top line player. No one wants to trade him but the logic makes sense. Our top 6 needs a boost desperately. Our back end is quite deep and we have good prospect depth. Not to mention I think its easier to fill holes on defense than it is upfront. You need dynamic forwards these days and the Flames severely lack them. I'm open to trading Hamilton if the return makes sense. I just don't see how we land another elite forward unless by some miracle we can sign Tavares.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #13969
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Hamilton is 24 years old, which means he's still 4-6 years away from hitting his prime, and he just recently led the entire NHL in D scoring. His goal totals have increased every single year he's been in the NHL (5, 7, 10, 12, 13 and 17, respectively), and he would very easily be the 1A or 1B defenceman on any of the league's 31 teams.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people want to trade him. Especially when you consider we still have him locked up for three more years at an amazing 5.75 per.
Just emphasizing, out of thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #13970
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fine with trading Hamilton if the return is as good as we think it could be. The list is long for nhl D-men that have looked elite with certain partners and situations, only to fall apart later in their careers. McCabe/Kaberle, phaneuf, Myers etc.

DISCLAIMER: I am not in anyway saying we should or must trade Hamilton, I just dont think it will be the end of the world of we do.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #13971
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Tavares will go to whoever pays him the most.
You don’t know that so don’t pretend that you do
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #13972
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton is very good, and his contract is very good. However he does have certain flaws. Which is why, despite his awesome stats, some people would consider trading him.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #13973
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Quick Friedman hit:

https://frshockey.com/nhl/friedman-w...e-trade-teams/

He shoots down a rumor that the Canucks offered 7th OA for ROR.

Flames related: Thinks the Flames are going to try and get into 1st round of this year's draft.
Not many players Flames are likely to trade who could fetch a first rounder.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #13974
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Friedman has beat this drum before. There must really be someone they want, I'd guess projected to go late first, early second, based solely on us not having enough to get early to mid first outside of trading our top talent.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #13975
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not many players Flames are likely to trade who could fetch a first rounder.
My guess is Treliving tries to trade Brodie for a first and second. If he does it before the draft that means he basically swapped Brodie for Hamonic plus paid a second to have them both for a season.

I know many will say Brodie isn't worth that, but Hamonic had a similar pedigree, contract, and was also coming off of a bad season. There were multiple offers for him.

Others will say the Flames can't give up a top 4 D for picks. But the reality is we have the D depth to cover the loss and recouping some picks would be great asset management and give us the project depth to consider other moves.
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #13976
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have to make a hockey deal. IMO they're very close, but need a but more scoring up front. Trading Brodie and not acquiring a top 6 right winger in return would be a massive failure. The Flames not picking in the first few rounds this year sucks but it's not going to set us back years and it's not the end of the world. I will be seriously ticked off if we trade a core piece for nothing but picks at this stage.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #13977
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The Flames have to make a hockey deal. IMO they're very close, but need a but more scoring up front. Trading Brodie and not acquiring a top 6 right winger in return would be a massive failure. The Flames not picking in the first few rounds this year sucks but it's not going to set us back years and it's not the end of the world. I will be seriously ticked off if we trade a core piece for nothing but picks at this stage.
The Flames have plenty of options to address the forward position that go beyond trading Brodie. There is speculation about Derek Ryan as well as other options in free agency. They have a glut of defensive prospects in similar stages of development. They have Bennett. They have draft picks next year.

If the Flames trade Brodie for picks and make no other changes this summer I will agree it's a failure. But trading Brodie for a first is good asset management (combined with the Hamonic trade) and it opens up options to trade other picks/prospects (because now they can afford too). It also clear up cap space.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #13978
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Hamilton is not a franchise Dman. He doesn’t even kill penalties. He is an extremely good top pairing Dman that has fantastic offensive abilities he also is fantastic at driving possession.

Like I have said before for me there is just something not right with that guy. I think it stems from the rumors he forced the Flames to acquire his brother and that was a reason he wanted out of Boston. I don’t like how he handled the media when the Coyotes did the Flames a favor by claiming Freddie off waivers.

Most of all I think the Flames have some great prospects on the blueline and sooner than later Andersson and/or Fox will be able to replace the offense from the back end. Kylington also had a very impressive offensive season in the AHL last year.

The Flames could shuffle the deck and trade Brodie for a 28-31 year old with 1-2 years left on his deal or they could potentially trade Dougie for a guy that could be on the team for the next decade. I don’t think Dougie is a leader so I don’t think he will ever be a franchise Dman. If there is potential to get a superstar forward in return I hope the Flames look at it. By no means should the Flames give him away as I agree acquiring him has been Treliving’s best move by far as GM.

I personally think they should shop both Brodie and Dougie and make the deal that improves the Flames the most this year and for the next 5+ years as well
Be honest. When Gio was Dougie's age, did you see him becoming Gio? Because I remember before we traded Bouwmeester reading post after post about how Gio wasn't a true #1. I wrote a bunch of them. I remember when Gio went to Russia - 'don't let the door hit you on the way to the gulag' was how that went. Nobody expected him to even come back, let alone become a franchise player and "culture setter" as Treliving called him.

Hamilton has shown himself to be exceptionally capable in all situations. He has physical tools Gio can only dream of. He's 24, and yes, he's going to make $9M on his next contract. I can promise, no team in the league would regret having 28-33 year old Dougie Hamilton at $9M.

Johnny doesn't wear a letter, and he probably never will. I don't believe Doughty wore an A full time or at all in either of the Kings championship seasons. Between Gio, Monahan, Tkachuk, Hamonic, Backlund, I'm not seeing the need for Dougie to be some Messier type. Especially not at 24.

Here's the ultimate problem with trading Hamilton. It makes everything worse. It makes the power play worse because Gio and Brodie aren't as good offensively as Dougie. It makes the top pairing worse because Gio/Dougie >>> Brodano. It doesn't do anything to hurt the PK since Dougie doesn't play on it, but it also deprives you of Dougie freaking Hamilton as your reserve PKer when a RHD takes a penalty.

Brodie is expendable; Hamilton is not.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #13979
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie for Miller and Coburn?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 AM   #13980
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Package Brodie with any D prospect not named Valimaki (who I think will grab the spot along Hamonic in camp) for a top 6 RH shot forward.

Brodie's value is probably around that of Hamonic's, meaning at least a mid/late 1st. Adding a solid prospect, i.e. Fox/Kylington/Andersson may get us a top 6 winger.

Problem is... everybody knows Calgary's woes. Look what Tatar costed (1+2+2?), sure, deadline premium, but still.

I get the logic behind trading Hamilton, but it creates an even bigger hole.

If Brodie + gets you Kessel I think you do it. The cap situation is goooood thanks to some solid contracts and Brouwer is coming off the books soon (or bought out). Kessel has four years left which pretty much falls in line with all our major contracts. It is a good fit, both hockey and cap wise.
Closed Thread