Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #101
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Question about Sibbald Lake Campground, I see from the site there's no power which is fine, but where is the closest place to fill fresh water and dump? Do I have to go around to highway 40 at the Barrier lake Visitor Information site or is there somewhere East so I can take the Sibbald Creek exit off the trans Canada highway?

thinking of going September 15th weekend, should I go out Wednesday to get a spot or is Thursday likely ok? I don't usually go first come first serve campgrounds this far away from the city

Thanks,
Camped there two weekends ago. There are fresh water hand pumps out there, but we never used them so I can't comment on the experience. We dumped and filled at Calgary West Campground for $10. It was easy and fast.

To get to Sibbald we took the Sibbald Creek exit off the number one. Nice paved highway for about 2/3 of the drive and then gravel and compressed gravel/asphalt. Warning: Right when it switches from pavement to the ugly road, there is a section of compressed gravel/asphalt which has some terrible potholes. I suggest slowing right down for that section. Once you get to gravel section, it's your typical gravel road with washboarding, etc. We never went over 45 on the gravel section.

We showed up at 9pm on a Thursday and had no trouble finding a site. I would think since you're camping in mid-Septermber it'll likely be the same for you on Thursday. There is no cell service.

As for going to highway 40 and then over, I wouldn't recommend it. We did a day tour over there to check out the river/etc. More time spent on gravel as that entire distance is gravel road, and it felt like the washboarding was worse on that side.

Last edited by woob; 08-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #102
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

"We dumped and filled at Calgary West Campground for $10. It was easy and fast"

I live in Bridlewood so I'm not going to backtrack to Calgary West Campground. might just fill it up at home first
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #103
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Are you heading home through Bragg Creek? It's been a while, but there is/was a dump station west of Bragg Creek just before Gooseberry campground.

Edit- just found this. Might be helpful.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...osal-stations/
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #104
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ken, thanks I' looked at that site and theat's why I asked is there was another option besides Barrier if I wanted to tow most of the way empty.

hearing the road is in worse shape that direction I'll fill up at home or use the water can and fill up using the water canister and a home hose filler that I made this year. takes about 5 jugs but it's doable.

as for dumping i'd have to go to Elbow station but it's quite large so not a problem.

thanks for the comments ken and Woob

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 08-28-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #105
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’re actually camping at mount Kidd this weekend so I’m thinking about just filling the fresh water there when I dump on Monday and paying for the sibbald site Monday-Thursday for Friday arrival. I figure the $80 I’d pay for the sites is cheaper or close to same amount as towing trailer home Monday sibbald Thursday and back Sunday

Next question, how risky is it to leave fridge on propane for 4 days unattended? I have 2 deep cycle 6 volt hooked up to a 40 watt solar panel so batteries would be fine. Would 1 20lbs tank last a week for just the fridge being run?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #106
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We’re actually camping at mount Kidd this weekend so I’m thinking about just filling the fresh water there when I dump on Monday and paying for the sibbald site Monday-Thursday for Friday arrival. I figure the $80 I’d pay for the sites is cheaper or close to same amount as towing trailer home Monday sibbald Thursday and back Sunday

Next question, how risky is it to leave fridge on propane for 4 days unattended? I have 2 deep cycle 6 volt hooked up to a 40 watt solar panel so batteries would be fine. Would 1 20lbs tank last a week for just the fridge being run?
In my experience, yes a 20Lb propane tank would be fine for just the fridge for a week

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #107
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Are you heading home through Bragg Creek? It's been a while, but there is/was a dump station west of Bragg Creek just before Gooseberry campground.

Edit- just found this. Might be helpful.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...osal-stations/
It's just after gooseberry now, the visitor centre one is usually closed

I don't believe the water pumps at sibbald are drinking safe.

We would just stop at Calaway to fill and dump for $10 on our way to sibbald. But that was before living in deep south.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #108
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:

Yes- it will be fine. I’m at a permanent site and my fridge has been running on propane since June. I have a slightly smaller fridge (you have to open the fridge to access the freezer) and I find we use a little less than a pound per day. We had a 30 pound tank that was left running for a full 30 days and it still had 5 pounds left. When I was looking at doing this- my internet research showed 1-1.5 pounds per day. Worst case yours uses 2 pounds per day- and you’d still be fine.

What I do to make sure there wasn’t a failure- I freeze a half full water bottle upright. Then lay it on its side before I leave. If your fridge fails and then refreezes- the water will also have switched position in the bottle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #109
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

So ended up filling the tanks at Mount Kidd Monday before we left, dropped the trailer at Sibbald and then took Powderface trail home (Live in Bridlewood). Powderface is a surprisingly decent road with the active logging on it. Wont take the trailer on there but it cut probably 15-20 mins off the drive and it was super muddy and fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #110
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Are you guys winterizing yet? I have a trip planned to the mountains in a couple of weeks and another trip planned over Thanksgiving. Should I stop using water at this point in the season, or do you figure it's safe if it only drops a few degrees below zero at night?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #111
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll probably need to keep an eye on the temps and see if there is a cold snap coming. I like to not take any chances and get mine done before October, but I know some people push it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #112
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the past we never made it out after the Labor Day weekend so I always winterized then just in case. Now there is the opportunity we might be able to sneak in a few more weekends so my new strategy is to blow out the lines with air in case we get a small freeze and then winterize for good towards the end of September. That should be okay unless we get a hard freeze which is unlikely.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #113
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I usually winterize towards Thanksgiving; depending on if I plan on using the trailer or not. An overnight low of -5 isn't enough to freeze your pipes, unless you have pipes that run outside your trailer. (or the daytime high is also below zero.)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #114
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to winterize this weekend and just roll without using water on my last two trips.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #115
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Bring a couple of jugs of windshield washer fluid with you to flush the toilet; especially if you are camping with your wife and/or daughter. (Or anybody else who is reluctant to pee in the woods.

The black tank is generally pretty flat so can withstand a certain amount of freezing if near empty. It's also a pretty much straight shot down so no worry about a trap holding any water.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #116
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Bring a couple of jugs of windshield washer fluid with you to flush the toilet; especially if you are camping with your wife and/or daughter. (Or anybody else who is reluctant to pee in the woods.

The black tank is generally pretty flat so can withstand a certain amount of freezing if near empty. It's also a pretty much straight shot down so no worry about a trap holding any water.
Oh man, that's an awesome idea. Will do. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #117
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man, that's an awesome idea. Will do. Thanks.
You should probably use proper RV antifreeze instead of windshield washer fluid. The latter isn't great for septic systems, the alcohol in the fluid can kill the bacteria in the septic field so you would likely be causing damage wherever you end up dumping your tanks.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #118
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

PSA went to winterize and my lines were almost frozen. Trailer is out by Airdrie, so if you’re around there you may want to check yours out.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #119
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Planning to get a cover for our travel trailer. Thoughts from seasoned campers?Thanks
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #120
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone know when they turn the water on at the Brag Creek Sani station? if the weather holds I'm going to take the trailer out for Easter this year