Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #701
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Toshiba SSDs are also potentially impacted.

Microsoft really needs to get their crap in order with patching. Since the Spectre/Meltdown crisis began in January, every month has been a disaster.

I really enjoyed their Server 2008 R2 patch that wiped all NIC settings, causing servers to go offline and all had to be reset manually through console connections. That was fun
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #702
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is .. interesting. I use local accounts for both my Windows laptop and desktop.

I turned my desktop windows task bar to hide when not being used. And you know what? My laptop started doing it too without me turning on that setting.

wtf?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #703
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I really enjoyed their Server 2008 R2 patch that wiped all NIC settings, causing servers to go offline and all had to be reset manually through console connections. That was fun
And then the next month when they baked it into their security rollup.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #704
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
So this is .. interesting. I use local accounts for both my Windows laptop and desktop.

I turned my desktop windows task bar to hide when not being used. And you know what? My laptop started doing it too without me turning on that setting.

wtf?
Do you use homegroup? That's the only thing I can think of. Or just maybe being on the same local network is enough.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #705
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

wtf?
Do you sign into any Windows apps? (OneDrive, mail, skype, etc)

You don't need to use a Microsoft account for settings to sync, you can have a local account that gets tied to a Microsoft one after the fact if you sign into any store apps
Old 05-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #706
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Do you sign into any Windows apps? (OneDrive, mail, skype, etc)

You don't need to use a Microsoft account for settings to sync, you can have a local account that gets tied to a Microsoft one after the fact if you sign into any store apps
I use one drive, and the ms store. holy crap thats annoying
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #707
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I use one drive, and the ms store. holy crap thats annoying

You can go into Settings > Accounts > Sync settings to turn all that stuff off
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #708
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So, if you use Avast as your anti-virus, don't update to Win 10 1803. It's currently breaking things to the point that a re-install of Windows is necessary. Looks like a new problem related to the latest update of Avast, released right before the weekend.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #709
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just a bit more about it

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...-black-screen/

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #710
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039573136168169475

EDIT:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/1...irefox-warning

Microsoft to ‘warn’ Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox

While the prompts can be turned off, they’re yet another example of Microsoft infesting Windows 10 with annoying ads and pop-ups.

It’s not clear why Microsoft thinks it’s a good idea to include these irritating prompts, as all they’re likely to do is anger Windows 10 users rather than convince them to switch to Edge.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-de...-edge-instead/

Microsoft has begun a new tactic to get people to use Edge: a warning dialog box that interrupts the installation of other web browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

It's not clear exactly what Microsoft's plans for its Edge promotion and warning to steer clear of other browsers.

Last edited by chemgear; 09-12-2018 at 11:33 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #711
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Windows 7 user here. I'm looking to see if I should finally make the switch. I dont pay much attention to Windows 10 other than big stories. Any feedback about the worst parts of Windows 10? Does it allow for a lot of user control over items such as firewall, ads in the menus, updates and other privacy concerns? Is there some killer apps that are in 10 that I'm missing out on?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #712
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Windows 10 is a bit easier on resources but unless you have a slow process you probably won't notice. I don't use any Windows apps at all. You cannot disable Windows update on Win10 only delay installation of updates, the firewall settings are the same as Win7. The start menu is kinda annoying and I don't use Cortana so it's a process wasting memory doing nothing, well except probably spying on you.

Classic Shell is useful for tweaking the start menu (although the program is no longer being updated last I checked) another good companion to Win10 is Winaero Tweaker. If I didn't game I doubt I would have bothered upgrading to 10.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #713
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Windows 10 is a bit easier on resources but unless you have a slow process you probably won't notice. I don't use any Windows apps at all. You cannot disable Windows update on Win10 only delay installation of updates, the firewall settings are the same as Win7. The start menu is kinda annoying and I don't use Cortana so it's a process wasting memory doing nothing, well except probably spying on you.

Classic Shell is useful for tweaking the start menu (although the program is no longer being updated last I checked) another good companion to Win10 is Winaero Tweaker. If I didn't game I doubt I would have bothered upgrading to 10.

The developer of Classic Shell made it open source before he stopped, and development is continuing under the name Open Shell

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

The last release from a week ago automatically imports all of your settings from Classic Shell, so it's really easy to switch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: