Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #261
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
It's interesting that you picked out myself out of the dozen other posters whose compassion only flows in one direction. Guess it's not the direction you care truly care about though is it?
I'm legitimately confused how to respond to this....

I think this was a senseless tragedy all around. The only real hope I have is that we can find a way to ensure that FN aren't disadvantaged anymore. But I have absolutely no idea how to start that process. There is plenty of fault on every side right now.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #262
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm legitimately confused how to respond to this....

I think this was a senseless tragedy all around. The only real hope I have is that we can find a way to ensure that FN aren't disadvantaged anymore. But I have absolutely no idea how to start that process. There is plenty of fault on every side right now.
Gee I dunno? Could you maybe also point some fingers at some of the people who have straight up said they have no compassion for Boushie or his family? Plenty of them to go around in this thread.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #263
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Gee I dunno? Could you maybe also point some fingers at some of the people who have straight up said they have no compassion for Boushie or his family? Plenty of them to go around in this thread.
Man, you sure are angry.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #264
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Heres a little history about the 4 people in the suv with Colton. For some reason the CBC left this out

https://amp.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...mpression=true
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meritmat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #265
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, you sure are angry.

I hope you feel better soon.
Shouldn't we all be at least a little angry about another dead young indigenous person in Canada?
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #266
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Shouldn't we all be at least a little angry about another dead young indigenous person in Canada?
Absolutely, but probably not at me.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #267
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely, but probably not at me.
Actually, as "Canehdianman", you might make a rather fitting symbolic target for that anger.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #268
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Heres a little history about the 4 people in the suv with Colton. For some reason the CBC left this out

https://amp.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...mpression=true
Well that sheds some light on where these young people got their pedigree.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #269
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

That reddit post is disturbing. There's a lot in there, and it hasn't been fact checked, but the author spent a good amount of time linking to news stories and claims to know some of those involved because he comments on how their looks have changed.

The video those girls posted of themselves -- 7 years ago and they might be 13 or 14 -- being stoned, in the background is a fridge with lots of family photos, is very sad.

Coulton's girlfriend was arrested to testify, because she wouldn't show up, but when she got to the court house, had nothing to say because she was passed out drunk the entire incident. A daughter of one of the Chiefs, nonetheless.

The passengers who did testify had lengthy criminal records if those records weren't sealed because of youth charges. The CBC tweeted about how long it took to go through one of their criminal records, it was that long.

Not relevant to the trial, but all of the past chiefs have criminal records, some very serious, and they are the fathers/uncles of most of the passengers.

Why the jury reached its decision is becoming more clear, but not because of the mainstream media.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #270
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This of course does not justify him being shot, but this is telling about the direction this person was heading in his life.

A tweet from Colten Boushie April 29th. Very sad.

NSFW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #271
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this, unfortunately, sums up the story fairly well:

Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #272
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
This of course does not justify him being shot, but this is telling about the direction this person was heading in his life.

A tweet from Colten Boushie April 29th. Very sad.

NSFW!
Dude. That’s a song lyric from Yelawolf not some original content or life philosophy.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #273
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Dude. That’s a song lyric from Yelawolf not some original content or life philosophy.
Be that as it may, it still shows the attitude that he had towards authority
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #274
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I stand corrected. TIL there is someone named Yelawolf.

In the 80's I decided to hide my Shout at the Devil cassette tape. And my parents asked a lot of questions about why I played Dungeons and Dragons.

Last edited by Kjesse; 02-12-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #275
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So your position is the Stanley murdered Boushie and you don't believe any of his version of events?
I don't know that it's a case of murder. But I think at a minimum Stanley was extremely reckless with a loaded firearm which led to Boushie's death. And I find the chain of events that his defense relies on to be so exceedingly unlikely that it makes me question everything he's saying about what transpired.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #276
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What gets me about this case is how my right wing friends think the kid deserved what he got while my left wing friends think Stanley should be hung for murder, somehow I have p****d off all of them as I have sympathy for both parties
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #277
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm reminded of the case where some young men trespassed on the Luge track at COP, and two boys died.

Did the fact that the boys were trespassing absolve COP of any blame?

Did these boys have more sympathy in the community because they were white boys from a private school? What if they had been from a minority group?
Haha what?

Those two things are not even remotley similiar. What ppint are you trying to make?
Your comparing kids that broke into a luge centre to sled vs drunk people with a loaded gun trying to steal ####.

I don't see how race in either cases should play a factor.

In both cases they were idiots.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #278
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who cares what Boushie had posted on his facebook? You think Stanley knew that when the incident happened? This was two strangers meeting for the first time and nothing in Boushies past is relevent to the reaction of Stanley.

You are basically slut shaming the victim.

All of that history points to a lot of issues that led up to this and things that need to be fixed but it doesn't justify how a farmer reacted on that day.

And we need to stop calling them armed thugs. No one in the Stanley family saw the broken gun until after Colton was dead. Stanley didn't claim self defense. However Boshie got shot the gun in the vehicle was not a factor.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #279
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting in that the federal government now seems poised to act quickly on some judicial reforms; however, I don't here much talk about water quality on reserves of health care - two items that likely affect far more indigenous people that judicial matters.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #280
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Who cares what Boushie had posted on his facebook? You think Stanley knew that when the incident happened? This was two strangers meeting for the first time and nothing in Boushies past is relevent to the reaction of Stanley.

You are basically slut shaming the victim.

All of that history points to a lot of issues that led up to this and things that need to be fixed but it doesn't justify how a farmer reacted on that day.

And we need to stop calling them armed thugs. No one in the Stanley family saw the broken gun until after Colton was dead. Stanley didn't claim self defense. However Boshie got shot the gun in the vehicle was not a factor.
It may be irrelevant from legal standpoint, but it may affect the overall picture and general sense of "fairness" or "injustice" of the verdict.

Last edited by Pointman; 02-13-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote