Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought my hardware with Shaw years ago, when I moved out of my house and satellite with Bell wasn't an option. I only have one TV in my apartment, and the hardware is capable of MPEG-4, so I'm OK with continuing to use it as long as I can.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
What cable packages get you CBC, TSN and Sportsnet? The basic one?
Probably, I have an old grandfathered plan, but I only have one HD add-on package (non-sports), and I have TSN, SN & CBC in HD. Their site can be a bit obtuse about what is included in what, I'd recommend emailing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
What cable packages get you CBC, TSN and Sportsnet? The basic one?
"Personal TV" (the most basic Shaw TV package) includes all three of those channels. I can't say for certain if it includes "Sportsnet Flames" games tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think mine has gone up $17 in the past year too. Brutal. I also get the "you're on a grandfathered plan for Broadband 50, so there's no way we can make your plan cheaper".

However, did anyone get a call from Shaw offering them a deal? We have been paying $122/month for Broadband 50, basic cable, and 1 theme pack, and I got a call a couple nights ago from Shaw offering me basically every HD channel they have and Broadband 100 for the same price for 6 months. If I don't like it, I can have them take it off at the end of 6 months. They said it would stay at $122/month at the end of the 6 months but if it doesn't, I'll just switch to Telus on a promo as we'd been considering that anyways.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using Telus since I moved out, about 4 and a half years ago now... wow.

Anyway, we've bought a new house, and so they offer you a year free Shaw- haven't looked at the details yet, but can you rent PVRs the same way Telus does?

We have 3 TV's and one wired computer that we will hope to set up in the new home, in case it matters how many TV boxes we will need 3.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

For 3 TVs it makes more sense to get a gateway.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been having problems with a choppy feed since I reactivated my TV programming with Shaw in the fall. I finally called them today to schedule a service appointment, as well as exploring if my internet hardware can be swapped out so I can upgrade to Broadband 250.

The good news? The service appointment is scheduled for a two hour window on Sunday.

The bad news? The tech support rep on the phone tried resetting my cable box remotely, and now instead of choppy TV I have no TV programming at until Sunday.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
The bad news? The tech support rep on the phone tried resetting my cable box remotely, and now instead of choppy TV I have no TV programming at until Sunday.
Make sure they credit you for the lost days.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't even try to start that conversation with them. Would I get any credit, or just a run around and credit of free channels I'll be charged for in three months unless I call to cancel them?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing to try, long shot though...

Replace any splitters you have. I called into shaw to have them put my router into bridge mode and as soon as the CS rep sent the signal, phone, Internet and cable stopped working.

Replaced the splitter and all was good. Don't know why or how but maybe...
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It might be an issue with the splitter. Shaw installed the one in use currently, as I have both my HT and computer in the main living area in my apartment. Internet is still fine, though. Who knows -- I'll let the tech guy sort it out on Sunday.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I wouldn't even try to start that conversation with them. Would I get any credit, or just a run around and credit of free channels I'll be charged for in three months unless I call to cancel them?
When I moved into my place a couple of years ago, my internet wasn't working properly due to a faulty modem they installed. It would work great for 15-20 min after the modem was reset and then it would start bouncing on and off.

After 2 weeks and 3 tech visits they finally fixed it by swapping my modem and they credited back that 2 weeks of internet service.

There is no reason why you can't get at least the time between them troubleshooting and knocking out your TV up until the Sunday credited back. Might be a little hard to go farther than that.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having issues with Shaw internet not being able to connect to any https sites?

It's been like this for 2+ hours, they are aware of the issue.
So annoying.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #34
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

No issues here. Yesterday ping levels even on their own speedtests were extremely high, but it has calmed down today.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't even start Google chat or any connection needing https.

I'm in the deep SW.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #36
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've noticed the wifi not working on my shaw modem for the last few days. I'm in the sw too but don't know if that would be related.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #37
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
I've noticed the wifi not working on my shaw modem for the last few days. I'm in the sw too but don't know if that would be related.
Is your wired connection working? If so then I doubt it. Call in and they should replace that modern for you
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #38
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i just got another increase from shaw. unbelievable.

the big deal is to burden existing customers with charges until they get close enough from their "grandfathered" rates to the rates to sign up new. i use quotation marks because aren't "grandfathered" rates supposed to stay the same? instead, we get 3 price increases in the last year and now we save $5 dollars a month than if i picked up the phone and called then as a new customer.

i like shaw, but if i was a single guy there is no way that i would pay them for what we get.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.

Last edited by McG; 02-10-2014 at 10:56 PM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #39
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To get a better deal you need to call in and say you're canceling. Doesn't matter if you just signed a sixteen year contract just make some bs excuse. Say telus is offering a much cheaper deal for same price and they'll usually lower your plan substantially. This isn't just for shaw. Pretty much any big provider
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #40
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And you need to be transfered to the loyalty team or retentions. They're the real people with power not the CSR you talk to