Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #121
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm out of words with that country.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #122
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Trump live right now, saying yet again that more guns is the answer and that if there had been an armed guard in the building, this wouldn't have happened.

Clearly an armed guard would have succeeded where the FOUR police officers that were wounded failed!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #123
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If guns made things safer, Normandy and Stalingrad should've been the safest places on Earth.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #124
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 people confirmed dead now.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/pi...ter/index.html
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #125
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

*yawn*..just another day that ends with Y. Nothing to see here, move along.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #126
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blood is on the hands of the president here.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #127
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Blood is on the hands of the president here.
I really don't get this. The shooter felt Trump was controlled by Jews, and this was one is his main motivations for this incident.

This incident was caused by people tolerated anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, which have become far too common within many types of political movements. Having a pro migrant president only would have further inspired the shooter.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #128
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a country
Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #129
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's fueling the hatred and division in the US, and the ones that are getting angrier and more self righteous are these extremists who decide to go after minority groups. Obviously it isn't as simple as that, but Trump is emboldening these racists and bigots. Attacking a synogogue?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #130
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
He's fueling the hatred and division in the US, and the ones that are getting angrier and more self righteous are these extremists who decide to go after minority groups. Obviously it isn't as simple as that, but Trump is emboldening these racists and bigots. Attacking a synogogue?
Trump also preaches a pro-evangelical politics that, although for many of the wrong reasons, is very pro-Jewish.

The shooters main two motivations were:

1. Jews controlling Trump; and
2. Jews wanting immigrants to flood the country.

There's an undercurrent of antisemitism in both left and right politics, which has emboldened people like Bowers.

Edit: to add to this post, unfortunately these kinds of attacks targeting Jewish people are not new, localized to the USA, or confined to any single political movement.

Last edited by blankall; 10-27-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #131
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm trying to work out what's the most shocking part of the story, that no one was killed or that Trenton New Jersey has an arts fair.
I ran across this old quote while reading this thread.

Anyway, I don’t know how things are in Canada when it comes to stuff like this. Down here, every scumbag city in the country wants to redeem itself by being a “ center for the arts”, my own present city of residence included.

I could write so much about that, but I’ll have to give it more thought. My city is not technically a “ sanctuary city”, but it might as well be. Being welcoming to the frightened, persecuted and desperate immigrants is great until you see your property values and everything you’ve worked for go down the drain. It’s a terrible conundrum. I’m not going to become a Republican over it , but there’s something really wrong, especially when you have members of MS-13 running around in your town. They don’t give a crap about anything, and they recruit from desperate young immigrants, which is an unpleasant fact. I was warned about this before I decide to buy a house here, but I didn’t want to believe it.

Just FYI- I make references to Delray Beach, FL in some of my posts . I still work there, but no longer live there, unfortunately. My former property would’ve been worth about a mill there. Where I live now? I won’t even go there . It’s really depressing. Maybe google Joanne Golden, “ get used to living in a ghetto”.

Last edited by missdpuck; 10-27-2018 at 10:10 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #132
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Edit: to add to this post, unfortunately these kinds of attacks targeting Jewish people are not new
Actually media is saying it was the largest attack on Jews in the USA in history, personally I just don't get the hate for Jews, can someone explain why someone from the west could possibly have a problem with Jews?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #133
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the Pittsburgh shooter used an AR-15. Gee, what a surprise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/27/u...-shooting.html
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #134
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Actually media is saying it was the largest attack on Jews in the USA in history, personally I just don't get the hate for Jews, can someone explain why someone from the west could possibly have a problem with Jews?
This largely stems from conspiracy theorists. They claim that Jews have a secret cabal to control society. They claim that Jews control banks and Hollywood. Their evidence is that there are a lot of Jews that work in finance and entertainment. These people tend to be extreme right-wing morons.

There are also some factions that are upset that the US government so vociferously supports Israel, both financially, militarily and politically. They seem to feel that the Israeli government has undue sway over the US government. These people tend to be extreme left-wing morons.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #135
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This shooter blamed the Jews for funding the Caravan, so yet again there is a direct link to Trump and the right wing ramping up anger and fear over immigrants and other groups.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #136
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
This largely stems from conspiracy theorists. They claim that Jews have a secret cabal to control society. They claim that Jews control banks and Hollywood. Their evidence is that there are a lot of Jews that work in finance and entertainment. These people tend to be extreme right-wing morons.

There are also some factions that are upset that the US government so vociferously supports Israel, both financially, militarily and politically. They seem to feel that the Israeli government has undue sway over the US government. These people tend to be extreme left-wing morons.
Anti Semitism goes back to the founding days of Christianity, it is literally a family feud, I suppose because when Christianity was an insignificant Jewish sect it was opposed by the orthodox Jewish church, once it got the upper hand it was bitter and possibly concerned it would be associated with the much weaker Jewish faith, like a kid that hates their father.

The result of this was to set up the Jews for a millenia of exile through out Europe under pretty much universal conditions where they were forbidden to own property and thus couldn't persue regular trades or occupations, this coupled with the ban on Christians lending money (the sin of usury) left Jews with the role of money lender, they had little choice in truth.

Of course no one likes their bank and so the Jews were resented but neccersary, but it was too easy to just whip up public sentiment against the 'Christ killers' and drive them out of a country in order to clear debts.

2000 years later Jews are still basically resented for the same reason even though they no longer fulfill the same role in society, but it is this money lending history from medieval times that still feeds the Jewish conspiracy, elders of zion crap that the dim and unsuccessful feed on today.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #137
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Anti Semitism goes back to the founding days of Christianity, it is literally a family feud, I suppose because when Christianity was an insignificant Jewish sect it was opposed by the orthodox Jewish church, once it got the upper hand it was bitter and possibly concerned it would be associated with the much weaker Jewish faith, like a kid that hates their father.

The result of this was to set up the Jews for a millenia of exile through out Europe under pretty much universal conditions where they were forbidden to own property and thus couldn't persue regular trades or occupations, this coupled with the ban on Christians lending money (the sin of usury) left Jews with the role of money lender, they had little choice in truth.

Of course no one likes their bank and so the Jews were resented but neccersary, but it was too easy to just whip up public sentiment against the 'Christ killers' and drive them out of a country in order to clear debts.

2000 years later Jews are still basically resented for the same reason even though they no longer fulfill the same role in society, but it is this money lending history from medieval times that still feeds the Jewish conspiracy, elders of zion crap that the dim and unsuccessful feed on today.
I think it's simpler than that.

People just don't tolerate minorities. All major groups in Europe who refused to conform have been heavily persecuted. Jews were persecuted for the simple fact they refused to stop being Jews and convert to Christianity.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #138
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Might be the largest death toll by a few people, but similar attacks have consistently happened:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate..._United_States
Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #139
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read today that 5 of the victims were Holocaust survivors.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #140
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I read today that 5 of the victims were Holocaust survivors.
I don't think so, but the age group was about right. There was a holocaust survivor that was on her way in, but got stopped by the cops during the shooting.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...gogue-shooting
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post: