Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #221
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Not sure why that would even surprise anyone tbh. Increased density of drug users = more drug related crimes in the area and more nimby-types calling the police to report “suspicious characters” and “unwanted guests.”
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #222
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not sure why that would even surprise anyone tbh. Increased density of drug users = more drug related crimes in the area and more nimby-types calling the police to report “suspicious characters” and “unwanted guests.”
You put those in quotes as if drug addicts aren't those things. They are. If they weren't we probably wouldn't have a problem with drug addicts.

Drug addicts lie, cheat and steal and live high risk lifestyles that can include violent crimes.

We can debate about how we, as a society, want to deal with these folks but to pretend they aren't unsavory characters is disingenuous.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #223
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

so selfish of the NIMBY crowd to not want infected needles, increased violence, crime, drugs, drug use, drug dealers, and vagrancy, in their back yards(literally sometimes).
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #224
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
So, St. Catharines in Ontario has about 130,000+ residents.

They have a needle exchange program and have about 4000 people using it. I don't know know the stats for whether that's per week or month or what, but they claim to receive 80 percent of the needles back.

On 4000 clients, that's still 800 needles per cycle that are not being returned. There's a resident who's been cleaning up the downtown of needles and it's stated that he picked up 800 in one week.

Completely insane.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...opioid-crisis/
pay 10 cents a needle, like a pop can, problem solved for a few thousand bucks at most
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #225
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
You put those in quotes as if drug addicts aren't those things. They are. If they weren't we probably wouldn't have a problem with drug addicts.

Drug addicts lie, cheat and steal and live high risk lifestyles that can include violent crimes.

We can debate about how we, as a society, want to deal with these folks but to pretend they aren't unsavory characters is disingenuous.
...uh, I put those in quotes because I was attempting to quote the wording of the actual article:

Quote:
Unwanted guests, suspicious persons and checks on welfare were the most frequent types of calls.
I think my brain just thought characters sounded better than persons. But sure, disingenuous whatever whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #226
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Not necessarily true. You are assuming everyone spirals into that sort of life if they are addicted to drugs. Drug addicts exist from all walks of life, right from pre-pubescent teenagers in school, to white collar executives running big companies, to unassuming geriatric retirees trying to manage the pain in their knees. Many of them don't even know it yet, but you wouldn't be able to tell on the surface just by looking at them. They can be very normal people.

Not all drug addicts are criminals. You are making a large generalization about them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #227
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not all drug addicts are criminals, but to act like they are not more predisposed to criminal activity is a weird position to take.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #228
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Not all drug addicts are criminals, but to act like they are not more predisposed to criminal activity is a weird position to take.
Yeah I know when my grandma got addicted to opioids she started hitting banks like crazy.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #229
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok
Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #230
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

okay
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #231
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
To say every drug addict is a criminal is weird position to take.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #232
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

No person would reasonably take corporatejay's statement to mean "all X do X". It's a generalization, and a correct one.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #233
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
No person would reasonably take corporatejay's statement to mean "all X do X". It's a generalization, and a correct one.
No reasonable person would take Ozy’s statement “not all drug addicts are criminals” as “drug addicts are not predisposed to crime” and yet, here we are.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #234
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
No reasonable person would take Ozy’s statement “not all drug addicts are criminals” as “drug addicts are not predisposed to crime” and yet, here we are.
You guys aren't looking to have an actual discussion here. You are trying to make other posters look bad or ignorant.

I wouldn't have to interpret Ozy's statement as I did if he didn't incorrectly interpret a one line statement that corporatejay was making.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #235
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
You guys aren't looking to have an actual discussion here. You are trying to make other posters look bad or ignorant.

I wouldn't have to interpret Ozy's statement as I did if he didn't incorrectly interpret a one line statement that corporatejay was making.
"Drug addicts lie, cheat and steal and live high risk lifestyles that can include violent crimes. We can debate about how we, as a society, want to deal with these folks but to pretend they aren't unsavory characters is disingenuous."

Seems to me like that statement was pretty generalized. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #236
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not necessarily true. You are assuming everyone spirals into that sort of life if they are addicted to drugs. Drug addicts exist from all walks of life, right from pre-pubescent teenagers in school, to white collar executives running big companies, to unassuming geriatric retirees trying to manage the pain in their knees. Many of them don't even know it yet, but you wouldn't be able to tell on the surface just by looking at them. They can be very normal people.

Not all drug addicts are criminals. You are making a large generalization about them.
Fair. I was picturing folks who would use this facility. I did over generalize.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #237
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Weird position to take. He probably wouldn’t have had to interpret corporatejay’s statement if corporatejay hadn’t incorrectly interpreted my use of quotations.

Again, but here we are. Any looking bad is entirely on yourself, I don’t really care how you look.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #238
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Fair. I was picturing folks who would use this facility. I did over generalize.
I appreciate you making the clarification, corporatejay. A classy response!

I have worked with a couple people in my life in a corporate setting with drug issues and if I didn't know them as friends on a personal level (after a few years working together) I would never have known it was an issue.

Yes, I do agree there is a high link between drug addiction and increased propensity to commit crimes (violent or otherwise).
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #239
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
pay 10 cents a needle, like a pop can, problem solved for a few thousand bucks at most
The injection site gives out needles for free as many as people want as part of their mandate for harm reduction.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #240
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which sort of people are attracted to a safe injection site? I’m going to guess it’s not your white collar type.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote