Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #2021
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

MemEx isn't bad for that though, the only part that doesn't have a specific model listed is the power supply.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #2022
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say I wanted to get a 3080Ti Founders Edition.

What's the best way to go about this? Does Memex or Newegg have a lottery or something?

I vow not to use scalpers.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #2023
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Let's say I wanted to get a 3080Ti Founders Edition.

What's the best way to go about this? Does Memex or Newegg have a lottery or something?

I vow not to use scalpers.

The only place that sells FE cards in Canada is Best Buy so Memex and Newegg are out. I think they just do first come first served though
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #2024
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #2025
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's interesting about forcing you to buy other hardware. I mean yes I want to build a new rig anyway, so maybe they allow you to change out some of the hardware in the package?

I don't NEED the FE, but I really like the look of them.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #2026
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone with some home server / storage setup for a noob? Our old all-in-one PC is past it’s prime so it’s down in the basement now acting as a server we access with our laptop, but I’m sure I can do a little better. I’d also like to rip all our old CDs, DVD, and Blurays, and make them accessible from different devices. I currently have some of our media on an old WDTV Live, but I’m sure I can also consolidate that with a server?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #2027
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Anyone with some home server / storage setup for a noob? Our old all-in-one PC is past it’s prime so it’s down in the basement now acting as a server we access with our laptop, but I’m sure I can do a little better. I’d also like to rip all our old CDs, DVD, and Blurays, and make them accessible from different devices. I currently have some of our media on an old WDTV Live, but I’m sure I can also consolidate that with a server?
Look into a dedicated NAS or install Unraid or FreeNAS and then Plex. That's the best way to consolidate all for media in one place.

Then get yourself a bunch of Google TVs or other streaming sticks.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #2028
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default PC Hardware Talk Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Look into a dedicated NAS or install Unraid or FreeNAS and then Plex. That's the best way to consolidate all for media in one place.

Then get yourself a bunch of Google TVs or other streaming sticks.

Thanks, thinking dedicated NAS is the route I want to go. A lot of options out there. Looks like most don’t come with the drives so you determine the capacity, up to the device max (WD My Cloud, Synology, TerraMaster, etc). Buffalo seems to come with drives but not huge capacity.

Any experience with any of these? All seem to have similar features.

Any advantages to going with Unraid? edit - doing some reading.... seems like a more flexible system when it comes to storage size and recovery, but you essentially build a PC with the attached drives and run using the Unraid Operating System (probably over simplified it).

Last edited by Brendone; 06-06-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #2029
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, thinking dedicated NAS is the route I want to go. A lot of options out there. Looks like most don’t come with the drives so you determine the capacity, up to the device max (WD My Cloud, Synology, TerraMaster, etc). Buffalo seems to come with drives but not huge capacity.

Any advantages to going with Unraid? edit - doing some reading.... seems like a more flexible system when it comes to storage size and recovery, but you essentially build a PC with the attached drives and run using the Unraid Operating System (probably over simplified it).
If you want "storage for a noob" unraid is not the way to go. It's very powerful and if you want to spend the time to learn it then it might fit the bill, but a NAS will be the most "set it and forget it" network storage option out there. Personally I'm going to grab a Synology DS420+ whenever I can actually buy hard drives for the damn thing
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #2030
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Depends on how much you want to learn and manage yourself. I have used Synology, QNAP, WD, and Unraid before. Stick with the most popular ones so you have the most community support and software plug-ins you can take advantage of.

Synology and QNAP give you the easiest system to set up and use, but limits your flexibility cuz you will be stuck with their hardware and specs.

Unraid, which is what I am using now, will run on any computer hardware so you set up, spec out with enough power for your server as you like, but will be a bit more complicated to set up. You won't have to do anything in command line or the like except for more complicated use cases, but you may have to watch some YouTube videos or read some wikis to get things set up right for a Plex server.

Another thing to consider is how much you want to spend, what format you will be storing your media in mostly, and what devices you will be playing your videos on. That will factor into which you choose cuz you may need powerful enough hardware to transcode between different video codecs

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-06-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #2031
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Another thing to consider is how much you want to spend, what format you will be storing your media in mostly, and what devices you will be playing your videos on. That will factor into which you choose cuz you may need powerful enough hardware to transcode between different video codecs
One of the advantages we have with our old school AV distribution system (four sources) is the WDTV “server” does all the heavy lifting, it’s just limited capacity, and I had downsized our media to fit more. I’d like to re-rip everything to higher quality on and put it on a NAS then move files on and off the WDTV as needed to watch on all the TVs. I’ve been using Archos to stream from the WDTV to my tablet.

I have to do the same with all my CDs. Long ago I had ripped them at high quality but downsized them when space became an issue. Now I want to rerip them at full quality and place all our music libraries in one location.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #2032
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of the advantages we have with our old school AV distribution system (four sources) is the WDTV “server” does all the heavy lifting, it’s just limited capacity, and I had downsized our media to fit more. I’d like to re-rip everything to higher quality on and put it on a NAS then move files on and off the WDTV as needed to watch on all the TVs. I’ve been using Archos to stream from the WDTV to my tablet.

I have to do the same with all my CDs. Long ago I had ripped them at high quality but downsized them when space became an issue. Now I want to rerip them at full quality and place all our music libraries in one location.
With a NAS, why move the media on and off to the player. Keep the media on the NAS and just get capable players that'll play off the NAS directly. Most modern players should be able to handle that. Roku, Amazon Fire Sticks, and Chromecast/Google TVs will be fine for that.

Of course though you'll have to have ethernet or pretty good wireless depending on if you plan to stream 4K content or not.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #2033
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Freenas for my home storage and run Plex on it. I find it to be confusing to setup but haven't had issues once it was up and running. Also be sure to change the settings on the SSH as soon as its running, I had people trying to log into it the same day I brought it online I assume trying the default root password.

If I took a little more time to understand it I think its probably one of the best NAS solutions
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #2034
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I use Freenas for my home storage and run Plex on it. I find it to be confusing to setup but haven't had issues once it was up and running. Also be sure to change the settings on the SSH as soon as its running, I had people trying to log into it the same day I brought it online I assume trying the default root password.

If I took a little more time to understand it I think its probably one of the best NAS solutions
Did you not have a firewall setup? How were people reaching it from the internet?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #2035
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Did you not have a firewall setup? How were people reaching it from the internet?
Probably set up some kind of port forwarding rule for remote management. I'd never open those up for security purposes on the default port or I'd only allow it from a specific whitelist set of devices.

Probably should geoblock any traffic from countries you don't expect, and set up URI white/blacklists, etc. 90% of malicious traffic coming to my server comes from Russia, Lithuania, and China
Old 06-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #2036
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I can't remember the details it was about a year ago, this was right after setup so I assume that port was open from remote GUI or something. I do have it exposed externally for Plex as its shared to some users externally. I'm not skilled enough in network security and its a field I'm currently trying to gain knowledge in.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #2037
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Yeah I can't remember the details it was about a year ago, this was right after setup so I assume that port was open from remote GUI or something. I do have it exposed externally for Plex as its shared to some users externally. I'm not skilled enough in network security and its a field I'm currently trying to gain knowledge in.
Probably a good ideal to set up Cloudflare for the firewall and DDOS security functionality (free). Cloudflare will handle a lot of the security for you, and they are pretty easy to manage there. You can set up geoblock, URI whitelist/blacklists, UserAgent filters and the like. If you are using dockers/jails for your Plex/Sonarr/Radarr, it's a good idea to set your fail2ban/nginx configuration to block out repeated failed login requests, known SQL/PHP injection attacks, close all your ports and try to have a single nginx instance and different URI paths instead for externally accessible stuff, disable old SSL versions, use strict transport security, create a content security policy, etc. Had to secure my Plex/Ombi/Radarr/Sonarr cuz of a lot of Russian brute force attempts.

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-08-2021 at 07:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #2038
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan on setting up a homelab, but ready all your guys' technical mumbo jumbo is discouraging me. I've decided to build a new house so I have ethernet running to every damn corner of my house and they all terminate in the mech room.

I don't even know what I don't know, but I guess that is part of the journey.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #2039
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I plan on setting up a homelab, but ready all your guys' technical mumbo jumbo is discouraging me. I've decided to build a new house so I have ethernet running to every damn corner of my house and they all terminate in the mech room.

I don't even know what I don't know, but I guess that is part of the journey.
Is the house already built or is it still under construction? If there's still time I would suggest adding additional ethernet ports to places where you might want to install security cameras. You could then connect them to a PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch to have power and network over a single cable. That's one thing I really wish my house had, I'm stuck using wifi only cameras as there's no way to get ethernet to where I have them placed
Old 06-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #2040
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Is the house already built or is it still under construction? If there's still time I would suggest adding additional ethernet ports to places where you might want to install security cameras. You could then connect them to a PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch to have power and network over a single cable. That's one thing I really wish my house had, I'm stuck using wifi only cameras as there's no way to get ethernet to where I have them placed
Yup, already did that

I spent 24 months thinking of those things before I pulled the trigger on building.

I'm scared but excited to build a homelab and exploring NAS options, switches, racks, etc.