Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #41
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Slapshot

Here's the summary of the Tocchet gambling scandal for those who don't remember. It happened over 15 years ago and it doesn't appear that anyone served prison time for their involvement.

He has spent more time behind an NHL bench since his conviction than he did before (and won two Stanley Cups), so I'd say no one in the NHL is too concerned about it at this point.

Also, with sports gambling being legal in the States now, I don't know if what he did would even be illegal now.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #42
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Running an illegal bookmaking operation should probably disqualify you from being a pro sports franchise head coach yes.
Because it's illegal, or because it's gambling? If the latter, then your position is what I said it was. If the former, then nobody with any kind of criminal record should ever be employed as a coach. Craig MacTavish, to name one, would be rather startled to hear that – and glad nobody applied this rule earlier.

Quote:
Kind of like how being guilty of embezzlement means you can never be a practicing CPA.
CPAs have a professional association and an explicit code of conduct. The penalty for violating their fiduciary duty to keep honest books is quite clear. Do NHL coaches have such a code, and can you quote it? In particular, does it say anything about working as a bookmaker when not employed as a coach?

Quote:
I explicitly said there were lots of hockey related jobs out there he could have.
You said he shouldn't work in the NHL in any significant capacity.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #43
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Because it's illegal, or because it's gambling? If the latter, then your position is what I said it was. If the former, then nobody with any kind of criminal record should ever be employed as a coach. Craig MacTavish, to name one, would be rather startled to hear that – and glad nobody applied this rule earlier.

CPAs have a professional association and an explicit code of conduct. The penalty for violating their fiduciary duty to keep honest books is quite clear. Do NHL coaches have such a code, and can you quote it? In particular, does it say anything about working as a bookmaker when not employed as a coach?

You said he shouldn't work in the NHL in any significant capacity.
Does the NHL not have policies prohibiting its players from being involved in gambling on the sport? Other sports do.

I see an obvious conflict of interest with a head coach taking bets on games they are coaching. Even the slightest whiff of that is a massive problem to the integrity of sports. I’m surprised anyone would question that.

Why do you think CPA’s have that code of conduct? Maybe to promote public trust in their profession? Don’t you think pro sports want to preserve the integrity of their product?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #44
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I still believe it's a roster issue but is it possible that coaching was in such a disarray as well?

I can kind of see how maybe Darryl thought that the structure wasn't right with the coaches that were here when he was hired. He is the HC so he would be delegating duties to his assistants and maybe they were just not up to the task.

Would be no different than hiring professionals in your organization and they underperformed.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #45
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Does the NHL not have policies prohibiting its players from being involved in gambling on the sport? Other sports do.

I see an obvious conflict of interest with a head coach taking bets on games they are coaching. Even the slightest whiff of that is a massive problem to the integrity of sports. I’m surprised anyone would question that.

Why do you think CPA’s have that code of conduct? Maybe to promote public trust in their profession? Don’t you think pro sports want to preserve the integrity of their product?
They were not betting on hockey. It was primarily pro and college football and basketball.

Here's the archived story from when it first broke 15 years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20060215.../story/5313610

Looking back, it seems like it probably wasn't more than a few friends placing bets on football and basketball games, but because they were professional athletes, their bets were bigger than what a normal working person is betting when they make similar bets with their friends.

The story says there was evidence of over 1000 wagers worth more than $1.7 million. That's an average of less than $2000 per bet. For someone making over $1 million per year, that's like someone who makes $50,000 a year placing a $100 bet.

Also, interesting to see that current Canucks' coach, Travis Green, was also implicated as one of the participants in the gambling ring when he was still playing.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They were not betting on hockey. It was primarily pro and college football and basketball.

Here's the archived story from when it first broke 15 years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20060215.../story/5313610

Looking back, it seems like it probably wasn't more than a few friends placing bets on football and basketball games, but because they were professional athletes, their bets were bigger than what a normal working person is betting when they make similar bets with their friends.

The story says there was evidence of over 1000 wagers worth more than $1.7 million. That's an average of less than $2000 per bet. For someone making over $1 million per year, that's like someone who makes $50,000 a year placing a $100 bet.

Also, interesting to see that current Canucks' coach, Travis Green, was also implicated as one of the participants in the gambling ring when he was still playing.
There is very little evidence in that story to confirm there was no betting on hockey. Maybe there wasn’t but I would not come to that conclusion definitively from what I have seen reported.

I would be curious if any other major pro sport in North America would employ a head coach who ran an illegal gambling operation like this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:00 PM   #47
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How about we hire a coach that doesn't have a criminal record? Is that too much to ask?
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:04 AM   #48
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've had garbage coaching for so long now that it's hard to imagine having an entire bench of over-qualified people.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:30 AM   #49
Britflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Great just need to get some decent players for them to coach!
Britflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:54 AM   #50
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So we're assembling the bench version of the roster we should've had by now eh..

Bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:59 AM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #52
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Slapshot

Here's the summary of the Tocchet gambling scandal for those who don't remember. It happened over 15 years ago and it doesn't appear that anyone served prison time for their involvement.

He has spent more time behind an NHL bench since his conviction than he did before (and won two Stanley Cups), so I'd say no one in the NHL is too concerned about it at this point.

Also, with sports gambling being legal in the States now, I don't know if what he did would even be illegal now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the article
Harney said that he and Tocchet were 50–50 partners in the betting ring.[4] Harney was sentenced to six years in prison
Seems harsh considering no one else got time. Corrupt cop though.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
How about we hire a coach that doesn't have a criminal record? Is that too much to ask?
Since he hasn't been hired by the Flames it's a question that doesn't really need asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I still believe it's a roster issue but is it possible that coaching was in such a disarray as well?
Possible? It's pretty clear coaching has been an issue since Treliving took over given the Flames are on head coach #5 since he took over. Hartley was able to assemble his own staff under the previous GM but every coach since has inherited hand picked assistants from within the organization. It appears Darryl has accessed the assistants and recommended changes as it's clear the Flames issues are more than just roster related. One has to imagine he's also made some roster change recommendations to the GM as well which should make for an interesting offseason.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #54
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Who cares about gambling law anyway? Shouldn't even be illegal
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Who cares about gambling law anyway? Shouldn't even be illegal
Just removing the negative consequences from gambling addiction from the discussion, yes, it should be illegal, or at least heavily regulated. If you are someone in a position of authority and have potential to greatly influence the outcome of an event, you should not be allowed to bet on that event. It's why there is insider trading rules and such in the markets. If you have the ability to change the dynamics of an event that could clearly alter the outcome, and you are allowed to bet on those events, the contest is then fixed. It is not a fair competition and bet is not a fair bet.

The only reason sports betting is becoming legal is because of the tax dollars associated with it. There is too big a pot of money there because there are so many suckers out there who can't control themselves, and the government wants a chunk of the dough these fools are losing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #56
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heavily regulated, absolutely. Just like alcohol, tobacco, Marijuana, etc. But not illegal. Just gives power to criminals
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #57
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally, the RW this team has needed since Iggy left!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:13 AM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thought it was interesting that Friedman was on the Fan this morning and Tocchet was brought up as having a 3rd interview in Seattle but zero mention of this Flames rumor. That tells me all I need to know.

Nothing to see here.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #59
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 6 seasons as head coach, Tocchet is 178-200-60 and has missed the playoffs in 5 out of 6 seasons. The one time he made the playoffs was because of the play-in round last year.

My point is, I don't really care whether they hire him or not.
And I'm kind of surprised that Seattle is so interested.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #60
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Thought it was interesting that Friedman was on the Fan this morning and Tocchet was brought up as having a 3rd interview in Seattle but zero mention of this Flames rumor. That tells me all I need to know.

Nothing to see here.
but there are 57 posts to see ....