Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default The night 34 years ago the NHL changed for good

Just an excellent reminiscing by Kevin Kurz of the Athletic.

Game 6 Wales CF, Flyers/Canadiens

All hell breaks loose before the game...no officials on the ice to stop it. Claude Lemieux right in the middle of it all of course. Ed Hospodar was suspended for the entirety of the rest of the playoffs.

Dave Brown and Chris Nilan scrapped for what felt like 15 minutes.

Pure and utter chaos.

Quote:
A glance at the box score of Game 6 of the Wales Conference finals on May 14, 1987, when Philadelphia advanced to the Stanley Cup Final with a 4-3 win over Montreal, doesn’t reveal anything extraordinary. Rick Tocchet’s third-period goal broke a 3-3 tie, and eventual Conn Smythe-winning goalie Ron Hextall made 29 saves to help the Flyers advance.

What happened before the game, though, has resonated for more than three decades.

“The National Hockey League sank to a new low last night, and that’s an (extreme) low indeed,” wrote Philadelphia Inquirer sports editor Frank Dolson. “Those were major hockey league players out there making a mockery of their sport.”

Don Cherry, the acerbic Canadian broadcaster, said at the time: “I don’t mind the odd brawl, but I didn’t like that.”

Claude Lemieux, Canadiens forward: Shayne Corson and I liked to stay on the ice late and have a long warmup, and I was always the last guy to get off. It was kind of a superstition thing — flip a puck in the empty net. And that was our routine.

Mark Howe, Flyers defenseman: The whole thing started because of superstition.

Lemieux: This thing had picked up and became I guess somewhat important where (Canadiens captain) Bob Gainey had said to me and Corson, “You guys, don’t mess around out there. Just come off the ice and once they leave, you can go about your superstition.” Something like that. And so we decided we were going to hide behind the curtain, which is what we did. We saw them leave and we asked the security guard, “Are they gone?” And he’s like, “Yeah.”

Dave Poulin, Flyers captain: They were hiding like little kids behind their curtain, so our guys hid like little kids behind our curtain, and they went out to meet them.

Lemieux: (Hospodar) was a tough guy, but I flipped him over and I’m on top of him like, “What are you doing?” And then Chico was like, “What’s going on? What are you guys doing?” And I’m like, “What are you guys doing?” Then it was too late, and I saw, oh my gosh, all the players are coming on the ice, and it was over.

Nilan: (Flyers defenseman Kjell) Samuelsson is kind of looking at me. I know he’s a big guy, it’s not like I was scared of Kjell Samuelsson because he was big. That didn’t bother me at all. Am I going to waste my time fighting this guy, who doesn’t fight? I knew this wasn’t it. Sure enough, both dressing rooms started trickling out, and then I saw big Brownie obviously come out with no jersey on. And, OK, here we go.

Morganti: Dave Brown was the king. He was the best fighter I ever saw.

Brown: I always took my jersey off to cool off after warmups or in between periods. I had it off, and I thought, why should I put it back on if we’re going back out there to fight? I just put my elbow pads on, if I fall down. We went to look for whoever we had to match up with, and I knew Nilan was my guy, because he was their tough guy, so I went and looked for him.

Nilan: We went at it. Then we grabbed, and then we’d go again. At one time we’re swinging away, and I went to my knees and got back up, and then we both rested again. He was leaning on my shoulder, he had his head in behind my head, by my ear. And he goes, “Have you had enough?” And I said “Nope,” and I just ####ing hauled off and threw another shot, and off we went again.

Brown: I think that started leading to where we are now. It was another factor that (reduced) fighting. Before that, we used to brawl probably three or four times a year. I think they knew at some point that they were going to have to stop the brawls if they were going to be able to show this on national TV. They didn’t want to have that kind of reputation, because they didn’t think they could grow the game, probably — and they’re probably right.

https://theathletic.com/2618125/2021...rce=dailyemail
Old 06-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I witnessed several bench-clearing brawls between the Flames and Oilers in that era, up close from the stands. No doubt getting that stuff out of the game was necessary to grow TV audiences. However, as a live spectacle it was pretty amazing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

How in the hell have I never heard of this?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dad took me to a Calgary Centennials game in the 70s - I think the opposition was Victoria Cougars. They had a huge brawl in the warm-ups and the game was cancelled.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I laughed at this.
Quote:
Poulin: In the little washroom in Montreal in the old Forum, (Hospodar) is shaving and he’s actually showered and his hair is combed perfectly. He looks like a little schoolboy angel. And I walk back in, and he asks, “Poulie, I’m just double-checking, I’m not in the lineup, right?” I said, “You weren’t in the lineup before the game, Eddie, you didn’t work your way into it.”
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a habs nordiques playoff game from 1984 the other night before the habs vegas game.

Similar brawl after the second period. There was actually more fights in that one.

Sure was a different feel to the games back then. Obviously way less skill. But it was definitely more like a war.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dave Brown was a world class POS.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dad took me to a Calgary Centennials game in the 70s - I think the opposition was Victoria Cougars. They had a huge brawl in the warm-ups and the game was cancelled.
My dad was at a London Knights game in the 70s when the players climbed into the stands and started beating on people. He was subpoenaed to appear at the trial as a witness.

The screenplay for Slapshot was written by a sports reporter and almost everything in the movie was inspired by real events.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Dave Brown was a world class POS.
Not disagreeing but he was one of the best fighters the game has ever seen.

One tough son of a bitch. Him and Tim Hunter went a few times, with Tim holding his own.

timbit likely has some stories about Brownie.

Last edited by transplant99; 06-16-2021 at 12:48 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My dad was at a London Knights game in the 70s when the players climbed into the stands and started beating on people. He was subpoenaed to appear at the trial as a witness.
IIRC, I saw the Sutter twins go after fans at a Wranglers game.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not disagreeing but he was one of the best fighters the game has ever seen.

One tough son of a bitch. Him and Tim Hunter went a few times, with Tim holding his own.

timbit likely has some stories about Brownie.
Brown broke Stu Grimson’s face when Stu came into the league. Brown used to have one sleeve of his jersey altered so it was so right opponents couldn’t grab it. Some other guys made theirs so loose it didn’t matter, they could still swing even if the sleeve was being gripped.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad was in this game. He’s told this story many times. Chico Resh is a back up straight out of Slapshot.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
IIRC, I saw the Sutter twins go after fans at a Wranglers game.
Hahahahaha, my maternal grandfather told me stories of the antics the Sutter brothers would get up to. He despised them all, thought the whole family was dirty. He couldn't stand Grace (the family matriarch); the way he told it she'd damn near start throwing fists at anyone in the stands who dared say anything negative about her boys.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #17
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it Dave Brown that beat the holly hell out of Jim Kyte?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #18
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Years ago I was part of the WHL officials mentoring program and got to follow around a linesman before a Hitmen game. This included being on the ice in warms up in case anything started up. I asked him what I should do if a fight broke out and was told bluntly to get the hell off the ice as fast as possible. /cool story

Last edited by FireGilbert; 06-16-2021 at 08:54 PM.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #19
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Was it Dave Brown that beat the holly hell out of Jim Kyte?
Yes, remember it well. Didn’t Kite get sent down after that and he never saw the show again?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #20
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Brown broke Stu Grimson’s face when Stu came into the league. Brown used to have one sleeve of his jersey altered so it was so right opponents couldn’t grab it. Some other guys made theirs so loose it didn’t matter, they could still swing even if the sleeve was being gripped.
Stu had beaten Brown in the previous game, but broke a bone in his right hand.

He should not have been dressed for that game. Unfair advantage that Brown took advantage of...
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post: