Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Comparing Eichel vs McDavid to Seguin vs Hall is ludicrous. During the lottery of the 2015 draft they had McDavid there in studio and when the Oilers won they asked how he felt to go to the Oilers. That was well before the actual draft lol. There was no debate. There was an "Eichel would be a 1st overall on nearly any other year except this one" type discussion, which was pretty much true.
Except there WAS debate.

I vaguely remember replying to someone (Tinordi I think) who said they preferred Eichel.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #42
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say what you will, but MacKinnon's first few years weren't that spectacular with crappy teams. The leadership is lead by Landeskog. Definitely when the Avs picked up other pieces, like Rantenen and Makar and the team started to become a playoff contender, McKinnon also matured along with that. It was last year or 2 years ago when MacKinnon threw a fit that everyone seem to have forgotten, but it's something that can be forgiven if you're a franchise player. The forgotten player out of all of this is Landeskog, IMO. He's the one guy that's left from the rebuild. If the Flames can land him in the lineup, that'll be a game changer.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #43
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the McKinnon really took off after Duchene and O'Reilly were gone. Maybe the added leadership role really helped him. And instead of being thrust into a captaincy role, Landeskog was able to shield that part for him while he was still developing. Definitely all the right pieces fell in place for the Avs for sure.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #44
Knut

Exp:

Mackinnon also spends all summer working out with Crosby and trying to glean as much from him as he can. That likely rubs off on him in a positive way.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Except there WAS debate.

I vaguely remember replying to someone (Tinordi I think) who said they preferred Eichel.
Crosby vs Brule was a debate as well.

Also which talking head back in like 81 said some Soviet was better than Gretzky lol?

The Earth's curvature is also debated then, doesn't mean we need to listen to every idiot.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Comparing Eichel vs McDavid to Seguin vs Hall is ludicrous. During the lottery of the 2015 draft they had McDavid there in studio and when the Oilers won they asked how he felt to go to the Oilers. That was well before the actual draft lol. There was no debate. There was an "Eichel would be a 1st overall on nearly any other year except this one" type discussion, which was pretty much true.
Maybe not by the lottery, but that year, certain media types definitely tried to make it into a contest. They failed, and by the time of the lottery it was obvious.

Matthews v. Laine and Puljujarvi was a thing for a little while too, though it was pretty obvious Matthews was number one. I remember quite a few articles claiming Puljujarvi was the most "NHL-ready" of the three.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #47
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the only person of note saying Eichel would be better than McDavid leading up to the draft was Eichel himself. People had already called the 2015 draft the McDavid sweepstakes long before the 2015 season started. He had been hyped for years.

Matthews vs Laine (vs Puuliulujuluklujujarvi) I think is much more fair.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

there were people on CP saying it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #49
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
there were people on CP saying it
Sure, but I suspect a lot of it was more wishful thinking after knowing the Oilers were going to get McDavid. I know I was crossing my fingers Eichel would be better.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Crosby vs Brule was a debate as well.

Also which talking head back in like 81 said some Soviet was better than Gretzky lol?

The Earth's curvature is also debated then, doesn't mean we need to listen to every idiot.

Not just anyone Soviet. Makarov. He was ours and he was glorious.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #51
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My recollection was that MacKinnon was the clear favourite going into that draft year. As usual, nits are picked and other guys get more mentions, but I still think MacKinnon would have been the favourite.

Jones was interesting, because he did have a ton of hype, started to drop and then was picked by the one franchise that arguably didn't really need him (Preds).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Not just anyone Soviet. Makarov. He was ours and he was glorious.
I thought it was Larionov they used to say that about.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #53
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This includes the 3 meaningless seeding round games last year, though he only put up 3 pts in those games...so his legit playoff totals are even higher.

Only 14 of these games have been in the 2nd round, and none later.

MIN = 10/7 (rookie year)
NAS = 6/6
CGY = 8/5 ; SJ = 5pts/7gp

ARI = 10/5 ; DAL = 12/7
STL = 9/4

He good.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #54
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I thought it was Larionov they used to say that about.

Pretty sure it was Makarov. Wasn't he called the Russian Gretzky?
Old 06-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Say what you will, but MacKinnon's first few years weren't that spectacular with crappy teams. The leadership is lead by Landeskog. Definitely when the Avs picked up other pieces, like Rantenen and Makar and the team started to become a playoff contender, McKinnon also matured along with that. It was last year or 2 years ago when MacKinnon threw a fit that everyone seem to have forgotten, but it's something that can be forgiven if you're a franchise player. The forgotten player out of all of this is Landeskog, IMO. He's the one guy that's left from the rebuild. If the Flames can land him in the lineup, that'll be a game changer.
I really like Landeskog, but definitely not at his price tag. He is easily going to clear $9.0 m on a long-term deal, and I just don't think he will be nearly as good removed from his situation in Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #56
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I really like Landeskog, but definitely not at his price tag. He is easily going to clear $9.0 m on a long-term deal, and I just don't think he will be nearly as good removed from his situation in Denver.

Landeskog might be worth it. Flames need top 6 players that play with sandpaper, and some additional leadership (especially given that Giordano is leaving) might be worth it.

I think you are right, however, in anticipating a reduction in point totals. Definitely a high risk signing, but he does fill a few important holes at the same time. I am on the fence, but I think he gets re-signed anyway before becoming available.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Pretty sure it was Makarov. Wasn't he called the Russian Gretzky?
They did. But I also heard them say it about Larionov during the KLM days - since he was the centre.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #58
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Jones was highly thought of too (but the other guys weren't close)

Just goes to show once again - always take the C

Interesting thread - were we predicting how it would go, or were we making our own rankings? I clearly was under the the weather that day! Or hacked!
Context is key here too.

There was a lot of discussion leading into the draft that Colorado would take Jones who was childhood Avs fan, and that had ties to the community since his dad played for the Nuggets.

So since this was predictions it might not be that people thought Jones was better, just that there was a lot of noise around the draft about Jones to Colorado.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #59
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

So why was Mackinnon so average (and the Avalanche so mediocre, if not bad) from 2014 to 2017, after he won the Calder?

Did he just need to mature a little bit? Work on his strength? Get better teammates? All of the above?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
So why was Mackinnon so average (and the Avalanche so mediocre, if not bad) from 2014 to 2017, after he won the Calder?

Did he just need to mature a little bit? Work on his strength? Get better teammates? All of the above?
Coaching might have had something to do with it. He started his career playing for Joe Sacco and Patrick Roy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: