Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #861
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m surprised to hear references are still a thing. Not sure what I can gather from a reference. Outside of actually confirming employment somewhere.
I think it’s a test to make sure they exist. If you can’t find 3 people to lie for you are you really going to be a good employee.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #862
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the thought references are…I’ll say artificial. Unless the candidate is silly and didn’t pick good references then you aren’t typically going to get anything massively concrete.

I think a better use would be firing up LinkedIn and seeing mutual connects and contacting them. The market in Calgary is not that big and chances are the 6 degrees of separation idea can be cut by many degrees. It’s rare in many industries to no have a mutual connection.

I observed this as a young PM many years ago. We were consulting at a company who had just hired a new manager. The senior PM said, “His name is familiar, I think a friend worked with him.” By noon she had all the dirt on the new manager and if he was going to be good or bad for us. It was eye opening how easy this was to collect, This was all pre-LinkedIn too, it’s even easier now. The lesson was “never burn a bridge.”

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #863
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Know what is annoying?

Hyper specificity in finding candidates.

"I know you have experience building 8 story buildings, but our building is only 7 stories"

"You have plenty of experience building red buildings, but the building we are building is orange, sorry"

"Your experience building buildings on Centre Street is impressive, but you have no experience building anything on Centre Avenue."

Like, I have 25+ years of experience working on all kinds of things, but because my experience doesn't EXACTLY line up with what they are looking for, I can't be a candidate - why?
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #864
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
That sounds far too familiar, just in a different industry. We need a PM support group.

Companies are currently able to be picky. Oh, you don’t have experience implementing x application? No, but I have successfully managed all these projects where I didn’t know the product before I started. More importantly, I know how to manage a team to get the best out of them and how to build relationships with stakeholders.

The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #865
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the craziest thing happened. After more than a year out without a significant contract, I landed a new one with an O&G company. I’m happy to be able to turn off my job alerts, remove the green ring around my LinkedIn picture, and not worry about interviews for at least the rest of the year.

I’m posting this not as a personal brag but more as hope for others. There are others in this little circle of seekers who have been looking for a while too and I just wanted to say keep working at it, something will come up for you. I follow a guy on YouTube who is a former recruiter/CEO who posts his views on job search and interviewing skills. In one of the videos he said something like there is a bit of serendipity to interviews and landing a job. That was certainly true in my case. The right opportunity will come along, and when it does, you’ll just know it.

If I end up needing help on my projects I’ll make sure to post something here. On that note, I was contacted about a different opportunity for a Dynamics 365 PM. If anyone has experience in that space get in touch and I’ll hook you up with the recruiter.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #866
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been a very quiet thread through June and July.
I got a phonecall late last week... for a role I'd interviewed for in late Q1 asking if still interested. So, of course I want to learn more, and have indicated I'm likely to accept but need to see the contract. Phoned this morning and told I should be contacted today/tomorrow... am still waiting. sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #867
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Been a very quiet thread through June and July.
I got a phonecall late last week... for a role I'd interviewed for in late Q1 asking if still interested. So, of course I want to learn more, and have indicated I'm likely to accept but need to see the contract. Phoned this morning and told I should be contacted today/tomorrow... am still waiting. sigh...
I'm just about to hit 3 months again without employment - I've had a grand total of 1 in person interview, with a company that clearly was going to lowball.

A couple of automated video interviews, and now a recruiter that appears to somewhat actually care about me, and not just about the companies they are working for.

Anyone need someone to do anything? I'm a smart guy.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #868
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

My company is looking for a couple sales reps for Western Canada - Enterprise level and Majors level.

Prefer tech or SaaS sales experience. Must be experienced selling into large organizations and comfortable with executive engagement - PM me for info!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #869
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I'm just about to hit 3 months again without employment - I've had a grand total of 1 in person interview, with a company that clearly was going to lowball.

A couple of automated video interviews, and now a recruiter that appears to somewhat actually care about me, and not just about the companies they are working for.

Anyone need someone to do anything? I'm a smart guy.
Yah I hear ya... had a contract from early Q1 until end May then the work dried up so I've SOL since then. Also had a few interviews (which is a "win" in itself). Have tried to get back onto EI so will see if they at least give me that. Otherwise, for O&G environment, the traditional July/August doldrums continue with a side of Covideria. Hoping Sept onwards starts picking up as the world reopens.

If anything, consider July/Aug a great time to just network and chat. Make those calls to friends and colleagues and just shoot the sh*t with them. Don't make it so much about "hey I need a job"... show that you care, have a personality, can listen to them, and find ways to help them out (ie advise, or sharing leads, etc...). Who knows, you might even get a free coffee out of it or even some wings. But don't give up... the squeaky wheel eventually gets the grease.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #870
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
My company is looking for a couple sales reps for Western Canada - Enterprise level and Majors level.

Prefer tech or SaaS sales experience. Must be experienced selling into large organizations and comfortable with executive engagement - PM me for info!

I'll ping my network for that, since that's the area that I've been in for 30 some odd years. If you want to PM me more information let me know

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #871
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Yah I hear ya... had a contract from early Q1 until end May then the work dried up so I've SOL since then. Also had a few interviews (which is a "win" in itself). Have tried to get back onto EI so will see if they at least give me that. Otherwise, for O&G environment, the traditional July/August doldrums continue with a side of Covideria. Hoping Sept onwards starts picking up as the world reopens.

If anything, consider July/Aug a great time to just network and chat. Make those calls to friends and colleagues and just shoot the sh*t with them. Don't make it so much about "hey I need a job"... show that you care, have a personality, can listen to them, and find ways to help them out (ie advise, or sharing leads, etc...). Who knows, you might even get a free coffee out of it or even some wings. But don't give up... the squeaky wheel eventually gets the grease.
Looks like I finally have a contract offer coming in... wow rates have sure declined especially for senior guys. Better a low-rate than a NO-rate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #872
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

More contact already this week, than I've had nearly combined over the last 3 months. Hopefully this leads to something.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #873
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking for a programmer. FT contract, will be permanent if you're the right person.

Most desired skills:

Angular2
.NET
Xamarin
SQL

PM me if interested.

Calgary region only.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #874
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Things are starting to shake loose which is a good thing. I'm having some struggles on some of the recruiting jobs for really high end developers (Full Stack). On the other side of things with React0r, I'm still looking for contract full stack to work on some projects. A solutions architect type is going to be needed as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #875
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Just this week:

Had a phone call the day after applying. Arranged a second interview/technical check this morning, sounds like I’m 1 of 2 candidates they are considering.

Have an interview scheduled next week.

Have talked to a recruiter trying to recommend for another position.

Have talked to a recruiter for a couple weeks about a position they told me was going to come up, it came up this week.

Got a prescreening phone call the day after applying.

At least 5 “leads” this week. That more than the previous 3 months combined.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #876
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the same thing happen before I landed my gig. If felt like a tidal wave of action and then one of them made the offer. A day after I let recruiters know I had an offer one called me back saying a company I had interviewed with wanted a second.

Hopefully it’s a good sign for you and one of them comes through.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #877
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys,

I tried searching in this thread but couldn't find much in here so figured I'd just ask. I am curious if anyone has experience completing a bootcamp from either Lighthouse Labs, BrainStation, General Assembly etc and has any thoughts on their experience?

I am hoping to transition from a fraud/research related role into Data Science/Analytics. I am toying with either going forward with an intensive bootcamp or perhaps enroll in the SAIT Data Analytics course.

If anyone has any info on any of the above, or even experience transitioning into a Data related role and could offer any advice I would certainly appreciate it!
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emti For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #878
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Hey guys,

I tried searching in this thread but couldn't find much in here so figured I'd just ask. I am curious if anyone has experience completing a bootcamp from either Lighthouse Labs, BrainStation, General Assembly etc and has any thoughts on their experience?

I am hoping to transition from a fraud/research related role into Data Science/Analytics. I am toying with either going forward with an intensive bootcamp or perhaps enroll in the SAIT Data Analytics course.

If anyone has any info on any of the above, or even experience transitioning into a Data related role and could offer any advice I would certainly appreciate it!
I did Lighthouse Labs about 1.5 years ago.

It was absolutely fricking terrible and a complete waste of money. I am now short $10k that I'll never get back.

Yes you learn lots of new stuff. Yes they do offer career services. No, employers don't really hire bootcamp grads, unless they're sketchy start ups on life support through government grants. There's really no short cut to a new career.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #879
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Hey guys,

They're all useless. Bootcamps are useless. Get a MCS with a focus on Data Science.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #880
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bootcamps are only useful if you apply the knowledge learned to build your own portfolio projects that you can show off to employers. Getting a certificate isn't enough.

I've taken a Web Development Bootcamp on Udemy and am currently completing a Python Bootcamp while doing portfolio projects, with the hope that I'll have a portfolio site with a bunch of projects ready to go soon before I start applying for jobs again. I don't know if it'll work, but it'll feel good to have something tangible to show off during a job hunt.

The Data Science/Analytics is probably a safer bet, especially if you enjoy it. I'm not an expert though.

Last edited by mile; 08-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post: