Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #1441
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Had a police? helicoptor doing low-runs over our NW neighborhood last night from about 2am to 230'ish. About every 2-4 mins. No searchlight though. Just low loud runs at probably a few hundred feet. Talk about disrupting sleep. very annoying. Probably doing a thermographic camera grid to catch all the neighborly friendly giant grow ops.
Near Varsity I'm assuming? I heard the helicopter last night as well although it seems like there have been a lot of late night flyovers during the last 12 months.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #1442
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I don't really understand how the police or city are not on the hook for the cost of that damage. Putting the cost on the police would drive some accountability and likely reduce the number of these no knock warrants as well.
More likely it just increases our taxes lol.

I don't know why Canada didn't just implement a carte blanche ban on no-knock warrants unless there's actual life and death on the line. Vancouver doesn't do it. Ottawa banned it for most scenarios (after a death and some lost constitutional cases). Right now we're literally just waiting for someone to be killed in Alberta and then we'll ban it.

And people aren't dumping six kilograms and a bunch of guns down the toilet. Anyone able to flush their drugs, probably isn't worth investigating in the first place cause you aren't going to have a drug dealer with a bunch of fentanyl and no protection from rivals.

Honestly, at this point I think it's all about giving police some fun. Blowing up #### like they do in the movies. It's not about some form of benefit to society.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #1443
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
This happens frequently. Usually not noteworthy because the victims are not white, middle class families.

There needs to be significantly stronger requirements to obtain a no-knock warrant. There was literally no reason for it in this case except they were worried that any drugs might get flushed. That shouldn't be sufficient cause to endanger civilians and police officers.
That was my first thought as well. White couple finally make this newsworthy, while minorities take the brunt of these types of exercises and policies year after year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:26 PM   #1444
jayswin

Exp:

I will support police officers I know personally and figure that the vast majority are good people. But man, running an operation with mostly african immigrants that lived in forest lawn was a heart breaking, eye opening experience for me.

We used to start in foothills industrial at 6am, Sunday to Thursday. Sunday was my "which employee would be pulled over for driving while black in forest lawn at 5:30am on the weekend" day. So gut wrenching when you come to the realization that we employ racist, targeted policing.

And I would have never known if I did't have that unique position, so I assume most Calgarians don't know.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-18-2021 at 10:33 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #1445
jayswin

Exp:

My one employee was scarred on his face from Sudan, and drove a crappy old civic. Outside of that appearance he was the kindest human being you'd ever meet that sent every cent he didn't need to live, back to his family in Africa.

THREE ****ing pull overs where he did nothing to initiate the pull over, but was forced to prove his identity, ownership of vehicle and harassed for more info about what he was doing.

Life is different when you're white, even in Calgary. I hope everyone understands this.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-18-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:37 AM   #1446
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for sharing, Jay
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #1447
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

When I first moved to Canada I had this naive idea that racial profiling doesn't happen here like it does in the States, that Canadian society is better than that, but that was put to bed by an African co-worker who told me he got pulled over all the time for driving his expensive car (Jag) home after a night shift.

I don't want to solely bag on cops though. Some do a great job. We had a potentially dangerous situation on our street a few nights ago where a neighbour locked himself in his house threatening to harm himself (I believe there was a gun involved) and the police handled it all very calmly and professionally until it was thankfully defused safely.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #1448
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Its part of the police's job to profile people. Which creates a viscous feedback loop.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #1449
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an officer with the VPD and not the CPS, but another real winner here who was recently fired with a number of criminal allegations including domestic violence and possession of a controlled substance.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/officer-facing...ment-1.5476640

Quote:
In a police conduct proceeding, the department found the constable assaulted his ex-girlfriend five times during a trip to Oregon in 2017.

But Logan's penalty, following the finding last year, was a 15-day suspension without pay.
Quote:
The officer is still facing charges in connection with other allegations.

Late last year, the constable was charged with assault and uttering threats against a woman for an incident alleged to have taken place in March 2014.

The investigation in that case began in June of last year.

Logan was already on extended leave at that time, awaiting the results of another misconduct probe examining his and another officer's role in responding to a domestic violence allegation that left an engineer seriously injured.

And in January, Logan was charged with theft, possession of a controlled substance and breach of trust following an investigation into what Vancouver Police Deputy Chief Const. Laurence Rankin called a "workplace incident."

The specific charges – which relate to a date in May 2020, when Logan was on duty – allege theft of a flap of fentanyl, possession of fentanyl, theft of three lottery tickets (under $5,000), and two counts of breach of trust by using authority to commit theft.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #1450
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Had a police? helicoptor doing low-runs over our NW neighborhood last night from about 2am to 230'ish. About every 2-4 mins. No searchlight though. Just low loud runs at probably a few hundred feet. Talk about disrupting sleep. very annoying. Probably doing a thermographic camera grid to catch all the neighborly friendly giant grow ops.
It's more likely they were searching for a suspect in the area. Every night there are multiple reports of car prowlers or people casing homes in neighborhoods all over Calgary. The helicopter is the best tool for locating them, and they rarely use the search light in that circumstance.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #1451
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No jail time for Alex Dunn.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ence-1.6084597
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #1452
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dunn, 34, who was convicted of assault causing bodily harm for the violent takedown in 2017, was handed a one-month sentence — half to be served under house arrest, half under a curfew — by provincial court Judge Michelle Christopher.
#### you Judge Christopher.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #1453
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So incredibly disgusting and disappointing
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #1454
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Calgary police shoot man dead on 17th Avenue S.E. in Forest Lawn

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...in-forest-lawn

There's video of the shooting in this Reddit thread. CPS deployed ARWEN less-than-lethal rounds and TASER which were ineffective in stopping the guy. He was shot and killed by officers. The K9 in the video was seriously hurt but it going to live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ot_full_video/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #1455
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Calgary police shoot man dead on 17th Avenue S.E. in Forest Lawn

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...in-forest-lawn

There's video of the shooting in this Reddit thread. CPS deployed ARWEN less-than-lethal rounds and TASER which were ineffective in stopping the guy. He was shot and killed by officers. The K9 in the video was seriously hurt but it going to live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ot_full_video/
If anyone wants to spare themselves the video, he charged police wielding a knife and stick/pipe, and closed the distance to police (and a police dog) very FAST.

Mental health failure. Police just happened to catch the end of it, and did a great job all things considered. Sad for all involved.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #1456
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a bit of context, I'd like to note that depending on which video you watch (I've seen a 9 minute one and a 1 minute one) that you are seeing the very tail end of a ~25 minute incident.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-20-2022 at 07:35 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #1457
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1495394910068887553

Weird comment if you watched the video. We have weird councillors now.

Last edited by Weitz; 02-20-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #1458
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That is such a horse#### take. I've been more critical of police in recent years than most, but in this situation what else were they supposed to do? A man charged them with a weapon, they tried using non-lethal methods, and only when those didn't work did they open fire with live rounds. We could only hope that police forces around the world would show the level of restraint that the CPS showed today, I imagine that guy would have ended up dead far sooner had this happened in the US
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #1459
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That is such a horse#### take. I've been more critical of police in recent years than most, but in this situation what else were they supposed to do? A man charged them with a weapon, they tried using non-lethal methods, and only when those didn't work did they open fire with live rounds. We could only hope that police forces around the world would show the level of restraint that the CPS showed today, I imagine that guy would have ended up dead far sooner had this happened in the US
It depends how you interpret it. He could be criticizing the police for their action, which would be wrong, or he could be criticizing the mental health system that failed the deceased, which is most likely true. He’s my councillor and I’m going to ask him to clarify, and to be fair he did say he way awaiting further information so hopefully he makes a more informed comment.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #1460
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It depends how you interpret it. He could be criticizing the police for their action, which would be wrong, or he could be criticizing the mental health system that failed the deceased, which is most likely true. He’s my councillor and I’m going to ask him to clarify, and to be fair he did say he way awaiting further information so hopefully he makes a more informed comment.
If it's the latter, then why bring race into it? It doesn't matter what color someone is, if they charge police with a weapon and non-lethal methods don't work, they're getting shot every single time
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote