Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #4021
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
None of those names are better than Hamilton or Lindholm+Hanifin. Only Barzal is close.
Hamilton's asset lifecycle just ended a couple of weeks ago.

No argument from me on Hani+Lindholm, but we can't forget pick 45, 52, Ferland, and Fox (aka. two more 2nds).

Would you trade:
1 year of Ferland (maybe you re-sign, or maybe trade for another pick or asset)
Four 2nds (37OA, 41*, 45, 52) *it was a conditional 2nd/3rd; the other three picks were known values
any of: Connor/Chabot/Eriksson Ek/Colin White/Samsonov/Boeser/Konecny/Roslovic

for Hanifin+Lindholm?

I suppose I might entertain it with the italicized players, but I'd still lean towards no.

The non-italicized players are fairly close to Lindholm value...so four 2nds and 1 year of Ferland for Hanifin?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #4022
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hamilton's asset lifecycle just ended a couple of weeks ago.

No argument from me on Hani+Lindholm, but we can't forget pick 45, 52, Ferland, and Fox (aka. two more 2nds).

Would you trade:
1 year of Ferland (maybe you re-sign, or maybe trade for another pick or asset)
Four 2nds (37OA, 41*, 45, 52) *it was a conditional 2nd/3rd; the other three picks were known values
any of: Connor/Chabot/Eriksson Ek/Colin White/Samsonov/Boeser/Konecny/Roslovic

for Hanifin+Lindholm?

I suppose I might entertain it with the italicized players, but I'd still lean towards no.

The non-italicized players are fairly close to Lindholm value...so four 2nds and 1 year of Ferland for Hanifin?
But you have to trade all of those things together for those names, no?

Of course, the trouble with Ferland is we know what happened with him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #4023
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
My boy is going to be 13 this summer. I raised him to be a Flames fan. He has seen exactly one playoff series win in his lifetime.

Fire his (Tre's) a$$. My kid will have a 13 year old before we can enjoy another series win.
Here's an idea. You could talk him into being a Leafs fan instead. They have won exactly zero playoff series in his lifetime.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #4024
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you have to trade all of those things together for those names, no?

Of course, the trouble with Ferland is we know what happened with him.
I don't understand your first sentence, but I know my post is pretty clunky.

As for Ferland, we know he scored 17G 40P in 71gp for CAR that year. He didn't do much in 7 playoff games (IIRC he ended up getting hurt again in the PO's?).

If we kept the 2015 1st we had a 9/11 chance of getting someone in the realm of Lindholm or Hanifin (EE and JR being later bloomers), for the full lifecycle of a draft pick.

Could we fill the role of the other one (Lind/Hani) through four 2nds and Ferland?

A lot of sliding doors here, but I look at great teams like TBL, NYI, BOS, and CAR - all have tons of 2nd-4th rd picks on their teams (and lots of late 1sts). Maybe Fox stays (probably not). Maybe we don't sign Neal (or Brouwer for that matter). Or trade for Elliott/Smith if we weren't in such a rush. We almost certainly don't have to buy out as many guys if we're getting some more ELC value.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #4025
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The topic of Treliving staying or going is apparently still relevant as this morning on NHL Network radio, Elliotte Friedman was asked if Treliving was on solid ground or was Darryl "flexing his muscle" and (it was inferred) making a push for Mike Futa to join.

Friedman said he doesn't expect a change, and that he believes Treliving would be staying but that team meetings were wrapping up this week so he expected to hear something one way or another by the end of the week.

Thought that was interesting as I felt by this point the issue was dead.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #4026
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The topic of Treliving staying or going is apparently still relevant as this morning on NHL Network radio, Elliotte Friedman was asked if Treliving was on solid ground or was Darryl "flexing his muscle" and (it was inferred) making a push for Mike Futa to join.

Friedman said he doesn't expect a change, and that he believes Treliving would be staying but that team meetings were wrapping up this week so he expected to hear something one way or another by the end of the week.

Mike Futa was if I recall correctly responsible for amateur scouting and a lot of the players we remember from LA’s cup teams.

Maybe time to clean out some of Tre’s band of hand picked mediocrity. Don Maloney and Ray Edwards come to mind, now that the coaches have been taken care of.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #4027
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Anything that adds more minds to the table. The pro scouting on this team has gotten stale, well actually it was never very good to begin with. So I'd be all for a guy with a track record for success. If this helps give a Brad a backseat to keep him from acquiring the Lazar's, Hamonic's, Brouwer's, Nordstrom's and Neal's of the world, I'm in. Tre is a good GM, does a lot well, but he can't scout at a level we need. Good GMs need to land and land often. Teams that become elite don't make a lot of mistakes and our group has made far too many mistakes, regardless how little or big as they're all opportunities to evaluate what you have (players or management).

If we want to become elite, then we need elite decision making and that means way more good than bad. Look at Vegas as an example, they look like Stanley Cup contenders every year because their braintrust has made considerably more good decisions than bad decisions.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #4028
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Here's an idea. You could talk him into being a Leafs fan instead. They have won exactly zero playoff series in his lifetime.
I've punished him enough turning him into a Flames fan!
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #4029
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a real nice BUMP here. Tre sounded overly emotional at his press conference... I think we have a classic case of smoke and mirrors with this guy. He is overrating his players (and team) to the point he loses them for free.

The scariest thing from all the things that have happened today is WHAT is he going to do with the cap space.... I am terrified.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #4030
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Just a real nice BUMP here. Tre sounded overly emotional at his press conference... I think we have a classic case of smoke and mirrors with this guy. He is overrating his players (and team) to the point he loses them for free.

The scariest thing from all the things that have happened today is WHAT is he going to do with the cap space.... I am terrified.
Maybe he’ll sign more players like (horrors) Tanev and Markstrom.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #4031
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Or maybe we will get another Neal and Brouwer? Who knows? Lets hope for the best!
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #4032
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d rather he didn’t. UFA’s over thirty just a bad idea and as well as Tanev played, I’m not counting on a repeat.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #4033
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of us knows what the trade market looked like but it's a bit disappointing that the Flames couldn't trade Gio for something better, even with a bit of retention, than the next best player we would have lost. Or even at the last trade deadline when they were all but mathematically eliminated.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #4034
Lucky-Dave
Draft Pick

Brad is one of the worst GMs for asset management, ok at least second next to Holland in Edm. We keep losing assets and getting nothing in return all on the hopes of squeaking into a play-off spot. He sounded anything but confident on the interview after the Gio announcement tonight.
Lucky-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #4035
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Being an nhl gm is one of the easiest jobs in the world, it’s cushy, low stress, anyone can do it and pays super well. Good GMs are a dime a dozen and building a winner is easy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #4036
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Markstrom is still a question mark
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #4037
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’d rather he didn’t. UFA’s over thirty just a bad idea and as well as Tanev played, I’m not counting on a repeat.
There are hardly any UFAs under 30. But I’m not a big UFA signing supporter in the first place. I think they account for most teams bigger mistakes.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #4038
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Markstrom is still a question mark
Not in my book - he was just fine pre injury and when he finally recovered fully.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #4039
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-Dave View Post
Brad is one of the worst GMs for asset management, ok at least second next to Holland in Edm. We keep losing assets and getting nothing in return all on the hopes of squeaking into a play-off spot. He sounded anything but confident on the interview after the Gio announcement tonight.
Teams lose players for nothing every single year...the Flames lost a 38 year old making 6.75 with one year left because of an expansion draft.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #4040
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-Dave View Post
I swear I've read this somewhere else. Has a mod moved it?
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote