Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #41
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Some details

Couldn't really say on whether a connecting flight would be eligible too. Say Arrive from Hawaii from Vancouver, but travel domestic from Van to Cgy. I think that will have a impact for my plans over spring break as there are few direct flight from Calgary to where we vacation.
I'm still waiting for confirmation on this, but right now, I *think* that as long as your first point of entry into Canada is Calgary (YYC), your flight qualifies for the test program.

For example, if your flight home is Somewhere Warm to Denver to Calgary, it would qualify.

But if it's Somewhere Warm to Toronto to Calgary, it would not qualify, since Toronto is your first point of entry into Canada.

Here are all the international destinations that are currently available with a non-stop flight from YYC:

Denver (DEN) - United Airlines
Dallas (DFW) - American Airlines
Palm Springs (PSP) - Westjet
Phoenix (PHX) - Westjet
Los Angeles (LAX) - Westjet

Cancun, Mexico (CUN) - Westjet
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PVR) - Westjet

Amsterdam (AMS) - KLM

Yep, that's it! This pilot program may help bring back a few more.

The Westjet flights to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta just restarted earlier this month. The rest have been operating for a while.

Calgary to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) keeps getting cancelled and pushed back (now scheduled for December). Costa Rica just removed their requirement for a negative test result.

Mexico does not require a negative test result or quarantine on their end.

Hawaii is a complicated subject at the moment. You can avoid Hawaii's quarantine on their end with a negative test result, but they're only accepting tests from certain U.S. labs. No flights from Canada directly to Hawaii have restarted yet. They just got cancelled and pushed back (again) to December.

At San Francisco airport (SFO), United Airlines is offering two types of covid tests that meet Hawaii's requirements. Canadians with a long enough connection at SFO could potentially make use of the $250 USD option (ouch), which takes about 15 minutes.

--

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 10-22-2020 at 08:10 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 PM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Some details

Couldn't really say on whether a connecting flight would be eligible too. Say Arrive from Hawaii from Vancouver, but travel domestic from Van to Cgy. I think that will have a impact for my plans over spring break as there are few direct flight from Calgary to where we vacation.
Curious where this is from? As a Canadian citizen, this says I would still need to stay for 14 days to take advantage of this program. My challenge with the existing rule is needing to stay in Canada for 14 days at a time, although obviously would be better not to have to quarantine for that time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #43
spetch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Curious where this is from? As a Canadian citizen, this says I would still need to stay for 14 days to take advantage of this program. My challenge with the existing rule is needing to stay in Canada for 14 days at a time, although obviously would be better not to have to quarantine for that time.

https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #44
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We flew International in August/September. We booked an Iceland trip because the numbers were really low and we could get flights to go there. Also, most of the things to see are outdoors therefore it didn’t really matter if the museums were closed. We also mostly booked accommodations with kitchens so we didn’t need to worry about restaurants if we didn’t want to.

Routes
Calgary - Toronto - London - Reykjavik
Reykjavik - London - Vancouver - Calgary

Every flight except the YVR-YYC was well under capacity.
Mandatory masks on every flight.
Air Canada handed out kits on each flight which had masks, gloves, antiseptic wipes, single use sanitizer, two small bottles of sanitizer, 250ml bottle of water and a bag of pretzels. They also policed the passengers and would get after the odd one who wasn’t wearing their mask right. The vast majority of flyers were taking things seriously. I definitely felt safe. Wearing a mask for about 15 hours wasn’t onerous. Eating and drinking you had the mask off. You could get enough breaks if the mask bothered you. I’d just suggest you get masks that are comfortable.

The quarantine wasn’t a big deal. It prevented daily bike rides but with home grocery delivery and everyone WFH it wasn’t terrible. It was also known before hand and was just part of the experience.

If you are traveling the biggest thing is to expect things to go wrong or things to change. We had flights cancelled on us weeks before, and also on the day we hit Iceland. We had quarantine rules change in Iceland just before we left. We ended up booking two different airlines back to London so we were sure to get back in time for our transatlantic flight.

With the quarantine rule changes (which are pretty close to what we had to do in Iceland) it makes things easier. The drawback is lots of countries are spiking again and therefore might not be the ones you want to go to. Also Europe doesn’t want us anymore so that’s out for the foreseeable future. We feel really lucky/privileged to have gotten to Iceland. It was a fantastic trip.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.
_________________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #45
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Were there also mandatory masks at Thor's house?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #46
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
^^ Were there also mandatory masks at Thor's house?
Must be made of leather
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #47
darockwilder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife knows someone who the second she got the email from WestJet booked a flight to Maui. By the end of the day she had second thoughts and cancelled it. She'd had a trip there booked in the Spring but it got cancelled. Cancel culture something something.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #48
Reggie28
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
But how do they enforce that. Isn't 14 day quarantine also required? The quarantine doesn't seem to have any enforcement measures for the couple times I've had to do it.
When a colleague of mine was under quarantine, the RCMP showed up at his house three times.

I speculate he argued with CBSA if the quarantine was valid, as we provide an essential service, but to the American economy.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #49
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
When a colleague of mine was under quarantine, the RCMP showed up at his house three times.

I speculate he argued with CBSA if the quarantine was valid, as we provide an essential service, but to the American economy.
Interesting. Today is my "freedom" day from quarantine and I didn't receive any kind of follow up. I definitely didn't argue anything at the border.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #50
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The government just added a whole bunch of new restrictions to the pilot program at YYC, mainly involving where you are not allowed to visit for 2 weeks after returning to Alberta. This includes daycares, schools, long term care facilities, etc.

Pilot participants may also only return to work with the permission of the employer and if the employer has implemented COVID-19 measures in accordance with Albertaís guidelines.

Pilot participants cannot attend events where there are more than 10 people (including the participant) for 14 days.

For a full list of all the restrictions and details, go to: https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx

--

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #51
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can say the process was decently smooth yesterday at the airport. Not sure what daily check ins look like yet but even with the added restrictions it is still worth it.

**Right after I posted I received my daily check in reminder and it was a simple survey.**

Last edited by fundmark19; 11-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #52
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those added restrictions exclude my family from going anywhere on spring break. Hopefully things will be quieted down by then on the covid front and they have loosened up a bit.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #53
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just received my second negative test result as part of the program. Still need to follow the rules for another 6 days however I having this flexibility thus far has been great.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

These rules don’t change much for me. As my Dad is in a senior home I would need to wait two weeks before seeing him but would enjoy having some freedom during that period so that’s a plus.

With these rules, any trip to Calgary would be a three week trip pretty much so will wait until January. Calgary in middle of winter is not pleasant, but at least airbnb prices are rock bottom then.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #55
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semi-related question: when do you think the Canada/US border re-opens to non-essential land travel? Granted, I don't think I'd voluntarily go to the US anytime soon but it would be nice to have something to plan for...
Old 11-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #56
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Semi-related question: when do you think the Canada/US border re-opens to non-essential land travel? Granted, I don't think I'd voluntarily go to the US anytime soon but it would be nice to have something to plan for...

Well they wonít have leadership that takes the pandemic seriously for another 2 months plus... so I would not expect it to be until the second quarter of 2021 at the earliest. And thatís assuming the misinformation can actually be countered anytime soon thereafter
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:08 AM   #57
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IMO it's going to be closed for the long haul. Even though they are doing the month-to-month thing, I'm pretty sure the government has had private talks amongst themselves about it being closed longer term.

I think they do the monthly announcements for a couple reasons. First of all we all know Trump is a giant man-child. If they were to announce the border being closed until the US get's their #### together, he might retaliate against us with additional tariffs or penalties. By keeping it monthly, it gives the illusion of dialogue being open. It's probably more stressful for Canadians this way and I'm sure most of us would appreciate one big announcement of it being closed long term. But these are the games one must play with this US administration.

As well Canada at one point over the summer was on the short list for countries to travel to the EU. However Canada never reciprocated the act. We've since been removed due to our increasing rates. But during the summer the EU for the most part had it under control and still we did not open to them. If there's no opening to a region that had it under control, it's definitely not going to reopen to the south anytime soon.

I honestly think summer is the absolute soonest the border will open. Even that's an extremely optimistic view. We've got our own outbreak to deal with and it would be absolute suicide on a political and personal scale to open to the US before the pandemic is nearing it's end. The US is nowhere near that end game yet. Personally I'd hold off any plans to travel there until the border itself is actually officially announced as open again.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’d be stupid, in my opinion, to open the land border to a country that’s the world hotspot with the ****storm down there. It’ll be closed for a long time.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #59
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Itíd be stupid, in my opinion, to open the land border to a country thatís the world hotspot with the ****storm down there. Itíll be closed for a long time.
As bad as it is here, and it definitely is, US ranks 32nd in the world in new deaths/million population per day. Not sure world hotspot is correct, as bad as it is here.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #60
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It’d be stupid, in my opinion, to open the land border to a country that’s the world hotspot with the ****storm down there. It’ll be closed for a long time.
While I'm sure the hospitality/tourism industry (especially hotels) would appreciate the bump in business, I'm inclined to agree.

Fingers crossed for the summer of 2021 I guess -- hopefully it means we can take the kids and not have to worry about a 14-day quarantine messing up with school.