Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Are you sending your kid(s) back to school?
Yes 102 61.08%
No - we are choosing the home/hub option 36 21.56%
Undecided 29 17.37%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:
Default Are you sending your kids back to school

Poll time.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Undecided right now. The plan has so many holes in it. I can tell my daughter to wear a mask in class, but it really doesn't help her unless everyone's doing it. Her school has open pods as well - how the heck are you going to distance?

We're still waiting to hear how her school is going to operate, but I don't have a lot of hope.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, but to a private school with a LOT of resources available to ensure small class sizes and plenty of sanitary practices.

That being said, my wife and I are still battling panic when we think about the decision. We are weighing many different factors in this decision. It's definitely an agonizing choice to make.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
Nancy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still trying to figure this out.

For my son, we were hoping to switch highschools to a less crowded one and have sent the registration forms but the school is closed for another two weeks and we won't know until then. Through the grapevine we have been told that there are a lot of people trying to do the same thing and that it likely will not happen. Hub registration starts next week, but my son doesn't like the limited course options. I have actually contemplated the private school option, but it is probably too late for that.

My daughter is registered at the University of Calgary for the fall, but last week she said she was thinking about deferring for a year, as she was both anxious and depressed about the thought of doing University online as she didn't like her experience with CBE's online learning this spring.

Last edited by Nancy; 08-06-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely Yes,

The online options don’t appear to be streamed based on commitment or even outline what a day will look like so it appears to 100% rely on the luck of the teacher you are getting for the quality of education.

Belgium, Japan, and France are all going with 1m or no spacing models for going back to school so Alberta’s plan is not out of step with many other places in the world.

If this fails it will fail quickly. AHS will be monitoring and testing and if schools drive spread past sustainable rates they will very quickly go back to online anyway.

I think there is more work to be done by high schools and junior highs around cohorting but for K-6 I think the current plans are reasonably safe.

Will we avoid any high risk people for the first month of school to see how it goes? Probably. My kids are begging to go back to real school, We have no risk factors and there is no expert advice which would not recommend at least attempting to start the year.

The only thing that would make me change this approach would be 3 more consecutive weeks of 30% case growth. But hopefully we will be in the flat to negative range which people taking it more seriously and the implementation of mask bylaws.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

All schools in Illinois will open remotely for at least the first trimester. We were not sending her back anyway. Lots of school related positives in Tennessee, whose schools opened only just over a week ago.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just guessing that about 5% of parents will choose the hub option.

For my school, that means ~29 students out of 575.

I'm guessing that means my school will have to assign a teacher to the hub, but where do you take that teacher from? Say a grade has 4 classes of 25 and you take one of those teachers, now you have 3 classes of 32?

Lots of questions about how this will come together! Eager to see how it works out.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's certainly some trepidation but my youngest in particular really struggled with the learning from home and needs the socialization. They've learned to be pretty good about hand washing, wearing masks and not touching anything, but we've accepted there is some level of risk with them going back to school.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Are you sending your kids back to school

My kids do not want to go back, but I really need to see what the schools are planning on doing for online education. I suppose if enough parents opt for home schooling, maybe it will make attendance at the physical schools more doable.

Maybe that’s the plan. Convince enough parents how bad going to school will be so they can achieve small classroom sizes and physical distances will be possible.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
marsplasticeraser
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Trying parent led homeschool. Wanted to go cbe but nobody would answer any emails about homeschool, so doing it with a different school division.

We chose parent led homeschool as we can’t face the admin headaches of the hub model being offered.

To make it easy we have hired two university students taking education to help out. Seems like it will work out. Our kids are excited.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My kid's going to kindergarten so it sort of has to be yes, as there's no online option for that, and we don't have any desire to wait a year, or have him be behind when Grade 1 starts up. He needs the socialization and structure at school as well, which we can't provide as well at home. Our school is small/apparently has relatively small class sizes which gives us some comfort on distancing and such as well.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

We're not enthusiastic about any of the options but have pretty much settled on the hub learning. We haven't heard anything from the school yet, but we're not really expecting to hear anything that will change our mind.

It's been agonizing mulling all this over. Our son is going into Grade 6 in what would've been a new school. 2 of his friends would've been going to the same school, but that's it and obviously no guarantee they're in the same class. So he's potentially in a class with all new kids (not a big deal but he was already anxious about it before COVID hit, and it would obviously have been something he would just have to suck it up and deal with) but now there's the added anxieties of adhering to social distancing and hand washing and mask wearing and so on. I just don't see school as being a fun environment for any kids this year.

We discussed with the parents of one of his friends and they're leaning to hub learning too, so we'll create a cohort of two (or three) kids and alternate between our houses so they can have some kind of social activity while learning, which has been another concern of ours.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
shniper
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Going to wait 2 months before sending them back to see how it all plays out.
shniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #14
justkidding
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shniper View Post
Going to wait 2 months before sending them back to see how it all plays out.
If you are in the CBE, I believe you will have to wait until February 1st before you will be allowed back in to the school.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justkidding For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
shniper
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
If you are in the CBE, I believe you will have to wait until February 1st before you will be allowed back in to the school.

I wish. Unfortunately from a smallish hick town, where the school board currently has no plans to offer online learning, or anything other than full classrooms.
shniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
you&me
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't want to spread rumours or misinformation, but... We've now heard from several (otherwise unrelated) people, in various positions in the CBE that the classroom reopening is likely to be temporary and very short term; one principal friend didn't expect it to last until Thanksgiving... It allows for an "at least we tried" narrative to feed to working parents, who'd otherwise be livid that homeschooling was continued without an in-class alternative...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I don't want to spread rumours or misinformation, but... We've now heard from several (otherwise unrelated) people, in various positions in the CBE that the classroom reopening is likely to be temporary and very short term; one principal friend didn't expect it to last until Thanksgiving... It allows for an "at least we tried" narrative to feed to working parents, who'd otherwise be livid that homeschooling was continued without an in-class alternative...
I think they are just speculating like the rest of us. No one knows what is going to happen. I think they are right, but I think it is wrong to believe that a decision has already been made and is being kept secret.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #18
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My kids do not want to go back, but I really need to see what the schools are planning on doing for online education. I suppose if enough parents opt for home schooling, maybe it will make attendance at the physical schools more doable.

Maybe that’s the plan. Convince enough parents how bad going to school will be so they can achieve small classroom sizes and physical distances will be possible.
Classes aren't going to decrease if students opt for the online option. The funding model is based on a specific student teacher ratio. If a school loses 100 students as they have opted in to the online option, then they will lose four teachers. Classes will be redistributed to adjust to the new staffing reality. They will need those teachers to direct the online students.

If students leave the district entirely, that is a different story. School funding won't be impacted this year, but it will be next year. School funding is based on a three year average. If CBE sees thousands of students leave, then they will lose considerable funding the following year - when they are all back.

It used to be that districts were funded based on their enrollment on Sept 30 each year, but the UCP changed that.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #19
Dynamic
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My kids are going back. But I’m small town rural Alberta. BUT I fully expect my kids to be home plenty for the usual sniffles. My youngest battles allergies so I’m curious to see how this works.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #20
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I think they are just speculating like the rest of us. No one knows what is going to happen. I think they are right, but I think it is wrong to believe that a decision has already been made and is being kept secret.
I think the right model for how decisions have been made during this pandemic is, "what are people calling for." As opposed to what does science actually support. This makes sense, because the biggest incentive politicians have is to get re-elected. I always say they try to find a parade and March in front.

When schools were originally shut down it wasn't based on community spread in school, it was based on fear in the population. Similarly, the decision to fully reopen happened when cases were high and growing fast, but that's what people (especially parents) wanted. They did a poor job communicating (and planning!) and the public wanted masks for students. (The comments on the Facebook Live feed were pretty one sided on the issue) so now we have a half-a##$ mask plan.

TL;DR If the public wants the schools to stay open in the fall they will
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote