Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Do yu support the mandatory mask bylaw in indoor public spaces as implemented by the
Yes 271 87.99%
No 37 12.01%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #21
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear one and I hate it. Its not about me though. I wear one at work as I work in peoples homes and my job is very very physically demanding and I hate it but again....id rather not be criticized, condemned or complained about so I avoid the argument and wear the damn thing.
If I can so can anyone.

Wear it.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1285335628133969921
I thought this was interesting. Why such the disconnect? Is public support really that low, or is this just a sign that Russian bots want us all to get sick?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Voted no not because I'm anti-mask, but because it shouldn't be law. I think business should be allowed to, and should, refuse to serve those without masks, I just don't think its something you should be fined/arrested for.
Iím interested in how you see this differing from say the Covid restaurant spacing restrictions, general food safety restrictions, or public decency laws requiring me to wear clothes?

Why is mask wearing for health where you draw the line of the government overstepping itís authority?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #24
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Voted no not because I'm anti-mask, but because it shouldn't be law. I think business should be allowed to, and should, refuse to serve those without masks, I just don't think its something you should be fined/arrested for.
I just don't get that line of thinking, if a public health crisis comes up and we are dealing with a Pandemic, I think it should be more than ok for a government or municipality to enforce mandates that protect the public.

I mean we want to stop the spread, protect our vulnerable, and be good citizens. Sadly unless its mandated there is always a portion of people who will be idiots about it.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I thought this was interesting. Why such the disconnect? Is public support really that low, or is this just a sign that Russian bots want us all to get sick?
Yeah...it's the same with Nenshi's tweets about the bylaw. Just full of ugly comments and frothy mouths. I suspect she got the "jihad". When I voted it was 80/20 for with a lot of total votes.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #26
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

I voted yes, though I hope the province takes a stricter stance on restaurants, bars and gyms as well, since the city has not mandated masks in these establishments (somewhat logically, I guess)

We have to keep in mind that some of the no votes are because people think that the bylaw doesn’t go far enough.

Last edited by agulati; 07-22-2020 at 10:01 AM.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #27
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I voted yes, though I hope the province takes a stricter stance on restaurants, bars and gyms as well.

We have to keep in mind that some of the no votes are because people think that the bylaw doesnít go far enough.
Theyíll be part of a narrower range of shut downs in the 2nd round. They just canít adapt enough due to how they have to operate. Itís too bad, but if we can keep most everything else operating, and kids in schools (so people who can work remote can get things done), then we should be able to find a way to financially support restaurants, bars, and gyms in their inevitable next shut down phase.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is because the question came from Notley. Same question from Kenney and I would bet the numbers would be reversed.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #29
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The flip side of that coin is I don't think businesses should have to choose between providing a safer workplace for their employees and customers and alienating a certain portion of the public.

City council is doing what they can to make people safer, as well as taking the bullet for businesses that want to mandate masks, but may feel like it would be detrimental to their business, which has likely already taken a big hit this year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #30
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted no, because there has been no indication that people are contracting the virus by going to malls, Safeway or Home Depot. It seems as though cases are on the rise because individuals have chosen to break the social distance rule with family or friends in indoor settings.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #31
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

One thing I want to applaud is the people who have been anti-mask in the past and have come around to accepting and actively wearing them.

Everybody likes that. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #32
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
Voted no, because there has been no indication that people are contracting the virus by going to malls, Safeway or Home Depot. It seems as though cases are on the rise because individuals have chosen to break the social distance rule with family or friends in indoor settings.
A lot of the current cases are not traceable - meaning that we don't know where they have come from.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #33
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A lot of the current cases are not traceable - meaning that we don't know where they have come from.
If there was a number of people who contracted the virus from the same place, (ie. How Depot) we would know it. My guess is that a number of the "non-traceable" cases likely know how they got it...dont want to admit it. But, that's just my gut feeling/opinion.

I just don't like jumping to conclusions that the REASON cases are on the rise are due to people not wearing masks (when there has been no indication of any large number of people contracting the virus from the same public place by not wearing a mask), an opinion I see shared by many.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #34
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I used to think it was just the right wing ďmuh freedumm!Ē Types but Iím starting to see the lefty hippies resisting as well. One girl I recently met fully believes the cheaply made disposable masks from China have residual toxins from the manufacturing process and everyone is literally holding them against your face. Also your body isnít getting enough oxygen as youíre constantly breathing in pockets of your own exhaled co2
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #35
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
If there was a number of people who contracted the virus from the same place, (ie. How Depot) we would know it. My guess is that a number of the "non-traceable" cases likely know how they got it...dont want to admit it. But, that's just my gut feeling/opinion.

I just don't like jumping to conclusions that the REASON cases are on the rise are due to people not wearing masks (when there has been no indication of any large number of people contracting the virus from the same public place by not wearing a mask), an opinion I see shared by many.
OK but even if there is a CHANCE that wearing a mask can help why not do it? I mean this isn't a monumental sacrifice that's being asked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #36
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
OK but even if there is a CHANCE that wearing a mask can help why not do it? I mean this isn't a monumental sacrifice that's being asked.
It's not about a sacrafice and in certain situations (ie. trains) its a no brainer. But I don't like the sense that masks will stop the virus dead (ie. I don't need to socially distance anymore because I have one). Back in April I saw a picture of a Calgary politician wearing a mask to pose for a picture, no social distancing. In that the current rules at the time were to stay 6 meters from everyone, I thought the mask was counter-productive to that idea.

I also doubt it will have much effect on the numbers at all, so I think its become more of a political issue more than anything. I hope I'm wrong obviously.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #37
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

There is some evidence that it helps. I don't think anyone has suggested the mask will stop the virus dead. It is a sensible step to take to help control the spread.
No one advocating for masks is saying it stops it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #38
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see masks the same as a vaccines. It really is dependent on herd to buy in to get that herd immunity. Is it full proof, probably not, but it is much better than doing nothing at all.

At the end of the day, it is asking the populous to help mitigate things as we kick the can down the road and draw closer to the vaccine. Better to be part of the solution than part of the problem.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #39
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There is some evidence that it helps. I don't think anyone has suggested the mask will stop the virus dead. It is a sensible step to take to help control the spread.
No one advocating for masks is saying it stops it.
Its not about what people are saying...it's what people are doing and will do. (ie my politician story)

I used to work in a lab. On the front of the door was a big yellow sign that said "AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY". the authorized personnel were me and one other person.

After an internal audit, it was decided to put another sign on the door, one that read " CAUTION: There may be water on the floor"

When I asked why we are putting up another sign for people who wouldn't be in the lab in the first place, the response was essentially that if people pass through the lab, the water poses a danger. In other words, the sign was for people who broke the first rule.

I'm concerned that the same thing is being appled here to be honest. The increase in numbers seems to be from friend and family gatherings. Yet with those rise in numbers, the automatic conclusion from some has been "make masks mandatory". If people are going to break the first rule (ie. social distancing) then they're not going to follow the mask rule either.

The question I keep coming back to is: Are people contracting the virus from public spaces even if they are socially distacing? " If the answer is "no", then Im not sure why there is a concern with it. I'm not arguing that masks dont work when people are close together (ie. a train), its more so places like malls and such. I doubt it will have any meaningful impact.

Look, I hope the cases drop as a result of mask usage. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by MacFlame; 07-22-2020 at 10:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #40
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am pro-mask. I don't understand the opposition towards this, overall. I get the points about exemptions and such. I think it is fair to tell people to wear masks. The economy is sacrosanct to most and we don't have a economy will allow for prolonged shutdowns. The masks put more work on the individual, but whatever. A lot of people have misdirected anger.

It is worth trying to see if it works. On the health piece, I was in a situation where I was in a mask for a prolonged period of time. I did experience some trouble breathing during a stressful situation. People were kind and I found a space where I could remove my mask and calm myself down. Most people will be compassionate if there are health concerns.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vena For This Useful Post: