Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I guess my only response is that you're lucky that you live in a place that has such a low rate where you can take that sort of risk. The rest of us aren't so lucky, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that not enough people are wearing masks and taking this seriously any longer.

I guess all I would say is that if a lot of people voluntarily wear masks in public, then it won't have to be mandated, so your concern over mandatory masks would go away.

Seriously, I don't get what the big deal is. It's an extra piece of clothing. Treat it like an accessory and jazz it up a little! Make it fun!

Complacency has been our doom in the U.S., so all I'm saying is to learn from it. Wear one until a vaccine is available (which may only be a few months longer) and/or you have confirmed antibodies. It's a tiny inconvenience that helps you and everyone else around you.

Don't let Canada become like us.
Iím not lucky at all. As I said before I have lived a preventative lifestyle that has enabled me to avoid contagious viruses and common colds. The mask may very well be a great thing for that masses that have lived their lives without taking precautions. That said I am not inconsiderate of others as if a business or facility requires that I wear a mask then I will do so. The reality is that the masses live their lives without even meeting basic hygiene level which has enabled the spread of contagious viruses. The solution is not wearing masks but changing lifestyles as the mask is simply a bandaid for poor hygiene. If they find a vaccine for this virus people will stop wearing the masks and itís only a matter of time until the masses slip back into their old habits making things ripe for another pandemic.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #42
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll echo what I wrote in the other thread regarding masks.

To me masks are like wearing a thin jacket on a cold -20 winter day. Obviously it would be ideal to have a nice thick warm jacket when it's cold outside.

But you might not always have that available. Sometimes you only have a thin jacket. Is it ideal or perfect? Of course not. But it's better then nothing.

If I have the choice of going outside in -20 with no jacket or a thin jacket, obviously you take the thin jacket and make due.

Wearing a mask isn't a 100% effective device. But it's better then nothing.

I was at a bbq last weekend where 5 of us were sitting on a friend's patio outdoors. We were all 3m apart, but had no masks. The sun was shining directly on us and I could literally see spit droplets flying out of people's mouths as they spoke. With the sun on us it was easy to see, similar to how you see dust flying around when sunlight is shining on it.

The topic of masks came up and I pointed out how easy it was to see people's spit flying around with us talking. Imagine NOT being 3m apart and having that land on you, your hands and then touching your face. Was easy to see how sickness spreads just based on how much spit I saw going around that night.

Myself I have a chipped tooth on my front teeth I haven't fixed, and there have been plenty of times I'm talking to someone and I embarrassingly see a little spit glob fly out of my mouth. For myself I know I have to wear a mask when I go to a public store or somewhere with people in close quarters, as I know I have a tendency to have spit flying out of my mouth because of that stupid chip.

I don't see what the big deal is about wearing one. People would be disgusted if there was a way to shine light on people's faces as they talk and to see how much droplets come out of people's faces. As human's were constantly secreting liquids from our bodies, mouth/nose included.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I’m not lucky at all. As I said before I have lived a preventative lifestyle that has enabled me to avoid contagious viruses and common colds. The mask may very well be a great thing for that masses that have lived their lives without taking precautions. That said I am not inconsiderate of others as if a business or facility requires that I wear a mask then I will do so. The reality is that the masses live their lives without even meeting basic hygiene level which has enabled the spread of contagious viruses. The solution is not wearing masks but changing lifestyles as the mask is simply a bandaid for poor hygiene. If they find a vaccine for this virus people will stop wearing the masks and it’s only a matter of time until the masses slip back into their old habits making things ripe for another pandemic.
Or maybe you're just not prone to colds/flues like some other people. It could be you don't get sick enough to miss more than a day of work because you're so awesome and everyone who gets sick has poor hygiene, but it could also be we all have different immune systems and different life circumstances with some being riskier than others for catching illnesses.

A sneeze is typically fairly involuntary, so it's like someone has poor hygiene because they sneezed. If I clear my throat and some spittle escapes my mouth, do I have poor hygiene? I friggen choked after swallowing down the wrong hole the other day and started coughing. Not drinking or anything, just swallowing my own saliva - do I have poor hygiene because of that? All people do all of those things, which is why if everyone wore a mask this illness would spread less. It's as basic as it gets.

But yeah, if we fall back into our old habits and make things ripe for another pandemic in 100 years, I'm totally fine with that. Being relatively complacent about this stuff for the first 43 years of my life and dining out, going to concerts, taking my kids to sports, dropping them off at school with their friends, etc. is awesome. I'd love to fall back into those old habits and I could do it a lot sooner if everyone wore a mask.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just look at mask wearing as another form of preventive measure. Even if it's not 100% effective, it still clearly helps as it prevents droplets from flying everywhere. And in the end, it's a pretty small request for people. I don't get why some people act like the government is robbing them of an essential freedom by encouraging everyone to wear one.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #45
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I just look at mask wearing as another form of preventive measure. Even if it's not 100% effective, it still clearly helps as it prevents droplets from flying everywhere. And in the end, it's a pretty small request for people. I don't get why some people act like the government is robbing them of an essential freedom by encouraging everyone to wear one.
If this is directed at me, the government encouraging me to wear one isn't a problem. The government making it illegal not to wear one is a problem.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #46
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I don't really follow people who say "there isn't enough data to say non-medical masks help" when we have all of Asia who use masks when not feeling well. That seems like plenty of data and evidence to me?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #47
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I don't really follow people who say "there isn't enough data to say non-medical masks help" when we have all of Asia who use masks when not feeling well. That seems like plenty of data and evidence to me?
Itís correlative not causative data. There are plenty of correlations you can find that are ridiculous and clearly donít have merit. So people will question whether it is other cultural behaviours or government interventions that have led to the reduction in cases.

Itís certainly reasonable to say that in an ideal world you wouldnít act until you have proper data showing causation. However in a pandemic scenario with limited information you need to consider consequence of acting or not acting without perfect data. In this case it pushes toward mask wearing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #48
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I suspect for most its just a socially acceptable cover story to hide their real reason. Take your pick/combo of reasons like: selfish, lazy, inconsiderate, can't afford it, interferes with my golf game, impedes my freedom to show how much I mouth breathe...etc.

Some people also never outgrew the high school mentality of coolness, as eloquently described by Bill Burr - "It's FawKin' ROLLA BLADES All OvEr AgAiN!!"
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #49
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
If this is directed at me, the government encouraging me to wear one isn't a problem. The government making it illegal not to wear one is a problem.
Sorry, no, that wasn't to you. That was in response to the Americans I see in the States who purposely don't wear one as some sort of message to stick it to the government.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #50
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Government's aren't generally making it illegal not to wear one. They are making it illegal not to go into certain establishments without one.

Any attempt to control this disease is going to require government restrictions on freedom. If you tell everyone just to do what they think is right, it will likely spread out of control.
nfotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #51
BurningYears
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
####ing Bull####

I should be free to pee on whoever I want.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m tired of the government controlling my freedom to pee on strangers freely.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #54
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched an interview with Fachi who said masks arenít really necessary in the States. Iím inferring that also applies to Canada. Iíll trust the scientists.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I watched an interview with Fachi who said masks aren’t really necessary in the States. I’m inferring that also applies to Canada. I’ll trust the scientists who support my claim while ignoring those that don't.
Fixed it for you.

Wait. I assumed you meant Fauci. He said this today: ""Everybody should wear a mask when out public,"
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #56
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw a video yesterday that said the opposite.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #57
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Saw a video yesterday that said the opposite.
Post it?

The only thing I can find is that early on they didn't recommend it strongly as they were afraid of hoarding and taking it out of professions that truly needed it.

In any case, glad you're listening to Fauci. Sounds like you'll be wearing a mask in public and telling others to do so.

https://abc7news.com/society/coronav...-says/6264866/

https://www.afr.com/world/north-amer...0200624-p555tf

"Plan A, don't go in a crowd. Plan B, if you do, make sure you wear a mask," Dr Fauci said.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #58
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fauci admitted yesterday they discouraged mask wearing early to ensure hospitals had enough.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #59
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I wear a mask mostly because I got a bunch for free and one of my biggest customers requires them on site. They’re a little annoying but no worse than pants.

I have a friend who keeps putting dumb anti-mask stuff on his Insta stories. I didn’t know he was into conspiracy stuff. That bums me out.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #60
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

I have a friend who keeps putting dumb anti-mask stuff on his Insta stories. I didnít know he was into conspiracy stuff. That bums me out.
Don't let it bum you out.

Be happy they are identifying themselves, it makes it easier to end the friendship, I mean who wants to be friends with a raving idiot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: