Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #41
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
This has got to excite the NBA players to go to Orlando to play (or anyone thinking about flying):

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo..._content=wkmg6
At least airport staff will have herd immunity soon.

Not even sure if I should use green text or not.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #42
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This has got to excite the NBA players to go to Orlando to play (or anyone thinking about flying):

I, and likely everyone else with a WJ account, received an email today from WestJet informing me they added $50 to my WestJet dollars for any flights booked by June 22nd. They also let me know they are doubling the amount of flights in July compared to June. I understand I'm a bit of a hermit, and I know WJ is hurting for business, but it seems crazy to me to fly right now. Maybe people are booking flights for much later in the year and hoping they will get to use them, but I'd prefer to book when I know there is a good chance the flight will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion
Sorry if this is a stupid thread
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #43
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Turns out this was wrong by Florida governor.

They tested 500 people recently- 2 were positive.

260 people total have test positive from the airport since March - 132 employees and 128 non-employees.

So... resume flying.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #44
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Yeah I found that odd though. The official government website (which they list as a source) and local media is still talking about total deaths being around 9900. The second source they list has shown this tremendous surge.

India is approaching death numbers differently though, similar to most countries, and the true death toll is not being captured yet. Eventually there might be a data catch-up, and this might be it as well.
India also has a population of 1.3 billion people. A surge upwards of 1500 could be accurate. It would be the equivalent of a 300-400 person surge in the USA, which we've seen multiple times.

2000 deaths in India is also equivalent to about 50 deaths in Canada per capita.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #45
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So why don't you wear a mask when you are out? You said you deal with patients all day, so you are at higher risk than most, then you go out in public without one? Seems selfish, no? Particularity since you are aware of proper masking procedures.
Well it's right in the public health order that masks are recommended when proper social distancing cannot take place.

I can't comment on everyone's experiences but every single place I've been it has been very easy to keep social distance. Logically that likely makes cloth masks more of a transmission vector assuming they decrease person to person transmission but may increase contact transmission.

Have you seen how many people fondle it and then touch produce at the grocery store? Or the guy that pulled his mask down, licked his finger to unstick a plastic produce bag. Mask hygiene is hilariously poor in the general population.

And like I said, at work we are mandated as we cannot maintain social distance with patients. But again, due to PPE shortages one surgical mask is used for an entire day and I suspect it increases contact contamination risk despite high standard cleaning practices. But then again, I am no risk and have cut close contact with anyone above the age of 60. And I believe the most important restriction is isolation and testing with any symptoms which we are strictly enforcing.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #46
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The way I read that sentence is that there was a statistically significant difference between cloth and medical masks but not a statistically significant differences (just a significant difference) between cloth and control group.

Am I misreading that?
Yes but as opendoor pointed out, the cause of the differences between cloth and surgical are unclear. It could suggest that cloth masks don't provide sufficient protection or that surgical masks provide superior sufficient but their strange control doesn't paint a clear picture.

I'll try to find the other study that had a proper no mask control group.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #47
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
India also has a population of 1.3 billion people. A surge upwards of 1500 could be accurate. It would be the equivalent of a 300-400 person surge in the USA, which we've seen multiple times.

2000 deaths in India is also equivalent to about 50 deaths in Canada per capita.
Oh most definitely, but most of their cases/deaths are coming from just a few states and the capital.

I know of people having to jump hoops to get tested just because of the sheer number of cases. Their actual numbers are going to be much much higher.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #48
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
This is a direct quote from the study:

So the control group used masks when they normally would (presumably based on the risk/exposure level of the various situations they encountered) and used a combination of medical and cloth masks depending on the situation. It's not surprising that they fared better than the group that wore inferior cloth masks the entire time. That doesn't mean cloth masks don't provide a benefit, just that they're not as effective as medical masks and aren't sufficient for health care workers to use, particularly in high-risk situations.
You realize that I can just as easily conclude the opposite from the same data?

The onus of proof is on the believer.

Again, a small % still didn't wear masks. Ethics boards have requirements and the fact that you're concluding something from that is asinine. For years ethics boards required knee scope studies to perform surgery on the control group but the latest research shows that the surgery purported to be unethical to avoid is no better than sham/placebo surgery or conservative care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I never attributed anything to mask wearing in New York. You just asked how the infection rate was doing and I responded that it was down 90% in the last 6 weeks. Based on your question, I got the impression that you thought New York was an example of how masks don't reduce transmission, but I don't see any evidence of that. Can you come up with any jurisdictions with widespread mask usage that have seen the type of spread that's been seen in Europe and North America? I can't think of any.

Obviously other measures reduce spread as well; that is abundantly clear. With enough isolation and social distancing you can pretty much eradicate Covid without wearing masks. But masks are about the only thing that seems to dramatically reduce R0 without seriously compromising other aspects of society.
Your entire first post implied that the only reason certain countries fared well was mask use

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 06-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #49
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people are studying their aunt Jemima pancake mix for reasons to be offended, then I don't know what to say any more.

But I supoose its a good initiative to take.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #50
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If people are studying their aunt Jemima pancake mix for reasons to be offended, then I don't know what to say any more.

Are they claiming it cures Covid?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #51
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

This is probably not the thread to get into it, BUT the company has profited from racist marketing for years, I think this is the least they can do.

I can't say I ever recognized it for what it was — until a week ago I don't think I had even heard the term "Mammy". But that's kind of the point, isn't it? That you and I get to be oblivious to racist syrup and pancake mix is the very definition of white privilege.

https://blackexcellence.com/aunt-jemima-never-pancakes/

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-17-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Well it's right in the public health order that masks are recommended when proper social distancing cannot take place.

I can't comment on everyone's experiences but every single place I've been it has been very easy to keep social distance. Logically that likely makes cloth masks more of a transmission vector assuming they decrease person to person transmission but may increase contact transmission.

Have you seen how many people fondle it and then touch produce at the grocery store? Or the guy that pulled his mask down, licked his finger to unstick a plastic produce bag. Mask hygiene is hilariously poor in the general population.

And like I said, at work we are mandated as we cannot maintain social distance with patients. But again, due to PPE shortages one surgical mask is used for an entire day and I suspect it increases contact contamination risk despite high standard cleaning practices. But then again, I am no risk and have cut close contact with anyone above the age of 60. And I believe the most important restriction is isolation and testing with any symptoms which we are strictly enforcing.
I dunno, I was just at Rona this morning, and it's pretty easy to come around a corner and find someone right in your face. I think I was the only one in there wearing a mask.

But yes, a lot of people have no clue what they are doing. I'm not sure how that makes you, someone who knows what he is doing, safer not wearing as mask while out, and not potentially spreading in the period while you may have an unknown infection. Because you are around people all day, I'd assume you are at a higher risk of contact than those of us who work at home, and only go out when necessary.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #53
3thirty
First Line Centre

Exp:

48 new cases, but over 7,000 tests were done yesterday

Calgary Zone Active Cases: 224
Edmonton Zone Active Cases: 201

Last edited by 3thirty; 06-17-2020 at 05:02 PM.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #54
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wear a mask in public or you are a selfish dick. Just do it. The evidence is there and it is more than circumstantial.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #55
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Wear a mask in public or you are a selfish dick. Just do it. The evidence is there and it is more than circumstantial.

What about washing your hands? Are we off that agenda item now?
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #56
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a couple department stores today I had a number of people not wearing masks just walk up beside me to check out a product next to what I was looking at. And wasn't like a "scuse my reach" and then step back again respectfully, but gluing themselves right there shoulder to shoulder, paying no mind.

What is the point of spacing out in line ups if you're going to go and do that.

It's okay to not take the situation we're in seriously, can't tell anybody what to think, but man that's just completely absent minded.

Generally feels like we're getting sloppier by the day as the pandemic fades out of the headlines. Distancing is a sort of fad that is passing to some.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-17-2020 at 08:48 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What about washing your hands? Are we off that agenda item now?
I find it difficult to wash my hands in public.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Why does every moron in BC think their province is some safe haven from Covid? It’s super weird and they’re all aggressive about it and want to remind everyone at all times that there’s no Covid in this province.

BTW highway 97 is at peak summer levels right now. And it’s all BC plates. Good call ya morons.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #59
stazzy33
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I was in Home Depot yesterday and did see a big improvement in usage, it was in the 60% range, same with Canadian Tire. I think a lot if people want to wear them, it’s been the hassle and expense of acquiring them.

Of course there is a childish cohort of people(across all ages) that just want to push back to show they are in charge, that is a minority though.
They are available for free at any McDonald's, A&W, or Tim Horton's. Hassle or expense should be no excuse now.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:48 AM   #60
RichieRich
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/to-b-c-or...mmer-1.4989029

CoVID situation certainly reducing quickly in AB and perhaps the relaxation in BC is a bit slower despite them being about 1/3 of AB. Not really understanding why the widespread differences between provinces?

So in need of both family visit to aging parents and for potential job interviews in BC (Kelowna & Lower Mainland)... so with that in mind we are headed there end of June after being mostly isolated now for months. Staying w/ the 'rents and in an AirBnB. Only expanding our double-bubble recently to those that we believe to also be healthy and reasonable. Are we asking for trouble? (whatever that looks like). Or should I be posting a self-confession in the morons of the pandemic thread?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote