Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #901
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I haven’t had the noise issue, but I’ve had it hard (HARD) crash while playing Spidey Remastered.

The Series X is having its own problems as well though. There’s a glitch impacting “designed for Xbox” headsets which use the Xbox wireless signal that cause massive audio stuttering when there’s no active input on the controller (particularly bad in a few games like Gears 5 and Gears Tactics). I’ve also had the console turn itself back on after I power it off, and all accessories then refuse to sync (this may be related to the headset issue - as others are reporting it with the Arctis 9X).

Most of the issues though seem to be system software related on both consoles though, which is good to see rather than outright hardware problems.

I ordered an Audeze Penrose X this morning as an upgrade on the Arctis 9X. I’m just losing faith in the native Xbox wireless signal for audio connectivity - as even with the One X you’d get some signal interference/pops/drops from time to time. The Penrose uses its own dongle, which will hopefully be more stable. Comparing the Arctis 9X on the Series X to the 2020 release of the normal Arctis 9 on my PS5, the PS5 experience is flawless - I’m quite pleased with the 9 on my PS5.

SuperMatt - definitely give Tsushima a go. The upgrade it got is fantastic. I’ll also say Day’s Gone got an update that is very impressive as well.
I went with the Steelseries 7X as it supposedly works on both Series X and PS5 wirelessly.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #902
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1330217854340386823
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #903
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man the one-two of Astro and Sackboy at launch is dynamite for a platformer fan. Both are fantastic.

If you have kids into games at all, Sackboy is a MUST. Full seamless co-op, just the right amount of challenge for non-gamers, lots of fun costumes and such. And great visuals and music. I was quite surprised when an entire level was synced up to “Uptown Funk”.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #904
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Man the one-two of Astro and Sackboy at launch is dynamite for a platformer fan. Both are fantastic.

If you have kids into games at all, Sackboy is a MUST. Full seamless co-op, just the right amount of challenge for non-gamers, lots of fun costumes and such. And great visuals and music. I was quite surprised when an entire level was synced up to “Uptown Funk”.
Can't justify the $80 price tag after spending $600 on the console and the games I already bought, but that's a prime target for a future sale
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #905
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I’m hoping for some sales on CoD:Cold War, Sackboy, and Demon Souls at the holiday sale around Christmas
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #906
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Forget ray tracing, 60fps, controllers, etc, the biggest reason to get a PS5 is for load times (or lack thereof). I was impressed with how fast Spider-Man started up in-game from a dead stop, but I was blown away the first time I tried fast travel. I went into the map, chose a fast travel spot and went to pickup my phone out of habit. Before I could even unlock it I was already playing again, there was zero downtime. We haven't had seemless gameplay like this since the end of the cartridge era, the death of the load screen will be seen as the greatest achievement of this generation of consoles IMO. After playing Spider-Man for so long, going back to a PS4 game that wasn't optimized for the new SSD was jarring. I would end up buying remasters of my favorite PS4 titles just to have the fast load feature, regardless of any graphical improvement
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #907
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I haven’t had the noise issue, but I’ve had it hard (HARD) crash while playing Spidey Remastered.

The Series X is having its own problems as well though. There’s a glitch impacting “designed for Xbox” headsets which use the Xbox wireless signal that cause massive audio stuttering when there’s no active input on the controller (particularly bad in a few games like Gears 5 and Gears Tactics). I’ve also had the console turn itself back on after I power it off, and all accessories then refuse to sync (this may be related to the headset issue - as others are reporting it with the Arctis 9X).

Most of the issues though seem to be system software related on both consoles though, which is good to see rather than outright hardware problems.

I ordered an Audeze Penrose X this morning as an upgrade on the Arctis 9X. I’m just losing faith in the native Xbox wireless signal for audio connectivity - as even with the One X you’d get some signal interference/pops/drops from time to time. The Penrose uses its own dongle, which will hopefully be more stable. Comparing the Arctis 9X on the Series X to the 2020 release of the normal Arctis 9 on my PS5, the PS5 experience is flawless - I’m quite pleased with the 9 on my PS5.

SuperMatt - definitely give Tsushima a go. The upgrade it got is fantastic. I’ll also say Day’s Gone got an update that is very impressive as well.

The Arctis 9x headset has had massive connectivity issues even with the last gen. My friend has one and it is the worst $200+ headset you can buy. But apparently when it works its great.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #908
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Forget ray tracing, 60fps, controllers, etc, the biggest reason to get a PS5 is for load times (or lack thereof). I was impressed with how fast Spider-Man started up in-game from a dead stop, but I was blown away the first time I tried fast travel. I went into the map, chose a fast travel spot and went to pickup my phone out of habit. Before I could even unlock it I was already playing again, there was zero downtime. We haven't had seemless gameplay like this since the end of the cartridge era, the death of the load screen will be seen as the greatest achievement of this generation of consoles IMO. After playing Spider-Man for so long, going back to a PS4 game that wasn't optimized for the new SSD was jarring. I would end up buying remasters of my favorite PS4 titles just to have the fast load feature, regardless of any graphical improvement
Not just the PS5, the XSX has very fast load times as well. Pair that with quick resume and you are playing in seconds.

So far games on both consoles only load 1-3 seconds faster on the PS5 than the XSX which is interesting considering the PS5 is twice the speed of the XSX. I also assume that developers are still learning to get everything they can out of the SSD architectures on both consoles, so we should see more improvement over the consoles lifetime.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-23-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #909
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I had some HDR issues but then it was just because I'm dumb and didn't know the HDMI-5 port on my TV doesn't support HDR.

The disc drive is louder than anything else so far.
HDMI 1 on my TV is ARC HDMI 2 says BEST which would you assume is for HDR? If you said BEST you are the WORST, lol.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #910
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If the load times weren't as fast as they are I would have quit Demon Souls long ago. Dying is a punishment anymore its a quick restart.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #911
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is a slow motion train wreck:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/did...inside.330962/
Old 11-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #912
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Not just the PS5, the XSX has very fast load times as well. Pair that with quick resume and you are playing in seconds.

So far games on both consoles only load 1-3 seconds faster on the PS5 than the XSX which is interesting considering the PS5 is twice the speed of the XSX. I also assume that developers are still learning to get everything the can out of the SSD architectures on both consoles, so we should see more improvement over the consoles lifetime.

I’ve been extremely impressed by quick resume. I’m also surprised that it works even after a full shutdown. After fully shutting down and starting up again, I fired Gears Tactics back up and behold, there it was right where I left off.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #913
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Well this is a slow motion train wreck:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/did...inside.330962/
what page should I start at??
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #914
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the kids are getting a series X for Christmas (thanks to EuKnoLikeMonny). It has been quite some time since I have dug into xbox games, what is recommended for a 7 year old and a 10 year old? What are you guys enjoying that the kids would like too?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #915
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
what page should I start at??
I have no idea. It's sad tbh.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1330869879063404549
Old 11-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #916
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
The Arctis 9x headset has had massive connectivity issues even with the last gen. My friend has one and it is the worst $200+ headset you can buy. But apparently when it works its great.
Yes, when it works it's great. I have one and it's been pretty decent. There are some pops here and there, I don't know why, but it's been decent with the XBox One X and so far with the Series X.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #917
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
So the kids are getting a series X for Christmas (thanks to EuKnoLikeMonny). It has been quite some time since I have dug into xbox games, what is recommended for a 7 year old and a 10 year old? What are you guys enjoying that the kids would like too?
Have a look at these links. They've got a lot listed that I'd agree with - especially the platform games listed by "Lifewire"

https://www.lifewire.com/best-xbox-o...-games-4047777
https://www.fatherly.com/gear/the-be...s-and-parents/
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #918
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
If you've never played Rayman Legends on the One/PS4, definitely grab it now. One of the best side scrollers ever made, seemless 4-player co-op, and the difficulty is just right. My 3-year old struggles with the Mario games, but she can play a lot of the levels in Legends without getting frustrated
Old 11-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #919
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any tips/websites I should be following trying to snipe a PS5 disc edition? I am just randomly checking about 6-8 times a day with no luck.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #920
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Any tips/websites I should be following trying to snipe a PS5 disc edition? I am just randomly checking about 6-8 times a day with no luck.
Setup distill.io to watch sites for changes. It’s about 5 mins faster than nowinstock. However PS5 is pretty hot right now. There are probably bots that are faster than distill.io getting the PS5.

I’ve been trying to get an Xbox series x for the father in law but have been too slow to checkout after getting the distill notifications. And I missed the couple of posts here saying they were in stock.

I’m resigned to just waiting until after Christmas now.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post: