Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #21
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just hoping to get back to normal (as much as possible).
I've used this time like a long new years, so I have had some mental reset on goals and work strategies but don't plan on anything major to change.
Just re charging the battery and eager to hit the ground running.

I think there's uncertainly about the Fall and any potential 2nd waves as well, so I'm going to do as much business as possible in the next 3-4 months with the understanding that this could happen again.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #22
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Being couped up and basically forced to reflect I realized that I have been in Calgary for almost 7 years and don't really have any friends here.

Sure I have acquaintances but not friends where I can call up and say "lets go have some beers and chat." For the last 6 years I was with a company and I thought all of the people in that company were my friends. I thought that because that is what they said and preached. ("We get to do cool stuff as friends. We are a "family"") We had a falling out in November. Turns out people claiming they were my" friends/"family" where only looking after their own benefits not their "family members". Since the falling out I haven't heard from a single person that I spent 6 years building things with. I wish I would have focused more on connecting with people outside of my employer for 6 years instead of buying in to their mantra.
Sounds simplistic, but go to a church. I know of one in Calgary that is pretty multicultural, but has a definite US-base to it. I can honestly say that I have never met a nicer or more authentic group of people then at that church.

Or find a hobby group or project that you have some interest in and volunteer. At some point, I'd imagine that you'd at least meet one or two people through that type of group that you would become friends with through the shared interests.

But, yeah, you can't believe anything a company tells you, unless you personally own, run, and manage the company. I got laid-off a few months ago, and only a few of my many coworkers still stay in touch and I suspect that will eventually dwindle to one or two people over time.

It is sorta sad, but also expected---people spend so much time at work that it is easy to think of your co-workers as friends, but for the most part, they are just acquaintances. And as time goes on, one's friends come and go as everyone's life goes through their own changes and moves. I bet most men are lucky to have one friend for longer than 5 years.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #23
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shave my pubes.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Shave my pubes.
https://ca.manscaped.com/
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post

Is that safe to click? I'm not on my own computer.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #26
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Is that safe to click? I'm not on my own computer.
Hahah yes it is, it's a razor company
Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I see they measure in "strokes per minute". And no way am I putting something called "the Lawn Mower" down there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #28
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, I see they measure in "strokes per minute". And no way am I putting something called "the Lawn Mower" down there.
I'll let you know, mine gets delivered next week
Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #29
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I intend to return to work with fresh, re energized hatred for my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion
Sorry if this is a stupid thread
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #30
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shave my pubes.
If I was single, I would be ready to smash when this thing ends. Smash and smash and smash.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #31
DoubleF
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

It is sorta sad, but also expected---people spend so much time at work that it is easy to think of your co-workers as friends, but for the most part, they are just acquaintances. And as time goes on, one's friends come and go as everyone's life goes through their own changes and moves. I bet most men are lucky to have one friend for longer than 5 years.
I conceptually called this, "Friends based on convenience" even before the pandemic. Many "friendships" are like this. You move or change jobs a few minutes away and certain people you go from seeing a bunch to never seeing them or even chatting because it's no longer convenient now that you're so far from their orbit.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 12:51 AM   #32
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

But, yeah, you can't believe anything a company tells you, unless you personally own, run, and manage the company. I got laid-off a few months ago, and only a few of my many coworkers still stay in touch and I suspect that will eventually dwindle to one or two people over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I conceptually called this, "Friends based on convenience" even before the pandemic. Many "friendships" are like this. You move or change jobs a few minutes away and certain people you go from seeing a bunch to never seeing them or even chatting because it's no longer convenient now that you're so far from their orbit.
Yeah I thought this was different. The owners preached it and I foolishly bought it hook, line, and sinker. Now that I'm out and I'm hearing from other ex-employees and even customers about their dealings I am glad I'm gone. A hard time to try start a new venture or find another gig though.

I see why the owners wanted me to believe this but I was really affected by my "friends"/co-workers just bailing. It was an ugly & shady split so it is understandable that they are concerned about their job so I guess I get it.

Last edited by nickerjones; 05-08-2020 at 01:42 AM.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't made any. Post quarantine is as arbitrary a delineation as any other one.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #34
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Haven't made any. Post quarantine is as arbitrary a delineation as any other one.
If a person uses any moment as a starting point for changes or new habits, that moment is no longer arbitrary to them.

An arbitrary time is a great time to start something.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
If a person uses any moment as a starting point for changes or new habits, that moment is no longer arbitrary to them.

An arbitrary time is a great time to start something.
The other thing that could make it easier as opposed to New Years is you have had a significant disruption in your typical habits. So implementing new habits should be easier.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #36
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working from home has been great for me. I wake up early, work out for an hour, have been able to control my eating and portions and accomplish projects around the house. I'm down 16 lbs since the beginning of my quarantine and my lawn looks great.

I hope I can stay motivated and continue the good habits when we all eventually go back to the rat race.
CroFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #37
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Touch as many faces as possible.

With ample saliva exchange.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote