Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2020, 01:00 AM   #1
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Your Post Quarantine Resolutions?

After watching consistent news stories of thousands dying each day and reading posts of CPers losing their parents to Covid-19, it really had me reflecting on my own life.

This past couple of weeks, I found myself calling my parents, more than I have the previous year combined. I donít know what held me back before, but everytime I called, not once had I ever encountered an unwelcoming tone. We both appreciated the phone call and conversation

Knowing that life can suddenly end at any moment had me look at my own mortality and life goals. Thereís so many things I have yet to do and so many places yet to travel to.

Weekends Iíve wasted. Sunny warm days which I squandered because I would rather be comfortable with the TV series or video game I was addicted to.

Going forward, when all of these restrictions are lifted, I have a resolution in life where I should speak to my parents more often. As well, trying to live life to itís fullest and go outdoors more often. Finally redeeming those aeroplan points Iíve been saving

So what are some of your resolutions?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I too, have decided to call your parents more often.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
WinnipegFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Interesting thread, so far I would say I have changed my perspective on staying home. I never liked it, but now I have learned to appreciate it. Also, the amount we ate out, this will be significantly reduced moving forward. We all feel better and healthier eating home cooked meals. We haven't had any take out in 8 weeks and it is more work but the benefits are huge.

Also, I spend way more time with my toddler, and that was at first a headache, but now I am switching to appreciating this time. We have a new baby coming in less than 25 days (scheduled c-section so I know the date) and I will be so thankful for the extra time with her that I didn't have with my son. So to maximize the appreciation of that time would be my new goal.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hookers and blow.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hookers and blow.
More or less?

Be specific.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
More or less?

Be specific.
Some
Old 05-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm assuming he's installing hooks in the garage and buying a leaf blower.

Seems like a cp thing to do...
Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I have any major changes. Prior to Covid19, I still saw or talked to my parents 3-4 times a week, and I never thought sitting at home on a weekend playing video games is a waste of time, because I derive a lot of enjoyment out of it, as much as other people who go travelling, hiking, etc. And I've always made sure to stick to my exercise routine where I do at least an hour of exercise 5-6 days a week.

So for me, I guess the real change would be being more conscious of social distancing, and maybe ordering in more and less going out for dinner. Other than that, life goes as normal for me, pre or post Covid19.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I'm assuming he's installing hooks in the garage and buying a leaf blower.

Seems like a cp thing to do...
Been there. Done that.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a resolution, but the first thing I plan to do is pet as many dogs as possible. I miss being able to meet a friendly dog.

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Not a resolution, but the first thing I plan to do is pet as many dogs as possible. I miss being able to meet a friendly dog.
Me, too, except Iíll add more hugging people.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Go on more holidays
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are rumours of a pandemic coming and I need a haircut, make sure to get that haircut before everything shuts down.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #14
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dealt with losing a loved one and experiencing my own mortality at a young age (23) due to a car wreck. This pandemic seems way harder. I'm not sure if it's because I'm older or maybe because I live 1500 miles away from the friends I had then and family now.

I have a wife and 3 year old but it's not the same as the support and camaraderie I had back home. Being couped up and basically forced to reflect I realized that I have been in Calgary for almost 7 years and don't really have any friends here.

Sure I have acquaintances but not friends where I can call up and say "lets go have some beers and chat." For the last 6 years I was with a company and I thought all of the people in that company were my friends. I thought that because that is what they said and preached. ("We get to do cool stuff as friends. We are a "family"") We had a falling out in November. Turns out people claiming they were my" friends/"family" where only looking after their own benefits not their "family members". Since the falling out I haven't heard from a single person that I spent 6 years building things with. I wish I would have focused more on connecting with people outside of my employer for 6 years instead of buying in to their mantra.

So basically my post-quarantine goal is to find friends in Calgary.

Anyone wanna be friends? I like hockey, an occasional adult soda, a lot of actual soda, and ancient Rome. I'm an American but I've assimilated pretty well into Canadian culture. I'm not nearly as arrogant as I used to be and I say please, thank you, and sorry a lot.

Last edited by nickerjones; 05-06-2020 at 05:39 PM.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #15
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably try and have a threesome or two.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
If there are rumours of a pandemic coming and I need a haircut, make sure to get that haircut before everything shuts down.
Yes! Back in early March, I needed to get my hair coloured, but it was snowing that day. I figured I'd just wait a couple weeks until I was on vacation. I regret that decision.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #17
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I too, have decided to call your parents more often.
NSFW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #18
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I dealt with losing a loved one and experiencing my own mortality at a young age (23) due to a car wreck. This pandemic seems way harder. I'm not sure if it's because I'm older or maybe because I live 1500 miles away from the friends I had then and family now.

I have a wife and 3 year old but it's not the same as the support and camaraderie I had back home. Being couped up and basically forced to reflect I realized that I have been in Calgary for almost 7 years and don't really have any friends here.

Sure I have acquaintances but not friends where I can call up and say "lets go have some beers and chat." For the last 6 years I was with a company and I thought all of the people in that company were my friends. I thought that because that is what they said and preached. ("We get to do cool stuff as friends. We are a "family"") We had a falling out in November. Turns out people claiming they were my" friends/"family" where only looking after their own benefits not their "family members". Since the falling out I haven't heard from a single person that I spent 6 years building things with. I wish I would have focused more on connecting with people outside of my employer for 6 years instead of buying in to their mantra.

So basically my post-quarantine goal is to find friends in Calgary.

Anyone wanna be friends? I like hockey, an occasional adult soda, a lot of actual soda, and ancient Rome. I'm an American but I've assimilated pretty well into Canadian culture. I'm not nearly as arrogant as I used to be and I say please, thank you, and sorry a lot.
Good luck!!

I mean that sincerely, it's incredibly difficult for an adult male to make friends outside of work. I would offer advice but I'm pretty much in the same boat so let me know how it goes.
I believe.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #19
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I don't think I have any major changes. Prior to Covid19, I still saw or talked to my parents 3-4 times a week, and I never thought sitting at home on a weekend playing video games is a waste of time, because I derive a lot of enjoyment out of it, as much as other people who go travelling, hiking, etc. And I've always made sure to stick to my exercise routine where I do at least an hour of exercise 5-6 days a week.

So for me, I guess the real change would be being more conscious of social distancing, and maybe ordering in more and less going out for dinner. Other than that, life goes as normal for me, pre or post Covid19.
Sounds like youíve got a good balance in your life. Though, video games for me have usually felt like eating junk food. Instant gratification but feeling lethargic with an immediate regret afterwards.

To each their own I guess
Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #20
DoubleF
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I are definitely going to go back to old habits and then some, but appreciate the fact that we are doing these things more than just something mundane to change things up every week or two.

Actual quarantine things we are doing that we didn't do before and might retain? Baking. My wife and I have been experimenting with different variations of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with Nutella. I'm loving the current variation with two chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with a Nutella layer gluing the two together. I made cheesecake in a rice cooker and I want to try Castella cake next.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote