Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #41
CrunchBite
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Yes, please do. Is it better or worse than 50 years ago? 20 years ago?

Looking into the numbers myself, we seem to be living in the most prosperous era, with lower poverty rates than ever. Or are we not?

Many would argue we have a millenial minded individual running the country over the past 5 years. Has it helped?

I dont know either and am looking for answers too.

You Gen-Xers keep him, Millenials get enough of a bad rap already.
CrunchBite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #42
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's probably a pipe dream but hopefully more people will be aware of time and time commitments and follow them a little more closely. It's one of my gear grinders - people who are chronically late for everything. With the increasing number of businesses doing curbside pickup (with pre-booked time), health facilities limiting number of people in being treated at a time etc. being on time is crucial for everything to run smoothly. I hope people get the message but I'm probably being naive.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #43
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It's probably a pipe dream but hopefully more people will be aware of time and time commitments and follow them a little more closely. It's one of my gear grinders - people who are chronically late for everything. With the increasing number of businesses doing curbside pickup (with pre-booked time), health facilities limiting number of people in being treated at a time etc. being on time is crucial for everything to run smoothly. I hope people get the message but I'm probably being naive.
The problem is people just accept people being late. Oh you're for your reservation? Thats fine even though we have a policy.

I've fired vendors for not making a meeting on time without giving a heads up (no 2 minutes before the meeting saying you will be 10 minutes late doesn't count).
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #44
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Yes, please do. Is it better or worse than 50 years ago? 20 years ago?

Looking into the numbers myself, we seem to be living in the most prosperous era, with lower poverty rates than ever. Or are we not?

Many would argue we have a millenial minded individual running the country over the past 5 years. Has it helped?

I dont know either and am looking for answers too.
The poorest today have more than the richest 200 years ago. There were no furnaces, winter boots, buses, healthcare a proper education or clean drinking water.

On top of all this we have the second worst prime minister in our history after his dad.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #45
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

If more people just washed their hands more and didn't come in to work with "just the sniffles," I would call it a huge win.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #46
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

On top of all this we have the second worst prime minister in our history after his dad.

Worse than Sir John Abbott? Come on sir!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #47
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
You Gen-Xers keep him, Millenials get enough of a bad rap already.
Millennials >>> Gen Z.

The elders will see.

And yes he is 100% a Gen X.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #48
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone interested in the new normal would do well to read this bipartisan report from the Public Policy Forum.

https://ppforum.ca/publications/a-new-north-star/
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #49
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
It'll be interesting to see how gyms adapt to post Covid19. With the capacity limits in place, does it mean people have to book timeslots at the gym? I guess one good thing is it hopefully eliminates those annoying guys at the gym socializing on their cell phones and dawdling around. People will now probably have to go in, get their workout done in their blocked time slot, and then get out as the gym cycles through the people going in and out.
In the week between initial gathering restrictions (< 25 people) and the Stay At Home order that shut them down here it was actually a pretty good experience. No time slots, but they limited it to 20 people in at a time and limited workout times to 1 hour. They also had blocked off every other cardio machine to enforce some extra space. Everyone was wiping their stuff down before and after using it too. Hopefully that will continue when they re-open (since so many people did not do this before hand)
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #50
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
In the week between initial gathering restrictions (< 25 people) and the Stay At Home order that shut them down here it was actually a pretty good experience. No time slots, but they limited it to 20 people in at a time and limited workout times to 1 hour. They also had blocked off every other cardio machine to enforce some extra space. Everyone was wiping their stuff down before and after using it too. Hopefully that will continue when they re-open (since so many people did not do this before hand)
45 - 50 minutes might be better to schedule which would allow for a 15 minute cleaning between blocks. They would also want to find a way to keep outgoing people from mixing with incoming people in common areas (locker room etc.) to keep overall numbers at a manageable level. But it certainly seems workable.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

New normal: we see a lot more inner Canadian tourism, and an increase in Canadian money spent in Canada from those who would normally spend it in the states. For multiple reasons.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
New normal: we see a lot more inner Canadian tourism, and an increase in Canadian money spent in Canada from those who would normally spend it in the states. For multiple reasons.
Do you think this will extend beyond tourism? US sourced entertainment is likely at an all time high for demand and Amazon is quickly taking over everything.

No doubt fewer Canadians will try and escape the weather this next year and many of the typical tourist attractions wonít be readily available but I just wonder how long it will last. Itís in many peopleís nature to travel.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #53
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I saw my company's new proposed work from home policy that just went to the leadership team for debate. They're going bold with presumed consent to WFH either full or part time for almost all office based roles.

Nothing final but really hoping that sticks!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #54
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I saw my company's new proposed work from home policy that just went to the leadership team for debate. They're going bold with presumed consent to WFH either full or part time for almost all office based roles.

Nothing final but really hoping that sticks!
My workplace has put yellow tape around everyone's desk. We will all be Les Nessman.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #55
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I would totally travel within Canada if the airlines and airport authorities made it cheaper to fly within Canada.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #56
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I would totally travel within Canada if the airlines and airport authorities made it cheaper to fly within Canada.
Fair point. So far every time I've considered going to the maritimes I've ended up going to Europe instead because the flights were cheaper.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #57
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Fair point. So far every time I've considered going to the maritimes I've ended up going to Europe instead because the flights were cheaper.

This has gotten somewhat better I've found. Up until recent years when I considered flying to Calgary it would have been cheaper to drive to Detroit and flying from there instead of from Toronto. That wasn't the case in recent years.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #58
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No doubt fewer Canadians will try and escape the weather this next year and many of the typical tourist attractions wonít be readily available but I just wonder how long it will last. Itís in many peopleís nature to travel.
It will depend on how expensive flying becomes. If airlines reduce the number of seats and/or flights, we can expect prices to go up sharply.

We should keep in mind that the era of cheap global air travel is only about 30 years old. A return to prices from the 80s would likely mean a return to foreign vacation levels of the 80s. When I was in elementary school, a kid going to Hawaii or Mexico was rare and exotic enough that the teacher would ask them to tell the class about their trip.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #59
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It will depend on how expensive flying becomes. If airlines reduce the number of seats and/or flights, we can expect prices to go up sharply.

We should keep in mind that the era of cheap global air travel is only about 30 years old. A return to prices from the 80s would likely mean a return to foreign vacation levels of the 80s. When I was in elementary school, a kid going to Hawaii or Mexico was rare and exotic enough that the teacher would ask them to tell the class about their trip.

That maybe generational too. People have to take a vacation every year, how many vacations did we take from ages 0 to 18? 5 at most? And at least half of those be car.

More dual income, or single women income, and more personal debt. Will be interesting if things reset.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #60
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

This is fairly accurate from what I remember.

I went on a plane to MTL when I was 5 then did not step foot on one until 18, again to MTL. I didnít fly out of Canada until 21 to Mexico. Our family wasnít poor either probably a touch below upper middle class.

All vacations were staycations or car trips to the coast or twice we drove 3 weeks down the US coast and camped.

My son who is 9 has travelled to Hawaii 5 times, Phoenix 2 times, Vancouver 2 times.

TBH I donít think I missed much. I loved those car trips as a kid. However online travel and cheap flights make it easier to just fly to a beach. The car trips were a huge logistical lift for my parents.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post: