Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #221
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Congrats on the car. I'd be interested in knowing how you find the Ionia going forward. We just bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid yesterday. I had considered the Ioniq, in particular the plug in hybrid version, but the Ionia felt considerably cheaper than the Fusion. It was also impossible to find a plug in hybrid version.
I was considering the plug-in version, but an extra $50 per month probably didnít make sense, and I would have had to take white.

When the hybrid already is rated at 4.1 L/100km, the plug-in isnít going to save me $50 per month.

To get in the Bolt again, it would have been another $100 per month, for an additional year of payments.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #222
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
The maintenence plans are gravy for the dealer. The average person does not own their vehicle long enough to come anywhere close to saving a dime. Now a hybrid is not my specialty, so there may be more recommended services but for the most part these are pure profit. Service customers are a huge money maker for dealers and the service plan ensures you keep returning.

Unless you own the vehicle for 10 years or are a high miler most recommended services don't come in to play untill you hit 80,000 km. A 4-5 year service plan offers very little in terms of overall value to most customers. And yes, they're transferable, as long as you register the paperwork properly with the new owner and manufacture, if you trade it in, there's no value in it.

I recommend against the payment deferral unless you need to, we are all in different situations, but a deferral is not a "good deal". The biggest reason is the depreciation is bad enoug as it is already. Simply put, you will have owned the car for 6 months and not even have paid the GST yet, let alone any money towards the car itself.
Thanks.

The prepaid maintenance plan just seems like Iím up fronting more money to the dealer.

On the deferred payments, at the very least, Iíll set aside the payments fir those theee months and pay off some line of credit that I used while unemployed.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #223
chedder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
A couple of things. The warranty price is just as negotiable the the car price. Are you pay cash or financing the car? Because you may get a better price from the finance manager if you finance rather then cash, so make sure to tell them you're financing. What is the deductible for coverage? One with a small deductible ($100) can be quite a bit less then a $0 deductible warranty, see what options they have for you.

That being said if you do not purchase a warranty, don't count an getting any sort of break from the dealer if something goes wrong 6 months down the road. "Sorry but we offered you a warranty which would have covered "X" but you opted against it."

On and is it a Honda warranty that is recognized across the country or some third party provider (coast to coast) with all sorts of fine print and only recognized at a handful of dealers/ shops? I would not purchase one of these types of warranties. They likely have both options so clarify the costs for each.
Thanks Derek. Yes, it's the acura plus warranty. Can't find anything about a deductible so I'll have to ask. Not sure if you can or want to tell but how much room to move would there be in these warranties?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #224
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Thanks Derek. Yes, it's the acura plus warranty. Can't find anything about a deductible so I'll have to ask. Not sure if you can or want to tell but how much room to move would there be in these warranties?
The finance manager typically has as much pressure to sell as the sales person. Be straight up with them, tell him/ her that you want the warranty and know they want to sell a warranty but you but can't justify spending $3500 that you don't count on ever needing, ask if you can get a better price. He will could have $500- $1000 to play with.

It kinda depends where in the buying process you actually are, he may have even already discounted it for an easy pre sell. Hard for me to say 100% but warranty sales are a commission business and anything for them is better then nothing.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:02 AM   #225
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Pre-paid maintenance just preys on societies obsession with "just give me a monthly payment where I don't have to worry about any additional costs going forward". Consumers will pay anything for "I got all my "needs" (see: wants) in this vehicle and things are covered!!!

Who cares what the actual cost of everything is, or what I got screwed on. They matched my desired monthly payment and...shiny new thing. Everything is great!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #226
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Pre-paid maintenance just preys on societies obsession with "just give me a monthly payment where I don't have to worry about any additional costs going forward". Consumers will pay anything for "I got all my "needs" (see: wants) in this vehicle and things are covered!!!

Who cares what the actual cost of everything is, or what I got screwed on. They matched my desired monthly payment and...shiny new thing. Everything is great!!
Partly. It’s also true that a lot of folks can’t afford a sudden $500 or $600 expense (one of them), and if people don’t have the extra cash or room on their visa for a $350 bill, they’ll put it off. And that in turn, their car will begin to deteriorate.

If you’re paying $350/month anyway, pay $360 (or whatever it ends up being) a month and make sure the thing you’re on the hook for runs as well as it can

Prepaid maintenance also generally comes with a discounted shop rate, and In that case, it’s cheaper across the board, and generally advisable to do.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 11-12-2020 at 01:53 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #227
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Enjoying the fuel economy on my Ioniq so far. 1100 km so far on 1 (probably not quite) full tank, and a half tank.

Car is showing 4.7 L per 100km so far on the current tank. 470 km on the tank so far, car still shows above half full.

The other day, I had a drive across the city, and it told me I was at 3.9L/100 for the drive.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #228
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That's amazing fuel economy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #229
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Enjoying the fuel economy on my Ioniq so far. 1100 km so far on 1 (probably not quite) full tank, and a half tank.

Car is showing 4.7 L per 100km so far on the current tank. 470 km on the tank so far, car still shows above half full.

The other day, I had a drive across the city, and it told me I was at 3.9L/100 for the drive.
Nice. I'm assuming that your Ioniq will drive in EV mode like my Fusion Hybrid. Do you find it easy to stay within EV mode to keep the engine off? I find the Fusion has a pretty narrow band for EV and you need to be really light and gentle with the gas pedal. From a stop I can accelerate pretty well in EV up to about 45 or 50km but beyond that the acceleration really gets sluggish in EV and you have to push it into hybrid mode to keep up with traffic.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #230
jaydorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Oh cool, we didn’t get a chance to test drive one, but we had our eye on the Iconiq during our car shopping this year. That fuel economy sounds wild.
jaydorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #231
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Nice. I'm assuming that your Ioniq will drive in EV mode like my Fusion Hybrid. Do you find it easy to stay within EV mode to keep the engine off? I find the Fusion has a pretty narrow band for EV and you need to be really light and gentle with the gas pedal. From a stop I can accelerate pretty well in EV up to about 45 or 50km but beyond that the acceleration really gets sluggish in EV and you have to push it into hybrid mode to keep up with traffic.
I can definitely drive the last km or so to my house completely on EV. I have to accelerate pretty slowly to stay in EV, but anytime I pull my foot off the accelerator, it doesnít even have to be completely, it will shut off the gas engine.

Even with Cruise on, at highway speeds, Iíll see the car in EV mode from time to time, especially if Iím going even a bit downhill.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #232
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can definitely drive the last km or so to my house completely on EV. I have to accelerate pretty slowly to stay in EV, but anytime I pull my foot off the accelerator, it doesnít even have to be completely, it will shut off the gas engine.

Even with Cruise on, at highway speeds, Iíll see the car in EV mode from time to time, especially if Iím going even a bit downhill.
Seems like the Ford is very much the same as the Ioniq. Most of the time on flat roads I can cruise in EV up to about 120km/h. I would prefer a bit more EV at acceleration but it is acceptable I guess.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote