Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #41
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

The inconsistent policies, inconsistent understanding of policies, different levels of importance some people put on certain actions or inactions, the pompous righteousness towards others who aren’t behaving as they perceive they ‘should’ be, things are going to get testier and testier.

And people tend to start having less faith in the authorities decision making when they see non sensical limitations compared to others.

Interesting social experiment though.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #42
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhog View Post
Presumably the checkout person isnít touching your clothes. They do handle reusable bags and then proceed to touch a bunch of other peopleís groceries. Also, the bag sits on the counter, which more bags and groceries then sit on. Probably low odds of transmission, but higher than using plastic bags.
None of the grocery store I have been to recently are bagging groceries. It is a bag your own situation.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #43
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Must...resist...posting...here...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #44
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This was on /r/calgary. Car meetups in the parking lot of Peters Drive-in are probably ok if youíre practicing social distancing. These ####s are not.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #45
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
None of the grocery store I have been to recently are bagging groceries. It is a bag your own situation.
Interesting. I havenít needed to go for groceries for the last week and a half or so, but the cashiers at our community store were still bagging then. Things seem to change every time I venture in, so maybe itís changed.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #46
Minnie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This was on /r/calgary. Car meetups in the parking lot of Peters Drive-in are probably ok if you’re practicing social distancing. These ####s are not.

Are they showing up there after hours? Cuz during the hours Peters is open, they've got a security guard there chasing everyone off if they get out of their vehicles.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #47
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friend lives in New York. Her boyfriend works in construction, lives with his baby, his brother's family and baby, and their mom (70+).

He got really sick last week. Like real sick. Bad fever, loss of taste, shortness of breath. So he called to get swabbed. It would be days to get swabbed, days to get the results. Meantime, his company said if he didn't come to work he'd be fired. So he's been working.

New York sounds like a mess.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #48
cupofjoe
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
My friend lives in New York. Her boyfriend works in construction, lives with his baby, his brother's family and baby, and their mom (70+).

He got really sick last week. Like real sick. Bad fever, loss of taste, shortness of breath. So he called to get swabbed. It would be days to get swabbed, days to get the results. Meantime, his company said if he didn't come to work he'd be fired. So he's been working.

That's brutal.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #49
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post

May their mom rest in peace
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I get angry at people shopping at the grocery store that seem to need to pick up every can to inspect them and read the label and put it back on the shelf.

Or the mom who brings their snot nosed little kid into the store and the kid is running underfoot, grabbing and touching other peoples food etc.

I want to buy a arc taser with a 6 foot range and hold it up.

Oh and people in stores that are bitchy and impatient with the people working there, especially the cashiers, I hate rude people in the first place.

I honestly think that assault laws should be lifted or modified, if you see an idiot licking foot or doing something stupid you have the right to beat them into the earth.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Must...resist...posting...here...
Please donít resist. Your posts are always very informative and entertaining.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

well done with the thread title, powderjunkie - it's perfect
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #53
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I still shake my head at people driving down stoney or deerfoot trail alone with windows closed wearing a fricken mask...really people? there's dumb and then there's you!
You should put your mask on when your hands are absolutely clean, which means doing it at home.

You should wash your hands thoroughly before and after taking your mask off, which means doing it at home.

It might be possible to do it properly elsewhere if you use sanitizer (and wait the 30-60 seconds for it to do its thing), but it certainly wouldn't be easier than just doing it at home. Lastly, our cars (keys, steering wheel, gear shift, etc.) tend to be pretty dirty - it's probably harder to wipe down all of those surfaces and/or use hand sani every time you are in/out than just treating them as 'dirty'. Ever touch your face while driving? Probably a lot more than you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
well done with the thread title, powderjunkie - it's perfect
I tried to think of something more creative, but sometime less is more
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #54
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #55
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Shouldnít these guys be celebrating instead of protesting? Immigration has been canceled and their arenít any foreigners in their country anymore.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #56
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I still shake my head at people driving down stoney or deerfoot trail alone with windows closed wearing a fricken mask...really people? there's dumb and then there's you!
If the virus is on the outside of my mask and then I take it off I've got the virus on my hand now.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #57
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Shouldnít these guys be celebrating instead of protesting? Immigration has been canceled and their arenít any foreigners in their country anymore.
As far as I can tell they think it's all fake and we're being duped into giving up our rights and Trudeau is a wuss and 5G is coming to take your babies away. Just a cursory summary of course. I'm probably missing something.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #58
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, okay...y'all talked me into it.

The thing is, I have found 'our' (as a general peoples, not a specific person or body) response to this pandemic disappointing and disheartening over all. My work is taking this very seriously. We split between two locations as soon as this blew up, so that if someone at one location got sick, they wouldn't take out our entire workforce before it was known.

We see a lot of good out in the media, which is very good. People pulling together. People cheering on nurses and doctors (a job I would NOT want right now), people generally being excellent to each other.

And then there's the people we deal with. I've heard the phrases "The Pandemic Police" or "Social Distance Warriors" thrown around, and it's so apt. I can't believe the sheer number of people who seem to want nothing more than to call up and tattle on someone for some (usually wrong) belief of non-compliance.

CPS currently deals with two types of violations only. Known and proven cases of folks who have been ordered to self-quarantine and are knowingly and intentionally breaking quarantine, and gatherings of 15+ people. When I went on shift last night, I was not in a public facing role, but could hear 4 of my fellow calltakers pretty easily. All four probably spent the first 2 hours just dealing with folks tattling on others for all manner of imagined violations.

-Someone was walking alone down the street
-A known married couple was walking hand in hand
-Someone was walking their dog
-Two kids were in a playground area (!) kicking a soccer ball back and forth (!!)
-Someone was upset a store made them wait in line in front of the store
-People were upset they were NOT made to wait in a line
-People were upset that the line was not spaced out enough between people (according to their best eyeball opinion)
-Someone was upset, feeling that their spouses workplace wasn't doing enough. They didn't know what that workplace was doing, or what they are obliged to do, but whatever it was, that spouse felt, in their opinion, that it wasn't enough
-People are upset when two neighbors sit on lawn chairs in their front yards and chat across a shared driveway
-Someone was upset that the CFD is doing their Birthday Cheer drivebys, felt that it was a waste of time and resources and that the CFD should be investigated for "something. They must be violating something with that waste of time."
-Folks are upset that it's not martial law and that 'we' have not issued a full lockdown quarantine yet
-Folks call to complain that we still enforce speed limits (and of course, the counter calls that we aren't and folks are driving wild on the streets)
-Folks calling because there are more than 1 person from a household in a store, despite not knowing anything about that family's situation but how DARE there be more than one of them out in public
-Folks calling about the 'how many people can I have in my car?' or "I share a car with people who don't live with me, will we get $1000 fines if we're caught?"
-Folks not liking the plexiglass barriers stores have installed (and folks wondering why there aren't more of them)

And yes, a lot of these calls come in on 911, because "in case you hadn't heard officer, this is a GLOBAL PANDEMIC! Of course this is a life or death emergency!"

I get that a lot of people are scared and worried. I really understand that. These are crazy scary times for all of us, and no one's sure when it's going to get better.

But if we could all just be a little more excellent to each other, and maybe not be so quick to stick our noses into someone else's business, especially as we don't know all the details of other people's situations, it would be a bit less scary. One of my coworkers, after taking a call like this, said that she was surprised...so many people have so many new worries and stresses on their plate already, how are they finding the time to take on other folks worries, too, especially when they don't even have to.

This got more bleak than I thought, and wandered off the thread topic. Sorry, the COVIDiots are really getting to me/us.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 04-10-2020 at 02:53 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #59
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Careful, I bet half of the posters on CP have made a call to you guys.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #60
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would be be out of bounds to link back to the All-Purpose thread? Because damn some people just aren't getting it.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post: