Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm in Vancouver. Went to get groceries this week and was in line outside where they have markers where people should line up.

I left an extra marker between me and the person on front of me, just because.

Guy walks by the line and slides into that spot, I say to him, "there's a lot of people behind me, as you can see", to which he approaches me to respond, "well, stand in the spot properly then".

I backed away as he approached to maintain distance, and the guy behind me tells him to, "just *#&& off and go to the back of the line"!

Was I wrong here for leaving extra space?
Yes, social cues around spacing arenít widely known yet. So the guy probably thought there was room then got annoyed. Until we understand intuitively what a space looks like I would stand near the appropriate dot. A 12 foot gap is a lot of space to assume you were waiting.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #22
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Was I wrong here for leaving extra space?
An entire space might be a little much...an extra 1/2 or so might be the ideal compromise (all depending on the situation of course and how busy or not things are)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #23
Calgary14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently Invermere is quite busy this weekend (not there personally but I have family in the area that have been there for 40 years), despite multiple warnings for people to stay away
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #24
CASe333
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Yes, social cues around spacing arenít widely known yet. So the guy probably thought there was room then got annoyed. Until we understand intuitively what a space looks like I would stand near the appropriate dot. A 12 foot gap is a lot of space to assume you were waiting.
This is ridiculous advice in my opinion. If you are lined up and there are people behind you its pretty obvious there is a lineup. The dots are exactly the recommended distance which we keep finding out should be further so when I'm standing with my 2-3ft cart it kinda makes sense to stand a bit further back then the dots. Note he was at a grocery store and the guy behind him said something too. I really doubt there was a 12ft gap if a shopping cart was involved. Social cues are pretty obvious to anyone paying attention so lets not give excuses for ######s.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #25
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Saw a couple guys each grabbing chewing tobacco from one tin today
That crap may just kill the virus.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #26
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A thread I can finally post my interwebz findings, yay!

She might just be mentally ill but still

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Does this count? One of the guys laid off from my husband's place of employment is on his way to BC as we speak, to his secondary RV resort property because the other one he owns here told everybody nope, closed, don't bother coming out for the long weekend.
I don't think it does count, if he's just going out there to isolate himself in more pleasant surroundings and practices good social distancing measures there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:02 AM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Apparently Invermere is quite busy this weekend
No #### That's why parks were closed and why I'm convinced highways will be closed by May long.

Easter was a test. If we cant figure it out ourselves by then It will be imposed by May long.

Sadly, people, including the people on CP who can't figure out if they can camp in the woods or why they can't hike, are the problem and why this is going to suck all summer long.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:05 AM   #29
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doing the grocery shopping today and one stop was Walmart. Quiet when I went in but a lineup when I came out. Passed a couple near the front and I heard them say to security "it's a store. Why the #### do I have to wait in line in a ####ing store. ####ing stupid." Didn't stop to hear the rest.

Also saw more than a few people wearing their mask under their noses.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 AM   #30
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still shake my head at people driving down stoney or deerfoot trail alone with windows closed wearing a fricken mask...really people? there's dumb and then there's you!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:05 AM   #31
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I still shake my head at people driving down stoney or deerfoot trail alone with windows closed wearing a fricken mask...really people? there's dumb and then there's you!
I donít see whatís wrong with this. If someone is running errands ,making multiple stops, and their mask is already fitted, why would they need to take their mask off in while driving in their car? It means fewer contact to their face adjusting and refitting their mask
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #32
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must...resist...posting...here...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #33
Boreal
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Did you ever think they might be in between stops & donít want to touch their face in removing their masks multiple times?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #34
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to stop into our (closed) office last week to do some inventory, and as I stepped out of the parkade elevator some natty old dude almost barrels into me around the corner (who walks within 2 feet of an opening elevator?), looks at my mask and says in the most ominous possible voice:

"That mask is not going to help you."

He then proceeded to go digging through the cigarette butts out the front door for loose tobacco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #35
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Must...resist...posting...here...
Please do not resist your temptation. You know you have the best stories.
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IGGYFORMVP For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few days ago I was at the grocery store, and the lady in front of me in line at the checkout made a big show of using her own Lysol wipes to clean the debit machine pin pad, then turned back to me and said "you're welcome!" She then proceeded to scold the guy behind the till because they should be sanitizing it after every use. He tells her that that's the store's policy. She gets all riled up because it wasn't done before she did it (the person in front of her had used tap, so no need to sanitize the key pad). Then she starts giving the guy a hard time because while shopping, she saw someone "digging through the bananas touching every one", and when she told another store employee, they told her they couldn't tell people not to touch the produce.

All while complaining, she's pulling out her cloth grocery bags to pack her groceries in (multiple signs throughout the store asking people to NOT bring their own bags at this time). The entire time she's been complaining, she's kind of been half talking to me, (trying to get me to commiserate with her maybe?), so I finally reply "if we're talking about following rules and regulations, you're not supposed to be using your own grocery bags, but here you are".

She got all flustered and made some half excuse about not knowing, but finally shut up.
I get that this is a stressful time, and if you see people doing things wrong, you can say something, but there's no reason to be a miserable ####### about it; especially when you're also ignorant to some of the rules in place.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, why can't people use their own grocery bags?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wait, why can't people use their own grocery bags?
Superstore and Walmart put in this policy. I think they worry about a contaminated grocery bag contaminating something else.

I donít see it as a real risk relative to the moist talking going on in the rest of the store.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't get that... isn't the same risk present on the clothes you wore to the store? Weird. Contaminated grocery bags do not seem like a real source of risk here.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #40
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah I don't get that... isn't the same risk present on the clothes you wore to the store? Weird. Contaminated grocery bags do not seem like a real source of risk here.
Presumably the checkout person isnít touching your clothes. They do handle reusable bags and then proceed to touch a bunch of other peopleís groceries. Also, the bag sits on the counter, which more bags and groceries then sit on. Probably low odds of transmission, but higher than using plastic bags.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to puckhog For This Useful Post: