Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #21
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good call! There's a wealth of information about the serious concerning news with the spread of Coronavirus, but to keep us all sane it is important to remember to find positive where we can. It's looking quite a bit like the world we'll be re-entering is going to be a very different and very beautiful one.

While we all hunker down to prevent spreading this illness as best we can, our world impact comes to a sudden stop - and the results we're seeing already are remarkable.

As one example... the Venice canal is crystal clear
https://twitter.com/user/status/1237862630649290758
https://twitter.com/user/status/1238808084375633920

Quote:
The decline in tourism has brought “back the lagoon waters of ancient times, those of the post-war period, when it was even still possible to bathe in the waters of the canals,” according to local newspaper La Nuova di Venezia e Mestre.

Air quality has also improved in Italy.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6683226/c...e-coronavirus/

Italy went under quarantine March 8, and that Tweet was from March 11
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #22
bagofpucks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My wife is finally working from home, so that is a major win today. Our new routine has been going awesome so far. I take our toddler to Grandmaís in the AM and pick her up at lunch. Toddler and I have been self isolating for a week now and Grandma has been for a little less than that. Now with my wife staying home for work we are at very minimal levels of exposure, so hopefully weíre good to ride this one out. Of course, if any one of us get sick the whole plan is screwed!

I have really been enjoying spending more time with my daughter and Iím looking forward to having a bit more relaxed family mornings. I donít mind my commute, but we will be saving a ton of money on gas each month. Not to mention no lunches or coffees.

Good news through the community as we have had a bunch of neighbors make it home from all over the world. They are all self isolating and itís been nice to catch up with them and make sure everything is ok over the phone.

Still a long grind ahead of us, but really happy with our first week!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #23
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve always said this and it rings extra true now;

It’s always good to have perspective. However one can not choose perspective - you are either forced in to it, or it is given to you.

This will force the entire world to have a new perspective on what they truly value and appreciate, and things they took for granted before they will look at entirely different.

I truly believe this will bring a lot of people a lot closer. And that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

Great thread idea Jiri.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #24
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got remote access from an employer who swore he'd never give his employees remote access to work from home. There was a couple of us who worked from home today and we had a group text tonight and we all felt really good how it worked today so that's a huge positive! We will take a huge hit as a business in the next couple weeks but for now I still have a job, so that's another plus.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vegasbound For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #25
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m so happy that I finally found some hand sanitizers! Certain Safeways carry this and are selling at a fair price

Last edited by Scorch; 03-19-2020 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Sorry, took the pic down
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #26
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

we were outside this afternoon doing yard work (well... my wife was more watching/keeping the kids entertained and i did most of the yard work) and got a chance to chat (at a distance) with lots of 'neighbours' that were out going for walk and just getting outside in the beautiful weather (i say 'neighbours' becuz these weren't our immediate neighbours, but people from the surrounding streets). it's just nice to see people smiling and chatting and stuff... 'normal' stuff.

another cool thing was one of our old neighbours (used to live across the street - now lives on the other side of town) ran to susperstore this afternoon to pick up a prescription for our daughter so that i wouldn't have to go and risk exposure. my daughter and my wife both have severe asthma so we're pretty much in lock down right now. i think my wife would be able to pull thru but we are very concerned for our daughter. our little guy brought home a cold in jaunary and he was 'off' for a day and a half. he passed it onto his sister and she was completely out of commission for 3 weeks - something like covid would hit her hard so we want to minimize the risk to her especially.

and a final positive... our yard should look the nicest it ever has this spring! and lots of jobs around the house are going to get done in the near future - so that's a win in my books!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #27
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yardwork humble brag over here... I am just jealous
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I built lego with my 3 year for the first time today. The first time in... decades that I’ve done it myself. We built all kinds of stuff from cars to a house, a boat and even an alligator. I forgot how much fun building LEGO was. Great distraction, great stress relief. I ended up picking up another box when I was at Costco to build more tomorrow.

No tv on, just me, my pregosaurus wife my boy and my french bulldog snoring on her blanket. Life was really good in that moment. I encourage everyone to put your phone down for an extended period of time each day. Does great things for your mental health.

Oh and Cosmic Kids Yoga. Dont forget to do a bit of that as well.

Spoiler!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-19-2020 at 11:50 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 PM   #29
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more day closer to semi normal.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #30
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't had a true 'staycation' since University.

There's so much to do. Couple hours per day of working out, some hiking/trail runs, taking the dog out, playing guitar for the first time in 7 years, new games, wife time.

Looking forward to it.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #31
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

One of my favourite YouTube channels is getting a lot of attention these days and ESPN is going to show their races to fill in for cancelled sports.

https://frntofficesport.com/marble-racing-league-jelle/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:32 AM   #32
ben voyonsdonc
First Line Centre

Exp:

I managed to run 7 miles outside today. It was chilly but I felt pretty good.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I built lego with my 3 year for the first time today. The first time in... decades that Iíve done it myself. We built all kinds of stuff from cars to a house, a boat and even an alligator. I forgot how much fun building LEGO was. Great distraction, great stress relief. I ended up picking up another box when I was at Costco to build more tomorrow.

No tv on, just me, my pregosaurus wife my boy and my french bulldog snoring on her blanket. Life was really good in that moment. I encourage everyone to put your phone down for an extended period of time each day. Does great things for your mental health.

Oh and Cosmic Kids Yoga. Dont forget to do a bit of that as well.

Spoiler!

Ah yes. Building LEGO with the kids is so much better than being too busy and just stepping on it!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:00 AM   #34
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I just heard my daughter laugh for the first time...
Awesome. Congrats. You have a lot more wonderful firsts to come!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:41 AM   #35
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
One of my favourite YouTube channels is getting a lot of attention these days and ESPN is going to show their races to fill in for cancelled sports.

https://frntofficesport.com/marble-racing-league-jelle/
Go Balls of Chaos!!!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #36
skudr248
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like this thread more than the other ones
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #37
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I listen to this song every night before bed. Music for whatever reason has a calming effect on me. It gives me hope for better days.

She had a hell of a voice and was a great talent, did you know she had a Canadian connection and spent many summers in Nova Scotia writing songs about the peaceful tranquility there? According to family members Caribou Island, Cape John and Cape Breton Island apparently were her favorite places on earth.

I didn't see it as I was away but there was a tribute concert a few years back that I think came thru Calgary...did you see it?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #38
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally, our neighborhood is very quiet and people don't really interact with each other that much, so when I take the dog for a walk I only encounter other dog walkers. It makes our neighborhood feel a little cold and isolating. With everyone at home and little to do, most people are out at some point walking around the neighborhood. We all stop and chat (across the street obviously) and get to know each other a little more. It makes our neighborhood feel like a real community rather than a bunch of random people living close to each other. Every day I take the dog for a walk it's taking me twice as long because I'm talking to so many people.

This does happen somewhat during hurricanes, but not to this level. People have nothing left to do but stop and talk to each other. It's really nice actually.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #39
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
She had a hell of a voice and was a great talent, did you know she had a Canadian connection and spent many summers in Nova Scotia writing songs about the peaceful tranquility there? According to family members Caribou Island, Cape John and Cape Breton Island apparently were her favorite places on earth.

I didn't see it as I was away but there was a tribute concert a few years back that I think came thru Calgary...did you see it?
I didn't hear of any tribute concert. If I had I would have gone.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don't necessarily agree with a part of this, here is a very optimistic piece on some potential treatments and a rosier outlook economically speaking as well. This is from Morningstar, so not just someone prognosticating in their basement!

https://www.morningstar.ca/ca/news/2...overreact.aspx
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote