Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are small businesses planning on not paying April rent or is anyone asking the landlord for reduced rent or a postponement?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

My business (travel/vacation rentals) is at exactly -100% of previous revenue. Thankfully I have no employees, as that would be a hard decision.

For those who do, i could see doing temporary layoffs and getting folks to claim EI and some of the other benefits available, and making small top-ups where possible. Tough times for sure.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of cancellation....unknown rescheduling because now its income loss for folks who could afford it and now ???
Sucks as prior to this I was projecting higher sales by 15%.

I'm damn lucky to be good at what I do so I'll get it back eventually....it always rebounds for me because i do excellent work and that always wins
Old 03-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #24
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our Business (Bed and Breakfast) is down to approximately -95% revenue for the next two months. My biggest concern is if the travel restrictions will continue into June/July/August. The bulk of our revenue for the year come from those month and will likely sink us without it (unless we get significant family support).
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The biggest frustration in my office is when to re-schedule for. Is a month enough?

Haven't seen any of the details on the small business help plan... but am I safe to assume that, like all other good credits, it only applies to very specific demographics?

This will be a hit, no doubt.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Lots of cancellation....unknown rescheduling because now its income loss for folks who could afford it and now ???
Sucks as prior to this I was projecting higher sales by 15%.

I'm damn lucky to be good at what I do so I'll get it back eventually....it always rebounds for me because i do excellent work and that always wins
PM'd
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If a business gives you an inch as a favor, don't try to grab an extra mile too.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #28
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My office is emergencies only once I get off of self isolation due to Pacific Dental Conference attendance. All my staff has presently applied for the self isolation benefit as we were all at the conference.
Temp lay off ROE's are filing today for everyone.
I honestly have no idea when routine hygiene and recalls will be able to undertaken again.
Myself and one assistant will take care of any emergencies that are needed but that is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. We are doing this to keep people away from the emergency room to keep those resources free.
Hopefully at some point over the next 2-3 weeks people with urgent but not emergency care can start to be seen so they don't turn into emergency patients.
I will do my best to support my staff who are the only income earners in their household, but that is gonna lead to some difficult decisions
That being said, I am far from being in the worst spot out there. Thinking of all small business owners right now
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't see that demand in will and estate planning in anything tangible though. People aren't really afraid of dying from this, at this point. They're more afraid of living and dealing with the financial ramifications.
Is this an appropriate time/thread to plug what a bang up job Slava did getting me some life insurance? One less thing I'm worried about right now at least.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Is this an appropriate time/thread to plug what a bang up job Slava did getting me some life insurance? One less thing I'm worried about right now at least.
If you're throwing out compliments to me, every thread is fine in my eyes!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Here is a list of businesses that support CJSW, showing which places are still open:

https://cjsw.com/friends/
Old 03-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Land Titles Document Drop Off and Pick Up Procedure Change

In order to reduce exposure risk resulting from the spread of COVID-19, and to help ensure the health and protection of their clients and colleagues, Land Titles and Surveys Branch has modified document drop off and pick up processes. These measures only impact physical delivery of packages. Normal services for examination, SPIN2 and phone support continue to operate as usual.

Changes to delivering documents to Land Titles Offices effective immediately:
• Documents submitted to Land Titles Offices are to be placed in the after-hours drop box. Land Titles staff will retrieve documents regularly throughout the day and will handle all time dependent documents as per usual procedures.

Changes to document pick-up call boxes at Land Titles Offices effective immediately:
• There is no change in process for clients who currently have a call box. Access is available as usual during office hours (8:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.).
• There are limited call boxes available in Edmonton and Calgary for those who wish to obtain one. Account holders who wish to obtain a call box must contact 780-422-4612. Requests will be fulfilled on a first come, first served basis.
• In Edmonton, all requests where the return instruction selected is ‘pick-up’, packages will be mailed out to the address provided on the Document Registration Request (DRR)
• In Calgary, all requests where the return instruction selected is ‘pick-up’, packages will be mailed out to the address provided on the Document Registration Request (DRR) and can still be picked up in a new self-serve location in the building. Signage will be posted to direct couriers or firms to the new location.
• All documents currently in the pick-up location in Edmonton will be mailed out to the address provided.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #33
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are working from home, and someone is usually around for a part of the day. It's slow, but we should be fine, and should be able to avoid layoffs, unless the insurance industry shuts down completely. Actually, we just hired a new person (that won't be able to start until whenever) - some fantastic candidates out there (unsurprisingly). I am trying to spend as much as I can at my favourite restaurants, but that's a drop in the bucket...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
Bankai
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My landlord has given all merchants in our area rent relief for the time being! Re-assessed every month with a 2 week warning that they will be charging rent again.

We are already entering the slow-down period for us (April - August), so this is great news.

This will definitely trickle down to my staff as they have been so loyal over all this time.

Perhaps now I will only lose 50% of my overhead instead of 100% (My business is closed due to COVID 19)
Bankai is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/about-u...covid-19-faqs/

Quote:
The Law Society has developed the following guidance for lawyers to support them in the delivery of legal services in the COVID-19 pandemic. This is an unprecedented situation, and flexibility and diligence is required to ensure continuity of essential legal services without risk to public health. Public health agencies have made numerous recommendations to reduce the risk of transmission, including social distancing and self-isolation. Please continue to monitor ongoing news releases to ensure you have current information.

For lawyers, many legislative requirements and risk management measures require in-person contact with clients and others. The Law Society is not able to relax the rules which require in-person execution of testamentary documents, transfers of title, and sworn affidavits because these are rules created by statute. This means that only the Government can change these rules via statutory amendment. The Law Society will be speaking to Government about this in the hopes of getting ‘urgent’ statutory amendments made. We will keep the profession updated as that conversation evolves. In the meantime, the Law Society is looking for ways it can assist lawyers during this health crisis. An example of this is that the Law Society has temporarily permitting lawyers to complete client verification using non-face-to-face methods. These issues are addressed in more detail below.

We will continue to update this FAQ as the situation continues to evolve and as the Law Society makes more decisions about the short and long term impacts of COVID-19 on our work. Check back frequently for updates.

Alberta lawyers have been asking the following questions: (go to link)
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #36
hitfan
Draft Pick

Deleted

Last edited by hitfan; 03-21-2020 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
hitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't my idea, and won't work in my business, but the idea of business bonds is something I saw by a restaurant in NY. Basically, they're selling a $100 gift card for $75. I think that's a great idea! Even if a business sold those at $90 for use when they reopen it might help to bring some cash in the door now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #38
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This isn't my idea, and won't work in my business, but the idea of business bonds is something I saw by a restaurant in NY. Basically, they're selling a $100 gift card for $75. I think that's a great idea! Even if a business sold those at $90 for use when they reopen it might help to bring some cash in the door now.
I guess the question becomes - what are the odds the restaurant comes out on the other end? It is probably a fairly safe bet with the chain types, but then I would not want to eat there in the first place.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #39
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
My landlord has given all merchants in our area rent relief for the time being! Re-assessed every month with a 2 week warning that they will be charging rent again.
I wish all LL's were like this. Was talking to my local Viet place and she was practically in tears as she talked about her $12K a month rent bill she had just received.

Hopefully that was sent before the quarantine and they'll back off. But she's pretty much said she won't be paying for this month as the money's just not there.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #40
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
He did the same for me. Painless process.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote