Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #41
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Teams has a nice group meeting feature but not as polished as Zoom.

Because we use Teams for 75% of our inner office communication we find it easier to use it for screen sharing, calls, etc.

Zoom is better for 'meetings' though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:10 AM   #42
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
We've used Remote Destkop for years for the IT team to just remote in when we're needed for on-call purposes. One of us has a laptop so we use Fortigate's VPN client for that guy.

We saw a day when we may have to extend RDP for more users so we planned a scheme so it isn't very easy to find.

Suddenly last week we were setting up RDP connections for the entire office to work from home and handing out laptops for those who didn't have adequate computers at home.

Are you opening up RDP ports to the internet? That's just asking for trouble
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ya, I was wondering about that bit. Ideally everyone should be on a VPN, then RDC through that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #44
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. But we've taken steps to be "tricky". It ain't perfect but somebody has to work if they want in.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #45
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This would be really helpful... I've currently got my work laptop hooked to a dock, which is hooked to one external monitor and the Displayport of my "big" monitor, which is the 43" 4k LG I used to use at the office and now use at home. Then my personal computer is hooked into the HDMI slot, so I can switch inputs depending on whether I'm working or not.

That works well enough, except that it means I have to have two different keyboard / mouse setups on my desk at the same time - that or switch between them. So if it were possible to hook one keyboard to multiple devices that would be great.
Did you find your solution? You're looking for a KVM.
A device that'll use the same Keyboard Video and Mouse for multiple devices.
Problem with this though is the dual monitor ones are stupid expensive.

You can search KVM directly in amazon and get a bunch of results. It's a pretty old technology so there's a lot that only work on VGA which won't get the 4k HDMI that you need
Something like this would work with the proper adapters if you don't have DVI
https://www.newegg.ca/rosewill-rkv-1...-415-_-Product

A dual 4k version
https://www.amazon.ca/CKL-Monitor-Ex...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Spoiler!

Last edited by jwslam; 03-30-2020 at 01:39 PM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks - good info... Unfortunately, 30HZ ain't gonna cut it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #47
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Only $500 for 4K

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-D.../dp/B079NYVT8R
Old 03-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Yes. But we've taken steps to be "tricky". It ain't perfect but somebody has to work if they want in.
I'd look in your event viewer security log to see how well that is working. When I had an open port it was endless failed logins with generic accounts like admin, accountant, secretary etc.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #49
photon

Exp:

Port knocking?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #50
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd look in your event viewer security log to see how well that is working. When I had an open port it was endless failed logins with generic accounts like admin, accountant, secretary etc.
Nothing in the logs since we came up with our current scheme.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #51
photon

Exp:

For those using Zoom be careful clicking links:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...th-no-warning/
Old 04-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #52
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zoom as a whole just taking a thrashing for vulnerabilities and privacy issues.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #53
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may kill someone if I have to keep using wired headphones with my cell for work. I'm looking at the older Apple air pods, price isn't bad but wondering if there is a cheaper equivalent that still as the solid sound apple has?

Love how good apples headphones sound so don't mind paying the apple premium unless there is a cheaper option for the same performance?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know of a good docking station for laptops? I would like to add an extra monitor, but I only have the single HDMI out. Or are docking stations universal? Any performance impacts of using one of a USB3.0 ones?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #55
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody know of a good docking station for laptops? I would like to add an extra monitor, but I only have the single HDMI out. Or are docking stations universal? Any performance impacts of using one of a USB3.0 ones?

If you have a newer laptop with a USB-C Thunderbolt port then you can use any number of docks, otherwise you're stuck using a regular USB dock which usually suck. If that were the case I'd just grab an HDMI-to-DVI cable and hook up a 2nd monitor directly to the laptop
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #56
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I have a USB 3.0 to VGA adapter if you want it. I've never actually used it so I don't know if it works.

PM me if you want it. (free 99 of course)
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. It's not just for the extra monitor, I would like to be able to move my laptop around without having to detach all of the cables, i.e. network, hdmi, power, random USB attachments.

My old Dell from work had sort of a docking base you could use that provided everything, and you could just take the laptop and go.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #58
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For those of you using Teams, did you go through a migration from Skype to Teams? I've spent a lot of time trialing it out and don't really see the benefit of switching yet since our users only use Skype for text chatting and the odd video meeting. One big drawback if we were to switch would be no support for distribution lists in contacts. Currently all of our users have their contact list auto-populated by DLs, if we switch then their contact list becomes empty and they have to manually populate it again. The interface is also quite confusing if you're coming from Skype and only using it for chatting
Teams SME here: The contact list migrates over when the user/tenant is perma-migrated from Skype to Teams (user or tenant put into 'Teams Only' mode). However, you might be running into the contact sync issue that occurs when Unified Contact Store is enabled.

If you are using both Skype for Business and Teams simultaneously (Islands Mode) then the contact lists are treated as distinctly separate and you won't get this migration behavior until you change out of Islands Mode.

However, the ability to auto-populate a contact list a la Skype for Business / Skype for Business Online isn't available with Teams, so net-new users won't get their contacts auto-populated.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #59
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The thing with Teams, as much as I love it and use it on a daily basis, I still liked Slack more. But because of the cost of getting our guys on Slack Premium, we decided to go the Teams route since we were paying for Office 365 anyways.

Slack has been impressive the last month or so. There is a thread on Twitter where their CEO talks about the process in his company as they adapted to Covid-19 becoming a reality and people starting to work from home in big numbers. Amazing thread from someone whose company is helping leading the work from home charge, AND helping connect the people who needed the ability to communicate with others working on Covid-19 work.

Makes me wish I could go back to using Slack again.....
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #60
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. It's not just for the extra monitor, I would like to be able to move my laptop around without having to detach all of the cables, i.e. network, hdmi, power, random USB attachments.

My old Dell from work had sort of a docking base you could use that provided everything, and you could just take the laptop and go.
Depends on your laptop and what you want the dock to do. If it's Dell get a USB-C or TB-3 dock from Dell. There are a number to choose from so make sure they are compatible and they are not horribly expensive, $200 or $300.

For Macs I have a small, dual USB-C dock for HDMI, USB, network etc as well as some startech ones that will do dual display port, network, USB. The startech ones are a single USB-C connection and some will provide power as well.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post: