Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #21
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My company is a big Teams user for a few years now. Works really well and its integration with sharepoint, onedrive, notes really allows you to keep things organized.

We are in full scramble mode to figure out how to get approximately 12,000 VFX artists from all over the world working from home. Fun times.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #22
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

MS Teams has been rock solid for us, and our IT department has been amazing at keeping our VPN going for all the other stuff.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I must also admit I'm pretty impressed with Teams, I can only remember once where joining a meeting lagged a bit at the start, and that was probably the VPN.

The most annoying part is the rest of the people in the office who only seem to know how to use a phone try and use Teams... Mic muting protocol.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #24
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Have been doing work in the Microsoft space for a long time now, but just want to say what a pleasure Teams has been to get the newbies on-board to working from home. A good mix of useful tech, combined with good communication and training materials has meant that our production has not only kept pace but actually improved, as we're having quality conversations only when we need to and using the tech to do it.

Teams has also been the most stable web conferencing tool since the COVID crisis forced everyone home. It also means people are actually caring about their digital workplace more and not making it a junkyard or cemetery of ROT (at least in my org).

Have to think Microsoft comes out of this whole thing looking like heroes. Their subscription numbers are going to skyrocket if they haven't started already.
We moved to Teams about 6 months ago after deciding to completely upgrade all our users to the full blown Office 365 suite and it has been a pleasure to use. They are still behind Slack in some features, but lots of things in the pipeline, and it sure seems like they're doing pretty well these days with the massive influx of users.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

For those of you using Teams, did you go through a migration from Skype to Teams? I've spent a lot of time trialing it out and don't really see the benefit of switching yet since our users only use Skype for text chatting and the odd video meeting. One big drawback if we were to switch would be no support for distribution lists in contacts. Currently all of our users have their contact list auto-populated by DLs, if we switch then their contact list becomes empty and they have to manually populate it again. The interface is also quite confusing if you're coming from Skype and only using it for chatting
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #26
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
For those of you using Teams, did you go through a migration from Skype to Teams? I've spent a lot of time trialing it out and don't really see the benefit of switching yet since our users only use Skype for text chatting and the odd video meeting. One big drawback if we were to switch would be no support for distribution lists in contacts. Currently all of our users have their contact list auto-populated by DLs, if we switch then their contact list becomes empty and they have to manually populate it again. The interface is also quite confusing if you're coming from Skype and only using it for chatting

We (global Fortune 500 company) have had both for at least a year and people just use whichever they want. Skype has had a lot of stability issues in our environment so I wonít be sad to see it go. There are some annoying inconsistencies though - Skype is integrated with our phone system but teams isnít, Skype works better with company to company meetings.

Then thereís email vs teams - some people use teams as the primary communication channel others use email. Iím finding teams very difficult in that regard.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Teams is not on par with Slack in terms of primary communication, but I do find it is still massively better than email.

People are simply just a lot more used to firing off a quick email, rather than going to Teams, scrolling over to the channel or chat room, finding the person you want to message, and messaging him.

But if you do daily calls from your computer, Teams is amazing. Webcam with a mic, boom done. So easy.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #28
Brendone
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default COVID-19 - Technology thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I have a Microsoft Surface Ergonomic which is nice but if I want to switch it between my home PC and my work laptop I have to repair it back and forth.
Try Microsoft Mouse Without Borders (free download). I use it to share a common keyboard & mouse with my work laptop and pc in the office or my work laptop and home pc. Very handy. Also letís you copy/paste or click and drag files between the linked pcís. Just have to be on the same network. Links up to four pcís and their monitors

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down....aspx?id=35460
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #29
Brendone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've basically got everyone on our VPN who are working from home. I setup a script a few months ago so the non-techies only have to enter their password once, then that logs them into the VPN, maps their network drive if they want to use it that way, and launches remote desktop to their machine.
Have you played with Windows 10 remote environment policies? Just learned of these from our laser scan software vendor, getting the software to run via remote connection. There are several settings that can optimize remote host video and bandwidth. I donít know much about it yet, just testing different combinations to see what happens, but might be something to look at.

If you do know about these settings I could use some tips

Last edited by Brendone; 03-21-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #30
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I work in sales for Zoom - never been busier than I have been this past week.

I'm just thankful that it is such a solid platform, as our main service (video meetings) has yet to have an outage even with the insane increase in usage/traffic globally.
I might be joining you as a webinar client soon. The company I work for does in-person continuing education conferences for nurses, docs, etc. Which is obviously not happening right now.

I have been comparing the different webinar platforms, and Zoom is right up there. Webinarjam looks good as a marketing tool, but frankly at this point, we just need a reliable platform to try and deliver these courses online in the interim. Me in my basement as the host, a presenter/expert in a remote location, and then nurses across Canada can tune in. All in the hopes that they can get their continuing education done in the mean time, and it also helps us avoid refunds for in-person courses that we have postponed to the fall because, let's be honest, the bank account can't handle that all at once. So we need to deliver online and new fall dates for in-person and hope that our registrants find wither option acceptable.

We have been wanting to dip our toe into online learning (learning management systems, webinars, etc.) but our clients really value the ability to take an education day, network a little, have lunch, etc. But, of course, none of that matters right now so here we are.

Does anyone have any experience with producing/hosting webinars? Any tips for this reluctant webinar host?

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 03-23-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought one of these...

... So that I wouldn't be taking calls on a handset or earbuds. Other than that
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably my only wish is to have one of these:

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...nomic-keyboard

They're cool because they can pair with 3 different devices.
This would be really helpful... I've currently got my work laptop hooked to a dock, which is hooked to one external monitor and the Displayport of my "big" monitor, which is the 43" 4k LG I used to use at the office and now use at home. Then my personal computer is hooked into the HDMI slot, so I can switch inputs depending on whether I'm working or not.

That works well enough, except that it means I have to have two different keyboard / mouse setups on my desk at the same time - that or switch between them. So if it were possible to hook one keyboard to multiple devices that would be great.

The problem is that unless that keyboard is some new technology from Logitech, their system doesn't actually do that. Using the logitech universal USB dongles, you can only have them work with one computer at a time. They do have software - the Logitech "flow" system that's advertised with that keyboard - to allow you to control multiple computers with the same device, but I've never been able to get it to function with my work computer because of the ridiculous amount of security garbage my IT group has deemed necessary. So if you're going that route, make sure that it'll actually work with your system before you drop $150 on that keyboard (the MX Master mouse series is great though, that's what I use for work).

The other problem is that good computer peripherals are probably the single biggest "I didn't know what I was missing and was happy with my lot and now I've gone down the rabbit hole and can't come back again" purchase that you can possibly make. People say you shouldn't learn about good wine or good scotch or you'll end up going broke, but I'm trying to use a membrane MK700 keyboard and I hate it now. It used to be the keyboard I used every day, and I used to like it a lot. Now it feels mushy and just... awful. Like, borderline unusable. Don't fall into this trap, people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #32
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Try Microsoft Mouse Without Borders (free download). I use it to share a common keyboard & mouse with my work laptop and pc in the office or my work laptop and home pc. Very handy. Also letís you copy/paste or click and drag files between the linked pcís. Just have to be on the same network. Links up to four pcís and their monitors

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down....aspx?id=35460
That's cool! I'd give it a try except my work laptop is a Macbook Pro.

For the Logitech keyboard afaik it's a new thing and there's an actual hardware switch on the keyboard for different pairings, so it seems to be a hardware thing rather than a software thing. I didn't know Logitech had software like that, I suspect it wouldn't work for me either.. I even tried to just setup a local remote desktop connection to remote into my MBP from my PC but of course that won't work when it's VPNed in.

But yeah definitely I'd get it from Best Buy or somewhere I could return it if it didn't work.

I'm currently doing the same, flipping my monitor between inputs and I've got 2 keyboards and two mice. I also got a cable so I can plug my Sennheiser gaming headset into my work laptop, works great for Teams.

The only problem now is the work VPN is getting slower, so I don't want to stream music over it, so I keep my headset plugged into my home computer, then when someone calls me on Teams I have to flip over to my home computer to answer it in teams on there, or try to replug in my headset quickly. Fortunately I don't get many calls. I wish I could configure the VPN to be a little more discriminating about where it sends traffic but I get why they don't allow that.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any reason not to run Folding@home application on my gaming rig?

I installed it. I don't exactly feel like I'm making a difference...?

EDIT: So it takes some time for your machine to actually get connected and for them to "assign" a project to you. Now it's fired up.

The really cool part is you can see exactly what your computer is contributing to! The extra cool part is that my CPU is contributing to a cancer project and my GPU is contributing to a Covid project. Cool!

Last edited by CroFlames; 03-23-2020 at 01:41 PM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #34
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I've had a Jabra Pro headset for a few years and I absolutely love it. Well worth the money and works great.

Any webcam recommendations though? More and more of my meetings are moving the Zoom direction, and I'm not setup very well. Generally call in on my phone, etc.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We (global Fortune 500 company) have had both for at least a year and people just use whichever they want. Skype has had a lot of stability issues in our environment so I wonít be sad to see it go. There are some annoying inconsistencies though - Skype is integrated with our phone system but teams isnít, Skype works better with company to company meetings.

Then thereís email vs teams - some people use teams as the primary communication channel others use email. Iím finding teams very difficult in that regard.
I don't cover your sector, but look at Zoom as the communications platform that would integrate into Teams.

Would take care of your video (internal & external) and you can do Phone as well, which likely means not having to replace all those handsets.

Unless you were using Polycom CX devices... then you'd be hooped
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #36
edslunch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I don't cover your sector, but look at Zoom as the communications platform that would integrate into Teams.

Would take care of your video (internal & external) and you can do Phone as well, which likely means not having to replace all those handsets.

Unless you were using Polycom CX devices... then you'd be hooped

We do use zoom for worldwide town halls etc since it seems to be more stable at scale
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Any webcam recommendations though?
Anything by Logitech is good IMO, I've had a couple and they've always been solid. I think mine even does background removal (though I assume that's in software).
Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #38
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My company is all AWS, Gsuite, Slack and Zoom. The whole switch to working from home has been a non-event without our own servers or network to manage.

Zoom has been rock solid, I'm always on it all day, but now often in 20+ person meetings, and zero issues.

The only thing I noticed was cloud recordings were available way later for 2 days. They are now available faster than they were before COVID. I'd hate to see Zoom's hosting bill this month

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 03-23-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

After upgrading our Office 365 subscription to Microsoft E3 and full Azure AD, it really grinds my gears that so many cloud applications hide their Single Sign-On options behind an additional subscription. It literally costs them nothing to enable it since Azure is doing all the work, and I'm sure they only charge extra for it because they know that's the first thing admins look into once they get Azure setup
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #40
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've used Remote Destkop for years for the IT team to just remote in when we're needed for on-call purposes. One of us has a laptop so we use Fortigate's VPN client for that guy.

We saw a day when we may have to extend RDP for more users so we planned a scheme so it isn't very easy to find.

Suddenly last week we were setting up RDP connections for the entire office to work from home and handing out laptops for those who didn't have adequate computers at home.

It's gone well.

We have Zoom for remote meetings. We started using it this year when we elected to not renew maintenance on our ancient Tandberg Video Conferencing equipment.

So far nobody has used Zoom for inter-office meetings, but our Sr. Mgmt has held board meetings with it.

IT has been so busy working from home that we haven't had a chance to set up our own Zoom meeting. Looks like we're going to start dying down in the busy category so we'll have a chance to breath and meet later this week?

I was impressed with Zoom, so I recommended it to my church when they were trying to figure out how council can meet and plan. They've been using it like crazy!

On the home front, my son continues his drum lessons by Skyping his teacher. My daughter is using Zoom for her piano lessons. My other son just has to record him playing a song and upload it somewhere for his band teacher to ensure he is still playing.

We were in the process of purchasing 0365 before this happened. Too bad it couldn't wait a couple of months. I see my kids using Teams for their school work. That would be super nice for our office.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote