Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #41
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's way too soon to say. One of the huge questions at this point is this:
Will catching covid-19 provide long-term immunity against it? Nobody knows. Predictions say likely not full immunity, but there's a lot of variation into what that means. It could be anything from "almost no immunity or very little (like norovirus)" or "pretty decent immunity, it's not going to be half as bad next time".

If this becomes a genuinely seasonal thing, the world will be forced to make permanent changes to the way it functions, and death by coronavirus will become one of the main ways to "die of old age". That will start to create a noticeable demographic shift, as older generations will start to die out more quickly than they used to.

Regardless, I think there's a pretty good chance this will mean the West bringing back some manufacturing from Asia with government aid. This crisis has demonstrated how ultimately you can not trust that you can buy what you need from another country.

There's already been a turn towards nationalism before this, and this will likely accelerate that development. (Paradoxically this might mean bad news for the far-right, as much of their platform might suddenly disappear, leaving them with not much else than xenophobia.)

I think it likely will mean a move away from small government ideology. This is a crisis that has everyone clamoring for big government solutions.

A lot will depend on how bad it gets in the worst hit countries, and where that will be. If US will be the Western country hit the worst (as some are predicting), and it gets really bad (millions dead is a possibility), the ripple effects might be huge, since any shift in US politics tends to spread out globally in a decade.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #42
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
There are going to be a lot of people working longer in life to make up for all the money we are losing.
It’s going to affect a lot of retirement plans, mine included.

I also see potential for changes in learning and how classes are taught. The schools have been forced into changing very quickly but there should be some valuable learnings. It might be the start of a step change in how education is delivered. I’m thinking more for post secondary.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #43
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome

Exp:

I find I'm incredibly productive from home. It's crazy, actually. I can focus completely on what I'm doing and not wander around the office blabbing about absolutely nothing to colleagues. When I'm on the phone I'm also sweeping, tidying, folding laundry, it's actually awesome.

This is a test run for me to see if I can move out of the city and work remotely. Being a giant control freak I never thought I would be able to do that.

I really do hope people embrace webinars and e-meetings. For example I travel to Ft Mac every other week, and it's a half day travel, meals, hotel, 2 hours of meetings, half day travel back. It's SO wasteful and time consuming. If I can run a meeting at home for a few hours once a week it's amazing how much more productive I am.

Same with in the USA, I've flown across the country for a 30 minute meeting. Do it online, it's the same thing and with Webex I can record the meeting to remember the talking points.

This has really opened up my eyes to the technology out there. I hope it does the same for others.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #44
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this notion of a guaranteed income is implemented I worry about the tax burden. I worry about the tax ramifications anyway.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #45
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I find I'm incredibly productive from home. It's crazy, actually. I can focus completely on what I'm doing and not wander around the office blabbing about absolutely nothing to colleagues. When I'm on the phone I'm also sweeping, tidying, folding laundry, it's actually awesome.

This is a test run for me to see if I can move out of the city and work remotely. Being a giant control freak I never thought I would be able to do that.

I really do hope people embrace webinars and e-meetings. For example I travel to Ft Mac every other week, and it's a half day travel, meals, hotel, 2 hours of meetings, half day travel back. It's SO wasteful and time consuming. If I can run a meeting at home for a few hours once a week it's amazing how much more productive I am.

Same with in the USA, I've flown across the country for a 30 minute meeting. Do it online, it's the same thing and with Webex I can record the meeting to remember the talking points.

This has really opened up my eyes to the technology out there. I hope it does the same for others.
Oh yeah, me too. I am crushing working on home. It is a delight to work 6 feet from my beer fridge in my beautiful apartment with no distractions whatsoever.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #46
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I think it's way too soon to say. One of the huge questions at this point is this:
Will catching covid-19 provide long-term immunity against it? Nobody knows. Predictions say likely not full immunity, but there's a lot of variation into what that means. It could be anything from "almost no immunity or very little (like norovirus)" or "pretty decent immunity, it's not going to be half as bad next time".

If this becomes a genuinely seasonal thing, the world will be forced to make permanent changes to the way it functions, and death by coronavirus will become one of the main ways to "die of old age". That will start to create a noticeable demographic shift, as older generations will start to die out more quickly than they used to.

Regardless, I think there's a pretty good chance this will mean the West bringing back some manufacturing from Asia with government aid. This crisis has demonstrated how ultimately you can not trust that you can buy what you need from another country.

There's already been a turn towards nationalism before this, and this will likely accelerate that development. (Paradoxically this might mean bad news for the far-right, as much of their platform might suddenly disappear, leaving them with not much else than xenophobia.)

I think it likely will mean a move away from small government ideology. This is a crisis that has everyone clamoring for big government solutions.

A lot will depend on how bad it gets in the worst hit countries, and where that will be. If US will be the Western country hit the worst (as some are predicting), and it gets really bad (millions dead is a possibility), the ripple effects might be huge, since any shift in US politics tends to spread out globally in a decade.
I think this is legitimately one of the more interesting posts I have read on this forum ever. Very good analysis.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #47
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think (hope) employers will see the benefits of telecommuting for office workers and that people can be productive. The days of driving 30 minutes back and forth from home to work just to sit in front of a computer anyway should hopefully be done.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #48
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Permanent temperature checks / improved health screening standards / more stringent travel requirements at airports would work for me.

I thought I remember FLIR cameras being in service in airports long before this. Maybe that was just in Beijing, and that was quite a few years after SARs.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #49
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought I remember FLIR cameras being in service in airports long before this. Maybe that was just in Beijing, and that was quite a few years after SARs.
Definitely China. They had FLIR cameras for quite a few years when I was coming and going from Beijing.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

If things get bad in the US it could have a significant impact on electoral mapping and the november election.

https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #51
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I think there will be a larger movement towards Vegetarian/Veganism. People will start looking at the root cause of all this.
I for one will stop eating bats, but like hell anyone will tell me to stop eating pangolin!
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #52
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
One of the things I know I'll change after this is being a little more social with my friend groups. I take that for granted. Even if it's coffee or a couple drinks, connecting with friends and family will be higher on my list after all this.

Being alone sucks.

What I would hope would come out of all this (which I doubt will) is better care for those in less fortunate positions globally. We're lucky in Canada, to some degree, but places like China where the gap between super-wealthy and super-poor is at the heart of what's happening today. People will do anything to survive. I hope countries like China take better care of their super-poor and enact stricter regulations on food handling etc.
Bahahahahaha!!!!!! In all seriousness, I sincerely like who you are as a person, LAflamesfan. I don't like when you defend celebrities that attack Alberta Oil as I know for a fact that is a BS game where they are funded by American Oil companies to attack a competitor that they can't attack with fake wars.

But aside from that you always have the whole world present in your views rather than just a region, I've really noticed this. Most people can't do that, myself included. I wish I could be better in this regard.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #53
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't see any negative long term impact to travel, including cruises once this passes. There will be some massive pent up demand. Now the financial hardships these industries will experience in the near term will be unprecedented.

If you've lived in a city that has experienced a natural disaster, some of the experience is very very similar.

Glued to TV/internet for updates, concern about basic supplies, people hoarding, work being seriously disrupted, not knowing when things will improve etc.

Then things return to normal. The difference here is the scale, not so much the severity IMO.
This is likely the most on point response in this thread.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #54
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Seeing some in-theater movies being offered for streaming rental, maybe this will shift that to be a permanent thing?
I would love that so much. I have zero interest in going to a theatre and wait for everything to come out on streaming or cable. I would happily pay a couple bucks more than a standard streaming/cable movie rental to get a brand new movie streaming.

$14.99 to see a brand new Hollywood movie at home instead of waiting 6 months to see it for $6.99 or whatever? Sign me up!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #55
3thirty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

Agreed, my territory is Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and anything that can cut back my dealer visits to those Canadian hot spots will be fantastic, especially with a young son now at home.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #56
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If this notion of a guaranteed income is implemented I worry about the tax burden. I worry about the tax ramifications anyway.
In due time the worry will be lack of UBI in some countries that are now too far behind to catch up, imo. Your worry is based on the past and status quo. It cant continue with technology knocking out human workers at an exponential rate, and the tax burden will be far easier to swallow than the societal burdens of countries that don't work towards it in the coming decade.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing that will definitely change is our level of preparedness for the next epidemic. That is the one key learning from cities hit by disaster in my experience.

Authorities will be more prepared.
Better plans will be ready.
Citizens will be more calm.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #58
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I think there will be a larger movement towards Vegetarian/Veganism. People will start looking at the root cause of all this.
The root cause of this was caused from selling live wild animals like civet cats, bats, pangolin, etc. to eat and butchering them in disguising conditions like wet markets. Ebola outbreaks are often linked to the bushmeat trade as well. Before we take down our agriculture industry we can start there!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #59
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

People are going to stop complaining about how overpaid doctors, nurses and teachers are pretty quickly.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I predict lots of new bambinos approximately nine months from now.
And as seen elsewhere yesterday,

They will be forever known as coronials.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote