Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:
Default The before and after....

Obviously focus is on getting through this, but it is interesting to think about how this is a true before/after moment. Probably THE before/after moment of our lives.

So what changes in the after?
- Does the way people travel alter? (Less cruising, less global travel all around?)
- Do our social norms and behaviors change (no hand shaking, or worse yet cheek kissing the some cultures do)
- Do we see a huge increase in remote working, outside the shift that is already happening?
- Do we see a reduction in mass gatherings?

What else potentially changes in the after?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I hope this is the death of the cruise ship industry. Those ships are some of the largest polluters on the planet and they serve no real purpose

Crazy times though. Only comparable I have to this is 9-11 which changed air travel worldwide. Between that, Covid, and technology, the world my daughters will grow up in will be vastly different than the one I did
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alternatively, in 6 months to a year, we all go back to normal as if nothing happened. Humans aren't very good at change.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Obviously focus is on getting through this, but it is interesting to think about how this is a true before/after moment. Probably THE before/after moment of our lives.

So what changes in the after?
- Does the way people travel alter? (Less cruising, less global travel all around?)
- Do our social norms and behaviors change (no hand shaking, or worse yet cheek kissing the some cultures do)
- Do we see a huge increase in remote working, outside the shift that is already happening?
- Do we see a reduction in mass gatherings?

What else potentially changes in the after?
For most of us on this board the before/after moment happened in September of 2001. This will not have the same effect. Ingrained social customs (handshakes, kisses) will return incredibly quickly. Gatherings even faster, people will want to reconnect with and be around others again.

Less cruising maybe, but less travel overall I don't think so, especially if the low cost carriers survive this.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'd be nice if this finally caused our species to recognize we're all in this together on our little blue spaceship.... but in reality we'll probably just keep spending trillions on new and inventive ways of killing each other.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there will be a larger movement towards Vegetarian/Veganism. People will start looking at the root cause of all this.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I hope this is the death of the cruise ship industry. Those ships are some of the largest polluters on the planet and they serve no real purpose

Crazy times though. Only comparable I have to this is 9-11 which changed air travel worldwide. Between that, Covid, and technology, the world my daughters will grow up in will be vastly different than the one I did
for me the closest thing was the AIDS epidemic. that's the last time I felt this way in regards to the changing world of personal health.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think much change will come from this at all.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully people stop eating high risk and endangered wildlife. Other than that I think most people will want life to return to normal.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't think much change will come from this at all.
Unfortunately I agree with this
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I suspect there will be more remote work done as companies realize that it's relatively straightforward and likely more cost effective.

And while this isn't what you asked about, I hope that this changes some dietary and food handling practices along with maybe our relationship to the natural world.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Maybe #3 more remote working. Cant see the others happening.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote work, maybe.

I think the biggest advances will be on the scientific/medical side. One of the success stories with Covid-19 is how quickly we were able to identify, decode, diagnose, treat, and begin to develop a vaccine for this virus.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hopefully this shuts down wet or other meat markets in China. This has happened multiple times now. Many countries and economies I would assume are not happy right now.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CgyFlamesftw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We spend a lot of time at work reviving people who overdose, who drive while under the influence or texting, or who generally just take their life or the lives of others for granted with carelessness or selfishness. Many of those same people are calling us in a panic because of perceived flu-like symptoms. They’re incredibly concerned for their lives with respect to covid, where in reality they’ve been playing roulette with their lives long before.

My hope is that people realize the preciousness of life, health, family, humanity and come out of this with a larger respect towards wanting to stay on this planet longer than they perhaps realized prior to this pandemic and make some changes outside of just avoiding a flu to realize it.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #16
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

One of the things I know I'll change after this is being a little more social with my friend groups. I take that for granted. Even if it's coffee or a couple drinks, connecting with friends and family will be higher on my list after all this.

Being alone sucks.

What I would hope would come out of all this (which I doubt will) is better care for those in less fortunate positions globally. We're lucky in Canada, to some degree, but places like China where the gap between super-wealthy and super-poor is at the heart of what's happening today. People will do anything to survive. I hope countries like China take better care of their super-poor and enact stricter regulations on food handling etc.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #17
sa226
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't the whole name of the game right now to buy time for the health care system, while we race towards a mass produced vaccine?

I suspect there may be changes and developments behind the scenes in public health, epidemiology, maybe medical research. Perhaps how scientists and researchers coordinate across the globe. Perhaps they will even make new discoveries. Maybe some adjustments in manufacturing supply lines etc. Hell maybe even the financial system will make some changes. But I doubt very much that our day to day lives will change much at all.

The optimistic side of me hope's that there are some incredible lessons learned from this.

The pessimistic/realist side of me thinks that the government's and corporations of the world won't have learned a damned thing. Hoarding of wealth, slashing of budgets and over spending in the name of votes and ideologies wont change at all, and the continuation of outsourcing to the lowest bidder in the name of cost savings and at the detriment to public health and well being will absolutely continue.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #18
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are going to be a lot of people working longer in life to make up for all the money we are losing.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I really don't think much changes ultimately.

Hopefully a change of healthcare system in the US maybe? That might be about it.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #20
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The world realizes how well work/study from home works and we get rid of offices, schools and campuses.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote