Old 03-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #41
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Everyone be good to one another.
Such true words in times like this.

Had two experiences while headed home from getting groceries today. First one was on a packed, residential sidestreet where an oncoming driver went out of his way to stop, reverse, pull into a spot so I could continue down the road and on my way without stopping as we wouldn't have both fit. We gave a nod/wave in passing. Shortly after, as I was rolling slowly down my back alley due to the ice ruts, I noticed a bottle picker climb down from the side of a large dumpster. He gave me a bit of a sheepish look but without thinking I hit him with a small wave and nod again and was met with a large smile and a wave back.

In the grand scope of an average, busy day these two interactions are absolute insignificant footnotes but for whatever reason they significantly brightened my day. Today of all days was one where no one would blame you for putting your head down and paying no mind to others with all the personal crap we are all facing. To both give and receive a little bit of kindness went a long way in my day and it took nothing more than a couple of small gestures and nods to absolute strangers.

I challenge others on here to do the little things in the days, weeks ahead where things likely get more bleak and more scary in our world. I know I'll certainly be more cognizant of what I can do moving forward.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #42
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to chat about anything really, I'm here always.

We all just have to endure this insanity. I am always available to chat.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I feel like CP is the only site I'm comfortable getting news updates about covid19 right now. It feels like too much news is coming at me too fast, and that much of it is hyperbole, and not enough of it relevant or trustworthy.
Yeah, as you say it's like having a team of curators customizing the news so the most relevant and interesting stuff hits my eyeballs first, interspersed with humor and sometimes bickering.

I feel like I'm pretty lucky in a way, my ability to cope with and/or distance myself from big changes or events seems to be inversely proportional to the scale. Stores stop carrying my favorite drink? Grouchy for days. Economic collapse and pandemic? Meh.

Unfortunately doesn't extend to the obsessive reading of news and stuff about the crisis, there's probably better uses of my time.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #44
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see all of this, the suffering this has caused people on so many levels and I just can’t stop being angry.

As I have said in other threads (and been criticized by many) I really believe this was foreseeable and could have been avoided.

I ruminate constantly and can’t let go of the anger.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I see all of this, the suffering this has caused people on so many levels and I just canít stop being angry.

As I have said in other threads (and been criticized by many) I really believe this was foreseeable and could have been avoided.

I ruminate constantly and canít let go of the anger.
One thing to think about is your circle of control. What in your world can you currently affect for the better and focus on those things only. Everything else is wasted mental energy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #46
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone else having a strange distortion of time perception?

Like thinking to a specific day a week ago, feels like a month ago.

It’s really odd and unsettling.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #47
ben voyonsdonc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post

Itís really odd and unsettling.
Definitely. I think it is because it is such a dynamic situation. Last week, there was very little threat in Alberta or even much threat in Canada. Today our Prime Minister is in quarantine and all sports are cancelled. Who knows what it will look like next week?
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #48
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Working in a health care environment, my entire existence has become about covid. It's all we ever talk about at work. Everything we do is centered around it and today, it has me feeling really low.
I'm on edge constantly, feel like I can't even focus on my regular duties because all I can think about is covid, because that's all that gets talked about. "Business as usual" doesn't exist anymore.

We don't have a solid plan at work for staff if something breaks out here and, being pregnant, this has me starting to panic a bit. So while schools and companies are being temporarily shut down to prevent spread, we would never be able to do that so we're here until the bitter end. I don't have the option of working from home like most people here seem to. That has me having to debate, do I stay at work with our at-risk senior population to help yet risk getting majorly sick being super high risk now? Or do I behave proactively and distance myself from my ultra-vulnerable workplace that will most certainly at some point have covid making the rounds and risk my job?

I feel hopeless today. I really do.

Last edited by BrolyTheUnholy; 03-13-2020 at 12:01 PM.
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrolyTheUnholy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #49
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post

Itís really odd and unsettling.
Sort of yea. Yesterday was the most surreal experience I've had since September 11 (was driving to NY that day) being in stores and seeing everyone with a singular purpose, no pleasantries no chit chat no mingling. All there to "get it done" and get out.

I can't give enough thanks to the people that work at these stores they are putting themselves at risk without them none of us would be able to get the things we need.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #50
Mickey76
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Sort of yea. Yesterday was the most surreal experience I've had since September 11 (was driving to NY that day) being in stores and seeing everyone with a singular purpose, no pleasantries no chit chat no mingling. All there to "get it done" and get out.

I can't give enough thanks to the people that work at these stores they are putting themselves at risk without them none of us would be able to get the things we need.
This
We are quick to proclaim front line health care workers, police, fire as heroes at times like this, but frankly they are well paid and part of that pay is because their job entails risk. I appreciate it but to be completely honest I expect them to be there and do their job. But to the person stocking the shelves at the grocery store today, they are a hero. They are paid minimum wage and without them showing up none of us could stock up for 3-4 weeks so we feel at least a little better about our situation.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #51
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I can't wait for my shift at the liquor store Saturday night. I'm sure it's just going to be magical
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I can't wait for my shift at the liquor store Saturday night. I'm sure it's just going to be magical
One shot of Everclear to clean the counters, one shot for you! One shot of Everclear to clean the register, one shot for you! And so on.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #53
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One shot of Everclear to clean the counters, one shot for you! One shot of Everclear to clean the register, one shot for you! And so on.
Best part is this will actually work!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #54
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just saw this on a news site, it might help us all a little bit. How to deal with the anxiety that comes with covid19:

UNDERSTAND THIS WILL PASS
While the situation might seem increasingly dire, Henick said it’s important to understand the outbreak will inevitably pass and there are some already simple ways to mitigate your risk, such as washing your hands and avoiding close contact.

“If people are dwelling on this, if it’s making them extremely anxious and that anxiety is impacting their health, I think it’s an important reminder that they’re probably going to be fine,” he said.

“Like all challenging public health events, we will get through this and we’ll learn from it.”

UNDERSTAND EVERYONE’S BEING AFFECTED
With so much flux, someone with a mental illness might find it hard to deal with changes to their routine, but Mark Ferdinand, co-chair of the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health, suggests it’s important for the people to understand that everyone is dealing with these same challenges.

“It's important for people to know that this unprecedented situation that we're experiencing right now with regards to how COVID-19 is affecting everyone in terms of what their daily lives are looking like,” he said.

When it comes to anxiety, Dobson argued those with an anxiety disorder might even be better off than the general public.

“Putting this on top of other issues in some ways might even be less severe than people with lower levels of anxiety, because the relative difference isn't so much,” he said. “I actually think that for people with anxiety, it may not be too bad.”

AVOID SELF-ISOLATING IF NOT SICK
Henick suggests the biggest issue people with a mental illness might face during a pandemic is they might self-isolate out of fear, which can be particularly troublesome.

“It’s important to maintain contact with people in whatever way makes sense to do that, whether it’s online, by phone or by other means,” Henick said.

Henick added that mass cancellations of social gatherings such as concerts, sporting events and religious gatherings can only add to this feeling of isolation among people with mental health issues.

“While those are smart preventative measures from a public health perspective, it limits the opportunity for people who are already isolated to reach out and connect with others,” he said.

Family and friends of someone with a mental illness also play a part in making sure they don’t feel alone. Henick said something as simple as phone call can go a long way toward helping someone.

“One of the great parts of living in such a highly connected world now is that we have many ways of connecting with people and I think that we need to make the effort to do that,” he said.

FOLLOW THE NEWS IN MODERATION
As COVID-19 dominates the international headlines, the concerning news can lead to increased anxiety among some people, while others might fixate on the latest developments.

“Something that people do when they’re anxious, especially in times like this, is to overconsume media about it,” Henick said. “That’s just the way our brain works. We’re looking for answers, we’re looking for reassurance.”

Henick suggests it’s important for people to keep abreast about what’s going on in the world, but to do so responsibly.

Dobson agreed that it might be a good idea to stay away from the headlines, though it might not be entirely possible.

“This is a public health concern,” he said. “It's appropriate, I think, that everybody has some degree of appropriate anxiety here about the issues.”

FIND A 'COPING STRATEGY'
Ferdinand suggests “coping strategies” can be effective when it comes to keeping someone’s mind off a stressful and potentially problematic situation.

These activities can include anything that makes the person happy, such as reading, listening to music, chatting with a friend or playing an instrument.

“I think the idea is to find the coping strategy that either works for you, that makes you happy or to keep the connection alive with someone that you like talking to,” he said.
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrolyTheUnholy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #55
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tim Ferriss' latest podcast is on this, with jack kornfield. It is good for this situation

Tim ferriss
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #56
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I started meditating about a year ago to try and manage my struggle with mental distraction while working. It was/is really hard, but over time I started noticing some interesting gains (ironically, still distracted as all hell). Twitter suddenly wasn't bugging me as much, I could be in the presence of people with monstrous opinions and it wouldn't wreck my day, I was less irritable with my kids, that sort of thing.

I got in a bit of a dust up with a predator during the summer, and that led to some really uncomfortable sleeps. When it comes to bad sleep, that stuff snowballs real quick and it doesn't take long for mental fatigue to pull at you from all angles. I'm not saying meditation is a silver bullet, but it was absolutely invaluable in handling a huge factor in anxiety: finding a healthy perspective on the things beyond your control.

This scenario is tough. The things out of our control have been ramped up to 11 and clearly a lot of us in this thread (and city/country/planet) are feeling it. There's tons of apps to help you start meditating if you want to give it a shot (I use headspace), and if you're financially unable I believe Sam Harris's app will let you get a year free if you request it. Instead of spending 15 minutes before bed tonight freaking out on social media, consider spending it on yourself instead. It may not help right away, but if you stick with it for a month I think you'll find a lot of benefits. If it doesn't work? The worst you've done is subject yourself to quiet, calm reflection.

Once I found the benefits in it, I began to explore a few other things that have all improved my life exponentially. Journalling, walking/running, reading... I replaced as much social media as I could this year with these things and it's been amazing.

Also, this morning I had a friend reach out and ask if I'd FaceTime with him for a little bit. Being a helpful chap, I obliged him. Took me a moment, but I realized the crafty bastard was doing it more for my sake than his own. So if anybody is using the phrase "reach out if you need" but also knowing the person you're directing that to won't, try to phrase it as something you need instead. It's a lot easier to grant a favour to a friend than to ask for one.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #57
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My oldest has anxiety issues, so we have to tread carefully whenever there's a big event like this. We've been really careful to explain that the situation is serious but it's not as scary as it looks, and we've been breaking everything down into smaller situations explaining how they're fitting into the big picture. She handling it a lot better than I expected, which is actually helping my anxieties too.

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #58
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

I got in a bit of a dust up with a predator during the summer.
Quoted for awesomeness

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #59
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Take some time to unplug from social media (CP included). I'm finding myself almost constantly looking at various sites and it's very easy to get worked up.

Stay informed but at the same time filter what you read/watch and take some time away from everything periodically too.
This 100%. Especially during something like this, but even in general when it comes to mental health. Even in regular times when I'm on Twitter I can feel it, can be so negative and toxic.. like a game thread when the Flames are losing. Sometimes you just gotta unplug for your own sanity.

I suspect it's a hard thing to do for many in isolated situations like this though, especially if you live alone.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #60
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided to create a video,

I plan on doing more if people want to chat and have anything to talk about, I'm more than happy to chat about anything. Might turn this into a daily thing for something to do.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post: