Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My business (primarily retail freight transportation) is booming, we're moving more than we did at Christmas. It's weird to see so many people winding down and settling in for a rough time, while on our side we're like "Alright, sixteen more full 53' toilet paper loads, let's do this."
All industry dependent I'm sure, I can imagine yours is going gangbusters. Marketing had already taken a bit of a hit in Alberta, this doesn't help any.

We are about to go to camera on a new series - debating if we should postpone - a lot still to be decided.

Wash your hands.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #22
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am concerned for the vulnerable, the poor, and the elderly. My partner and I are well-off, and we can work away from the office probably indefinitely. It's everyone else I am worried for. There is also this sense of looming dread that is hard to get rid of. Like a storm gathering, but with no indication of when or where it will strike.

Remember to love one another. Be careful, but do not fall prey to stigmatizing or panic.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #23
Tron_fdc
Has My Daddy Syndrome

Exp:

I’ve begun planting the seed for getting together over Skype video for beers. Yeah it’s weird, but it would be kinda fun to chat with pals on a Friday night over Skype.

Web beers anyone? Lol
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #24
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to get a little worried about potential isolation. Being immunosuppressed, does it mean I can't spend anytime with my friends? I have a new girlfriend I really care about that I started dating at the beginning of January, what does this mean for us spending time together? How is that going to impact such a new relationship?

I'm also getting to end of my contract at my current job. How am I going to apply for new jobs, go to interviews, etc.?

I'm also worried about potentially getting sick and if my body will be able to hold out. Just a whole bunch of uncertainty and anxiety right now for someone who already has pretty significant mental health issues.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #25
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm starting to get a little worried about potential isolation. Being immunosuppressed, does it mean I can't spend anytime with my friends? I have a new girlfriend I really care about that I started dating at the beginning of January, what does this mean for us spending time together? How is that going to impact such a new relationship?

I'm also getting to end of my contract at my current job. How am I going to apply for new jobs, go to interviews, etc.?

I'm also worried about potentially getting sick and if my body will be able to hold out. Just a whole bunch of uncertainty and anxiety right now for someone who already has pretty significant mental health issues.
Many things, not everything, can be solved with proper communication.

To your friends, tell them about your condition, your fears and anxieties, and that they should monitor their symptoms very closely and that you won't be joining them in large group settings.

To your girlfriend, the same. Be clear about your feelings.

To your work, reach out to them about end of contract and ask for an extension. In the meanwhile, many things can be done online and even more-so as this thing progresses.

Always communicate. DM me if you want more advice.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #26
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The virus itself if you are reasonably healthy is not dangerous, I'm 59, I am sure I will get it and I will be fine, I worry about the economy and I worry about my less fit friends, but the virus itself is not that big a deal for almost everyone here.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #27
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the last 1.5 months of a Master's program, and will be graduating (unless classes are just completely cancelled) into a #### job market. The prospect of graduating and being unemployed with a sizeable student loan hanging over my head is really weighing on me.
And now the Corona virus is here, and my wife is prone to pneumonia, so that's just compounding things.

I really feel like I'm on the verge of having a breakdown sometimes.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm in the last 1.5 months of a Master's program, and will be graduating (unless classes are just completely cancelled) into a #### job market. The prospect of graduating and being unemployed with a sizeable student loan hanging over my head is really weighing on me.
And now the Corona virus is here, and my wife is prone to pneumonia, so that's just compounding things.

I really feel like I'm on the verge of having a breakdown sometimes.
I was on a call with some people from the federal government today talking about potential responses.

One thing that was clear is that this will be a short ####ty spike. We will adapt. We always do.

In the meantime, keep networking (even via email!) and keep your wife safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #29
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the last 18 months I got separated. Lost my house (had to sell due to the separation).
Got nailed hard with alimony and child support payments due to the previous 2 years being my
best financial years ever.

Lost my great paying job (O&G) and am basically starting over...except with 4000$/month going to my ex wife and son
(I have no issues paying child support...but 1300$/month for a 4 year old plus 1200$/month for daycare is a lot.)

I used my part of the house money to buy a restaurant with my family and haven't received a dime back out of it (this was dumb).
I apparantly owe the CRA a huge amount of money and now I live in my travel trailer parked at my dads house.

The worst part is after finally finding a job, the shift is awful! I am opposite of my girlfriend who I haven't seen in months and only get to see my son 3 days at a time 2 times a month.

It's crazy to think how only 18 months ago I had pretty much everything I ever wanted out of life before 30; family, acreage, toys, good work/life balance and I lost it all before 32.

I know things will get better because they can't get any worse.
I believe.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
In the last 18 months I got separated. Lost my house (had to sell due to the separation).
Got nailed hard with alimony and child support payments due to the previous 2 years being my

Lost my great paying job (O&G) and am basically starting over...except with 4000$/month going to my ex wife and son
(I have no issues paying child support...but 1300$/month for a 4 year old plus 1200$/month for daycare is a lot.)

I used my part of the house money to buy a restaurant with my family and haven't received a dime back out of it (this was dumb).
I apparantly owe the CRA a huge amount of money and now I live in my travel trailer parked at my dads house.

The worst part is after finally finding a job, the shift is awful! I am opposite of my girlfriend who I haven't seen in months and only get to see my son 3 days at a time 2 times a month.

It's crazy to think how only 18 months ago I had pretty much everything I ever wanted out of life before 30; family, acreage, toys, good work/life balance and I lost it all before 32.

Man, I have been there, it is really hard to stay positive, I know. I am not going to get into the details of my current situation but it is also a big ball of ####. Seriously, every day I wake up and think " I don't want to do this anymore". Nothing seems to go right or get better. You keep thinking surely it will get better yet it doesn't. people try to tell you to look on the bright side and you want to destroy them because they have no idea, they are not in your shoes. Like myself you have family that love and depend on you in their lives and so your only option is to continue the struggle. Just know that people care man, they really do. I do for sure, keep fighting and I hope things turn around for you.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #31
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided to take a year off starting in August to come back to Canada and get my wife her PR here. I was expecting we would probably start the recession in October, but with this late onset I'm wishing I had socked away another half-year's worth of cash. I'm grateful that we don't need to worry too much, and that I don't feel blindsided by this downturn, but it's looking like a tough and lean couple of years coming up globally.

Mostly in this time, I'm appreciative of family, good friends, loving relationships and keeping in mind the opportunities that this time creates so that I am hopeful with regards to the future and working on projects that will take advantage of the opportunities that arise from this period. I hope others on CP take the time to care for themselves, appreciate and maintain relationships, stay healthy and can keep the foundations in place to have a good outlook to the future and opportunities that seem distant or hard to achieve right now. These times will pass.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

"I'd do it for sure. I'd be lining up to stab kids with forks." - OMG!WTF!
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #32
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta say that partaking in too much of the covid-19 media frenzy will take its toll on you, and would recommend taking breaks. Yes, this is a serious situation that is bound to get you down, but over consuming will make it way worse.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

I could have told you a similar story back in '98 when I separated, it was grim but it worked out in the end, this too will pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #34
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What did you just say to me you son of a bitch?!
May the Fleas of a thousand Camels infest your ampits!
Old 03-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #35
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I gotta say that partaking in too much of the covid-19 media frenzy will take its toll on you, and would recommend taking breaks. Yes, this is a serious situation that is bound to get you down, but over consuming will make it way worse.
Problem is you see it everywhere. I was in Co-op and they had no toilet paper and the same for hand sanitizers. Not that I needed any but people were getting vocal with the staff on when the next shipment was coming in.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Problem is you see it everywhere. I was in Co-op and they had no toilet paper and the same for hand sanitizers. Not that I needed any but people were getting vocal with the staff on when the next shipment was coming in.
I bet they had plenty of kitchen towel though, why people think you cant wipe your arse with kitchen towel escapes me
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #37
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like CP is the only site I'm comfortable getting news updates about covid19 right now. It feels like too much news is coming at me too fast, and that much of it is hyperbole, and not enough of it relevant or trustworthy.

At the same time, I desperately want to know what's going on.

At least on CP the updates I'm getting are somewhat curated and generally come from people I respect.

Also, what could I do if I knew all the things any way? The knowledge wouldn't make me or my loved ones any safer. All I can do is wash my hands, keep my distance, and review my many recipes for cooking with pantry staples.

Sigh. Anyone need to know how make red beans and rice in either the instant pot or slow cooker?

Last edited by annasuave; 03-12-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Spelling. Frickin spelling!
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I feel some weird comfort hanging at this website during these troubling times. I trust more people here for information than in my regular life.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Indes - stay strong, stay positive. Your son needs you, more than you can imagine. He is worth more than all the other things.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #40
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone be good to one another.

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: