Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player
 
Jiggy_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default Mental well being during an uncertain time

I personally feel itís important for people to have as many avenues as possible to discuss their mental health during an unprecedented time in our lives. We have a news thread, we have a discussion thread, and we should have this.

This is a community that many of us choose to spend a lot of time on, reading and posting and digesting, and we should be here to help each other out.

Letís all be extra kind to each other for a while, and support how we can.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike
 
CMPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Darkest Corners of My Mind
Exp:
Default

Add this to the rest of my daily worries and it's a party going on in my head.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I personally feel itís important for people to have as many avenues as possible to discuss their mental health during an unprecedented time in our lives. We have a news thread, we have a discussion thread, and we should have this.

This is a community that many of us choose to spend a lot of time on, reading and posting and digesting, and we should be here to help each other out.

Letís all be extra kind to each other for a while, and support how we can.
What did you just say to me you son of a bitch?!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isnít 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: squeaking
Exp:
Default

Couldn't have said it any better myself, my guy

You're all ok in my books. Anyone needs to talk, let's talk. PMs open for you all.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What did you just say to me you son of a bitch?!
Get bent!
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
White Out 403
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

I haven't been sleeping well lately.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Get bent!
You always go right to my Scoliosis. It hurts Fuzz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isnít 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm
 
La Flames Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Love this thread. Thanks for starting it.

It's going to take a toll on people - I find myself thinking about it so much. Our business (video production/construction time-lapse) is seeing delays and cancellations already. It's, as you might say, no good.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
__________________
MEDIAPOP Films
La Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to La Flames Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Take some time to unplug from social media (CP included). I'm finding myself almost constantly looking at various sites and it's very easy to get worked up.

Stay informed but at the same time filter what you read/watch and take some time away from everything periodically too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

I'm a catastrophist at the best of times. So this is my thing.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I've had a week or so of crushing existential dread until last night. Decided what will be will be and there isn't anything I can do but face whatever comes next. Between having my work savings decimated, job security evaporate, and the inevitable outbreak, all I know is things will get better eventually.

Last few days I drive into work and remind myself what my Grandfather survived, baby during Spanish flu, death of his father in 1933 at the height of the depression, 5 years in Europe in WW2.

All things considered it can always be worse.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Exp:
Default

Basically not getting any sleep anymore. So many unknowns going forward, and I have a habit of looking at all scenarios. This leads me to delve into the worst-case easily and trying to shake them is not easy anymore, with so few exposure to positive's.
__________________

BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #13
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I've had a week or so of crushing existential dread until last night. Decided what will be will be and there isn't anything I can do but face whatever comes next. Between having my work savings decimated, job security evaporate, and the inevitable outbreak, all I know is things will get better eventually.

Last few days I drive into work and remind myself what my Grandfather survived, baby during Spanish flu, death of his father in 1933 at the height of the depression, 5 years in Europe in WW2.

All things considered it can always be worse.
Thanks for this, I'm handing my notice in tomorrow to start a new job in 2 weeks, and I've gotta admit I've been downright terrified.

It's helped that my current work is probably going to be making deep cuts, but this entire situation is crazy.

But you're quite right, in the scheme of things I'm nothing, and it could be alot worse.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
EVERLAST
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Native Calgarian
Exp:
Default

I hope the cabin fever wont set in too early but .....isolating myself to my new home which is a basement suite under some very noisy people....ugh.

Oh well. They better get used to me smudging allot to try and purify the air a little.

Sage smoke offers rapid delivery to the brain and efficient absorption to the body. Scientists have observed that sage can clear up to 94 percent of airborne bacteria in a space and disinfect the air. When sage is burned, it releases negative ions, which is linked to putting people into a positive mood.

Yes...I know....call me crazy and .....3 2 1
__________________
Myfurnaceguy.HomeStars.com
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

I'm 59 so been through a few of these, we will all be ok, maybe a bit poorer for a while but ok, and you kids will go through other crisis like this, my best advice turn the TV off the news channels, everything you need to know you will find out anyway CNN and MSNBC (even facebook and, I hate to say it, Calgarypuck) will just drive you nuts.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #16
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender
 
tripin_billie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DC
Exp:
Default

I discussed my fear of the isolation that will happen once we inevitably start working from home with my therapist yesterday. We're not all lucky enough to have access to these professional services, but talking it out with her and just with friends and family has been really helpful. I'm not in a traditional danger group, so I'm more concerned with the impact that long-term isolation might have on some of us. Keep up the conversation is all I can say.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #17
burn_this_city
Franchise Player
 
burn_this_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Thanks for this, I'm handing my notice in tomorrow to start a new job in 2 weeks, and I've gotta admit I've been downright terrified.

It's helped that my current work is probably going to be making deep cuts, but this entire situation is crazy.

But you're quite right, in the scheme of things I'm nothing, and it could be alot worse.
Forgot to add, that's what he faced by the time he was my age. He also buried his first wife at 60 from cancer, and his second wife at age 88 from cancer again. The previous generations have had it rough.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Love this thread. Thanks for starting it.

It's going to take a toll on people - I find myself thinking about it so much. Our business (video production/construction time-lapse) is seeing delays and cancellations already. It's, as you might say, no good.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
My business (primarily retail freight transportation) is booming, we're moving more than we did at Christmas. It's weird to see so many people winding down and settling in for a rough time, while on our side we're like "Alright, sixteen more full 53' toilet paper loads, let's do this."
__________________
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #19
TheIronMaiden
#1 Goaltender
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

I have made peace with the fact that I will likely get sick. With that I find it much easier to be grateful that I still feel well. Until that changes, every day is a good day.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #20
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

I think it helps to look at the things being done to create vaccines and therapies. I was talking to my friend's freaked out teenagers last night and looking through some of the companies working on this was really helpful. Just seeing progress being made and positive news made a world of difference to their peace of mind. Actually, even if it was bad news they'd still have felt better just having knowledge.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016