Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #801
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
In the US, a country with enormous economic and social scaling capacity.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #802
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
In the US.

Any sources for projections in Canada?
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
In the US, a country with enormous economic and social scaling capacity.
This would still have a huge positive impact on Canada. Having one of the countries with the largest outbreak in the world right on our doorstep has been devastating to our economy. Having them returning to normal would be huge for Canada too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #803
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
This would still have a huge positive impact on Canada. Having one of the countries with the largest outbreak in the world right on our doorstep has been devastating to our economy. Having them returning to normal would be huge for Canada too.
That's a fair point and most likely to work out in our favour with a Biden presidency.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #804
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
This whole time I’ve assumed we’d ‘finish’ months ahead of the States, due to their overall situation. Gladly come in second, as then we can get things back to normal sooner. Which involves an open border.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #805
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This whole time I’ve assumed we’d ‘finish’ months ahead of the States, due to their overall situation. Gladly come in second, as then we can get things back to normal sooner. Which involves an open border.
The US is going to struggle with a huge amount of anti-vaxers, probably more so given how Trump has politicized it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still suffering with overcapacity hospitals a year after a vaccine arrives.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #806
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The US is going to struggle with a huge amount of anti-vaxers, probably more so given how Trump has politicized it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still suffering with overcapacity hospitals a year after a vaccine arrives.
I still maintain that we should weaponize the cure and roll out the troops. Like X-Men 3.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #807
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I, too, think people give the US far too much credit. They've handled the pandemic extremely poorly up to this point, and all signs point to that continuing through vaccinations.

The new federal government will help, but they still will have resistance from almost half of their population and that includes many state and local leaders. Also, they don't really have much experience with public health care, which is what this is when the government will be paying for it.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #808
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt this. With the effectiveness of the vaccine and the new data around the immune response being longer lasting than we thought, you won't need as high vaccination rates to reach critical mass. The people that refuse to vaccinate will probably not be enough to cause a fundamental disruption in the vaccination strategy.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #809
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I, too, think people give the US far too much credit. They've handled the pandemic extremely poorly up to this point, and all signs point to that continuing through vaccinations.

The new federal government will help, but they still will have resistance from almost half of their population and that includes many state and local leaders. Also, they don't really have much experience with public health care, which is what this is when the government will be paying for it.
I haven’t seen anyone giving the US “credit”... and this isn’t the thread for continuing about whether or not antivaxers will be an issue.

I thought that article was “good news” given the absolute cluster #### that country has been through this.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #810
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
If a vaccine is out, I genuinely can't see many politicians being able to keep restrictions, of any substantial severity, in place after May anyways. In fact, as soon word gets out that the vaccine has hit the most vulnerable groups, populations will simply stop distancing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #811
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I haven’t seen anyone giving the US “credit”... and this isn’t the thread for continuing about whether or not antivaxers will be an issue.

I thought that article was “good news” given the absolute cluster #### that country has been through this.
While some are saying that the US are going to soak up all the vaccines and Canada is going tp have to get in line behind them, I am suggesting that will not be the case.

The good news is Canada will likely be better organized and should be able to get and distribute the vaccines efficiently.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:29 AM   #812
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
While some are saying that the US are going to soak up all the vaccines and Canada is going tp have to get in line behind them, I am suggesting that will not be the case.

The good news is Canada will likely be better organized and should be able to get and distribute the vaccines efficiently.
I believe Canada also has its own manufacturing capacity for vaccines. The manufacturer might be an American company, but I doubt Canada would allow for the export of vaccines manufactured here to the US so that the drug companies can satisfy US demand prior to Canadian demand.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #813
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

One advantage Canada has, is it can have a more coordinated national effort to distribute the vaccines while in the US each state is more or less on its own to develop a vaccine distribution program.

Canada has less people than the US and is more spread out. More and more vaccines are going to become available. I’m confident that life in Canada will be back to normal by May or June.

Oxford is now showing 79-90% efficacy and only needs to be stored in a fridge (2 to 8 degrees C). The 90% efficacy trial also involved only a half dose followed by a full dose 28 days later so it could go further.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post: