Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #1381
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

I have two kids in elementary school but at different schools. In the past two weeks we've received 5 notifications between the two schools that there are new case(s) of Covid. My kid's classrooms have not been involved and we haven't had the quarantine notifications come yet but I'm sure it is only a matter of time. That will really suck.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #1382
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have two kids in elementary school but at different schools. In the past two weeks we've received 5 notifications between the two schools that there are new case(s) of Covid. My kid's classrooms have not been involved and we haven't had the quarantine notifications come yet but I'm sure it is only a matter of time. That will really suck.
It just doesn’t work with 100-200 kids per day getting Covid. The WHO recommends positive test rates of less than 5% before starting schools. We are beyond that point now.

Our school has been lucky with only 2 cases so far so relatively minor disruptions but given the case rate schools will be forced online shortly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #1383
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

It is difficult to see some of the strategies as sound and cohesive. Manitoba, starting today bans all non essential purchases from in person shopping, I guess as a way to insure everyone is equally screwed (the local video game store which is forced closed and Walmart, which is open because groceries but previously could sell video games in person).
Schools remain open while public health order will bar anyone who does not live at the home from being in the home. So little johnny comes home from riding the bus and hanging all day with little Timmy, and will be in violation if little Timmy stops by to play Xbox.
I have no idea what the right answer is, but it likely isn't the above. Probably
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #1384
malcolmk14
Franchise Player
 
malcolmk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Exp:
Default

Well, who had end of November in the pool? 7-12 going online only.

I'll be surprised if they return to schools on January 11th.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #1385
V
Franchise Player
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Exp:
Default

I had mid-November, so I was off by a bit.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #1386
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Well, who had end of November in the pool? 7-12 going online only.

I'll be surprised if they return to schools on January 11th.
Only until Jan 11 though, right? I thought the older kids are still returning to in class learning after the holidays.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #1387
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Wow somehow I missed that. I thought if it'd happen it would be in October, so missed by quite a bit.

Of course my kid yesterday told me he WANTS to go back to school in February for the 2nd semester.
__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #1388
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Only until Jan 11 though, right? I thought the older kids are still returning to in class learning after the holidays.
Thats the plan, for now anyway. Grades 7-12 do online classes from Dec 1 to the holiday break. Then they extended the holiday break itself until January 11th. At that point, K-12 are all supposed to be back to in person learning. But I would not be at all surprised come January 12th if they just kept going with online learning the rest of the way...we shall see.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #1389
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

I’m quite happy to see the two week gap after Christmas. That’s going to be a huge Covid bump regardless of policy. So keeping that out of the schools is a big win.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #1390
malcolmk14
Franchise Player
 
malcolmk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Only until Jan 11 though, right? I thought the older kids are still returning to in class learning after the holidays.
Yeah, that's what the announcement was. I think they'll be out till semester break at least, though.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #1391
malcolmk14
Franchise Player
 
malcolmk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Thats the plan, for now anyway. Grades 7-12 do online classes from Dec 1 to the holiday break. Then they extended the holiday break itself until January 11th. At that point, K-12 are all supposed to be back to in person learning. But I would not be at all surprised come January 12th if they just kept going with online learning the rest of the way...we shall see.
Just to clarify, the holiday break is only sort of "extended". K-12 will do online learning from January 4-8.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #1392
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Yeah, that's what the announcement was. I think they'll be out till semester break at least, though.
Yeah this was my thought as well, with it so close to the end of the semester by that point. That has to be very challenging for teachers & schools as well as students to transition to online learning, then quickly re-adjust back to in-person classes right before finals & diplomas. Especially given how it sounded like so many tended to fall off with their studies when everyone went to online learning in March last school year.
Actually I'm wondering if diplomas will get scrapped altogether for this semester now.

UPDATE: diploma exams have in fact been made optional for the rest of the school year now

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-25-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #1393
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

Online learning for 7-12 from November 30 - December 23. Three days notice to teachers.
__________________
A fool can throw a stone into the water which ten wise men cannot recover.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #1394
malcolmk14
Franchise Player
 
malcolmk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Online learning for 7-12 from November 30 - December 23. Three days notice to teachers.
To be fair they were all told to be ready to move to online on short notice at any time. So they were given months of notice if you think about it.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #1395
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Online learning for 7-12 from November 30 - December 23. Three days notice to teachers.
If teachers did not have a plan to shift to work from home learning at the last minute at this point I have no sympathy. The risk of a close contact shutting you down for 14 days has been there all year and there needed to be plans to address this.

With schools going off for Christmas break on Dec. 18th this is only one additional week to the 2 weeks they should have been prepared for in the event of a positive case in their class.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #1396
Sliver
evil of fart
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Online learning for 7-12 from November 30 - December 23. Three days notice to teachers.
Three days...eight months...same thing, really.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #1397
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Just to clear something up: as is my understanding from family members in the industry as well as one of my best friends, when a teacher needed to quarantine due to an exposure, they did not transfer to online classes. A substitute teacher takes over their classes for 2 weeks at the school.

Whenever I'd chat with one of them, I could tell there was a strong feeling schools would not close again - online learning sounds like it was seen as quite a mess last spring, marks province-wide basically plummeted after March. Also just looking at the other hard-hit provinces who have implemented much stricter lockdown measures across the province than Alberta did yesterday, yet still kept schools open, I can definitely see why secondary teachers here would be feeling caught off-guard with the announcement.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-25-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #1398
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
If teachers did not have a plan to shift to work from home learning at the last minute at this point I have no sympathy. The risk of a close contact shutting you down for 14 days has been there all year and there needed to be plans to address this.

With schools going off for Christmas break on Dec. 18th this is only one additional week to the 2 weeks they should have been prepared for in the event of a positive case in their class.
They do. At least they should. The teachers in Lethbridge have been warned since the beginning of the school year that they need to plan for sudden change to online schooling.

My daughter's class was isolated a month ago and the transition to online schooling went very well. I was very impressed. They had a plan in place and it was well organized and it went well. Absolutely night and day difference between what happened in March. I had to buy new toner cartridge for my printer though. Elementary kids use more paper than middle or high school!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #1399
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just to clear something up: as is my understanding from family members in the industry as well as one of my best friends, when a teacher needed to quarantine due to an exposure, they did not transfer to online classes. A substitute teacher takes over their classes for 2 weeks at the school.

Whenever I'd chat with one of them, I could tell there was a strong feeling schools would not close again - online learning sounds like it was seen as quite a mess last spring, marks province-wide basically plummeted after March. Also just looking at the other hard-hit provinces who have implemented much stricter lockdown measures across the province than Alberta did yesterday, yet still kept schools open, I can definitely see why secondary teachers here would be feeling caught off-guard with the announcement.

It depends on the circumstances. In my son's school the other grade 10 class was isolated, as well as their teachers, so the teachers taught them online. There was about 4 kids in my son's class that had exposure to the person infected with covid so they had to do online learning, but they were treated as a normal sick day(s) because they were taking different topics, so they were given assignments to complete and were told to message the teacher for any help or clarification. They didn't have the luxury of online with their teachers because their class wasn't in isolation, they were just unlucky to have been in contact with the other class, which was taking other subjects.

Same as my daughter's grade 4 class, the teacher taught the class online as they were all in isolation "together".

My friend, a teacher at my son's school, had to quarantine while waiting for test results and he had to get a sub. Due to a declared outbreak at the school he really had a hard time finding one too!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #1400
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Yeah that's what I've been hearing, that its been very hard finding substitutes due to a combination of very high demand, and many subs simply refusing work due to Covid fears. Sounds like it's been quite a mess
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016