Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Are you sending your kid(s) back to school?
Yes 102 61.08%
No - we are choosing the home/hub option 36 21.56%
Undecided 29 17.37%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #101
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I think you are understating it.

2+ weeks in and 80 schools have covid cases, 14 outbreaks and one watch. Kids are already starting to catch covid from each other at school and we have to get to June.
There are 700 Edmonton and Calgary schools so let’s limit the demonator to 1000 for number of schools with Covid potential so as not to skew the numbers with rural schools

Or 80 cases 1000 schools in cities is 8% of schools with cases. Averaging four cohorts per school that means 2% of cohorts have been impacted.

With 10 / 200 days complete (ignoring the first week) we are 5% done school.

I don’t think anyone challenged the idea that if each cohort had to be isolated for two weeks over the course of the year that we would say school was a success.

The question is can we keep community infection down. At 100 cases per day 13% are school age children. This is the plan, it appears to be working as intended. We certainly need to watch the in school spread numbers over the next few weeks because if it is prevalent we will be in trouble. We don’t have significant signs of that yet.

A metric that I can’t find any data for is positive test rate of children before and after start of school adjusted for prevalence of Covid in the general pop. As decisions are made about schools understanding of school spread is increasing the number of people with Covid in the province or if increasing numbers in the province leads to increased numbers in schools.

Where we are failing is in reducing community cases in non school settings.

Last edited by GGG; 09-19-2020 at 10:07 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 03:28 AM   #102
Reggie28
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Icon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
My friend is a high school teacher in Fort Mac and is officially on 14-day self isolation now because of a positive case in one of his classes.
I hope your friend is healthy and comes through with no ill effects. Just today a Canadian health authority was saying if you are sick, stay home for 7 days, the Alberta health app tells you to isolate for 10 days, international quarantine is 14 days. I wish we would get consistent messaging based on sound scientific principles.

At this point in time teachers should be at the very front of the line for testing, as they are the most critical of front line workers. Maybe the NHL practice of 4 clean tests in 4 days is warranted to keep the education system running, but Iím not an expert. Do you know if Alberta health is prioritizing testing for educators?
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #103
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
I hope your friend is healthy and comes through with no ill effects. Just today a Canadian health authority was saying if you are sick, stay home for 7 days, the Alberta health app tells you to isolate for 10 days, international quarantine is 14 days. I wish we would get consistent messaging based on sound scientific principles.

At this point in time teachers should be at the very front of the line for testing, as they are the most critical of front line workers. Maybe the NHL practice of 4 clean tests in 4 days is warranted to keep the education system running, but I’m not an expert. Do you know if Alberta health is prioritizing testing for educators?
He was identified as a close contact with exposure to a confirmed positive case so he is required to isolate for 14 days regardless of test result.

Teachers are one of the groups who can still access asymptomatic testing.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #104
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three schools in my area with Covid cases now, two high schools one elementary. Iíve been kind of adopting a wait and see with the school year ramping up about visiting with my grandchildren. My oldest grandson is in grade one, they donít wear masks, and who knows how the social distancing in school is working out. Thatís a lot of potential exposure. Very frustrating and sad.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #105
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
In Alberta, it's 10 days from the onset of symptoms & 14 day quarantine if you're asymptomatic but in contact with a positive case or travelled.
The difference between 10 & 14 is that after you've developed symptoms you're probably ~4 days in so you don't have to be quarantined as long. Simple enough and based on science.

Last edited by Torture; 09-21-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote