Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #61
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The thing with Teams, as much as I love it and use it on a daily basis, I still liked Slack more. But because of the cost of getting our guys on Slack Premium, we decided to go the Teams route since we were paying for Office 365 anyways.

Slack has been impressive the last month or so. There is a thread on Twitter where their CEO talks about the process in his company as they adapted to Covid-19 becoming a reality and people starting to work from home in big numbers. Amazing thread from someone whose company is helping leading the work from home charge, AND helping connect the people who needed the ability to communicate with others working on Covid-19 work.

Makes me wish I could go back to using Slack again.....
I like Slack as well but terribly expensive for what you get. I use both as some people, especially the devops prefer slack. We push teams and will start to phase out Slack soon.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #62
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah, it is really expensive. I think we were looking at $12 per month per user, which is what we pay now for the entire Office 365 Suite, including desktop apps, Exchange, etc.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is having the same issue I was, that is remote desktop providing a static image, and looking frozen, and fixing it by reconnecting, you can stop it. You have to disable UDP. Apparently a Windows update fixed something else, but broke this. It was happening 3-5 times a day for me, I did this yesterday and didn't have an issue.

On client: Local Group Policy Editor
→ Local Computer Policy
→ Computer Configuration
→ Administrative Templates
→ Windows Components
→ Remote Desktop Services
→ Remote Desktop Connection Client
→ Turn Off UDP On Client
→ Enabled

https://superuser.com/questions/1481...ently-freezing
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #64
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Zoom as a whole just taking a thrashing for vulnerabilities and privacy issues.
Been a "fun" couple weeks for me, lol.
Luckily my customers are good and understand what's happening

https://medium.com/@vince_17729/zoom...s-20560d9f40b9

Also, for fun, FFVII Remake Zoom Backgrounds for you:
https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/...om-backgrounds
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #65
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Anybody have recommendations for video conferencing using your TV, for more social purposes?

Say you wanted to hang out with people socially in the evening time. Each of you would have a setup where you basically can sit around your room rather than the normal face time where peoples’ faces occupy 90 percent of the screen. For example, suppose you wanted to play charades or something like that

I right now have an iPad or iPhone and an Apple TV. I could AirPlay the iPad/iPhone on the Apple TV and use FaceTime, lean it up against the TV facing the room so it captures our room. Their voices will come out through the TV, so that may cause audio issues.

I was thinking it’d be good if the Apple TV had an app built in, and you could use a webcam and a Bluetooth mic or something like that placed in the middle of the room.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a better solution
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:09 AM   #66
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Anybody have recommendations for video conferencing using your TV, for more social purposes?

Say you wanted to hang out with people socially in the evening time. Each of you would have a setup where you basically can sit around your room rather than the normal face time where peoplesí faces occupy 90 percent of the screen. For example, suppose you wanted to play charades or something like that

I right now have an iPad or iPhone and an Apple TV. I could AirPlay the iPad/iPhone on the Apple TV and use FaceTime, lean it up against the TV facing the room so it captures our room. Their voices will come out through the TV, so that may cause audio issues.

I was thinking itíd be good if the Apple TV had an app built in, and you could use a webcam and a Bluetooth mic or something like that placed in the middle of the room.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a better solution
I know you don't have a laptop, but what I did was put my laptop on our kitchen step ladder (2 steps high) half way between our couch and the TV and then it was close enough to us so that people could still see our facial expressions/etc clearly but away from the tv enough that the mic didn't pick up enough TV audio to be problematic. You might be able to do something like that with the iPad and Airplay? It was super nice to have everyone else on the big TV screen.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #67
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I know you don't have a laptop, but what I did was put my laptop on our kitchen step ladder (2 steps high) half way between our couch and the TV and then it was close enough to us so that people could still see our facial expressions/etc clearly but away from the tv enough that the mic didn't pick up enough TV audio to be problematic. You might be able to do something like that with the iPad and Airplay? It was super nice to have everyone else on the big TV screen.
Good info, thanks! (I do have a laptop, suppose I didnít mention. Probably need a longer HDMI cable then, or could accommodate the same from placing iPad strategically away from speakers)

I guess I was kind of looking for a more permanent setup where we donít need to set it up every time

And also another main driver was for a simple enough solution so we could get some of the people we are talking to set up in a simple way. There are a couple of families we would like to video con regularly who are not tech savvy enough to have done anything beyond what their device makes easy)

Totally agree, having people on the big screen is game changing. It turns a phone call in to an almost in-person experience
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #68
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

For those that are using Teams in their company, is there anyway to prepopulate the contact list for users? Our company currently uses Skype, and users add people via department distribution lists. That way they can add everyone they need to talk to in short order and immediately see who's available in each department. Teams doesn't support DL's in the contact list, so when users log in for the first time their list is completely blank

I really like Teams after trying it out for a bit, but management won't sign-off on a complete switch until people won't lose their existing contacts. I've looked for ways to manually populate the contact lists for users via GPO or through the cloud portal but haven't found anything
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #69
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good info, thanks! (I do have a laptop, suppose I didnít mention. Probably need a longer HDMI cable then, or could accommodate the same from placing iPad strategically away from speakers)

I guess I was kind of looking for a more permanent setup where we donít need to set it up every time

And also another main driver was for a simple enough solution so we could get some of the people we are talking to set up in a simple way. There are a couple of families we would like to video con regularly who are not tech savvy enough to have done anything beyond what their device makes easy)

Totally agree, having people on the big screen is game changing. It turns a phone call in to an almost in-person experience
Yeah that setup wasn't super permanent, it was mostly just my attempt at making it more comfortable and in-person like you said. I've actually ordered a refurbished Intel NUC PC to have permanently hooked up to my TV and will run everything through there, with a webcam. But unfortunately that's not non-tech friendly.

I think most people should be able to plug an HDMI into their laptop and TV which will greatly improve the experience. Also for audio, many of the bluetooth speakers out there have a built in mic, so they can run the audio through that and put the speaker close to them. We've been doing that with our Soundcore 2 and it's way better for the audio portion.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #70
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am getting a new computer for work and with all of the licenses and reinstalling things, I was hoping to just clone the drive and set it up on the new computer. I did this with my wifeís old laptop and new one and it worked out okay, and also with my laptops HDD to a new SSD. The main difference is this computer will have some different peripheral and already has Win 10 Pro installed. The company wants to reuse my old desktop, so I plan to leave it pretty much as is. If I clone the drive though, will I be able to switch the Windows license on the new computer, and will Windows pick up new drivers so my software will still run properly? I mostly just hate having to get settings all back to my liking and stuff like that and install the various tools.

Otherwise, is there an easy way to list all of the programs you have, even if they arenít in the ďapps & featuresĒ list?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #71
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You won't be able to swap the drive, windows will see it as a new computer so your license won't be valid. You will end up with gremlins. Not worth it.

I'm not sure if they still have a free version, but Belarc Advisor is good for listing all programs and settings(and some software keys). It always seems like a big deal to reinstall, but it really doesn't take that long to put everything how you like it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 11:55 PM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I guess thatís true. For the most part, I can reinstall stuff, but I do keep older versions of software on my computer that are harder to track down. Some just have legacy features that I occasionally use. I guess I will adapt.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #73
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay. Another question. At home, I now have my personal laptop and my work desktop. I bought a docking station that works well, so when I am done work I unplug my work pc from the dock and plug in my personal laptop. This generally works pretty well, although I notice a bit of mouse lag at times. Anyway, the problem that is occurring is that I have dual monitors set up. For the work pc, all it sees are two monitors and it identifies them as Monitors 1 and 2 in Display Settings, the annoying part is when I plug in my laptop, it sees the two monitors, plus my laptop monitor, and it rearranges the set up and puts my laptop monitor as 1, and the other as 2 and 3. This reversed the order of the displays every time I switch between work pc and laptop.

Is there a method to stop my laptop (I don't open the lid so the display is always off) from inserting itself as monitor 1 and rearranging the order of my monitors? Can I force the laptop monitor to be 3 or will that screw it up if I ever take the laptop away from the dock?
Old 08-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #74
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there a method to stop my laptop (I don't open the lid so the display is always off) from inserting itself as monitor 1 and rearranging the order of my monitors? Can I force the laptop monitor to be 3 or will that screw it up if I ever take the laptop away from the dock?
Have you changed your primary monitor on your laptop's display settings? Usually that's what causes most of the switching problems.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #75
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
While the laptop is docked, go into display settings, and under Multiple Displays select "Disconnect this display" for the laptop screen. That will make the laptop screen non-functional while it's docked, but once you undock it should work normally
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #76
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was actually kind of creepy, and I was suspecting something when I found myself trying to fix an issue with some Outlook problems a couple of weeks ago and came across some new features under "admin" settings. Basically stats on how many emails specific people are sending/receiving/reading, numbers of files stored and accessed, etc.

Kind of confirmed some of my suspicions.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/11/25/t...lippys-revenge

https://twitter.com/user/status/1331221942850949121
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 04:15 AM   #77
curves2000
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this question in the proper thread and if not, can the mods move it?

Anyhow due to Covid I don't know how safe indoor cycling is for exercise so I decided I should get a real road bike for the spring and a smart trainer for the winter.

I have a new Tacx Smart Flow trainer so that I can connect to the training program Zwift.

How I am thinking of doing the set up as per several cycling friends is via my laptop and a HDMI cable to tv.

I have an older computer, a HP Probook 6550b that I use just for web surfing and email etc. I may have to upgrade the RAM to 8GB to run Zwift but I am not sure if the GPU on my computer is good enough for Zwift?

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/supp...wift-H1Cj9QbeB

I've posted the min requirements but I can't get an answer from some people if mine is sufficient. My computer is a Windows 10 with the i5 processor so it's a current midrange set up according to their site.

Anybody have an idea if it's upgradable? Is it worthwhile to spend the money on 4+G of RAM and an upgraded GPU for a 8+ year old machine? It works great other than the battery which is older.

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #78
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried installing and running Zwift on it? You don't have to pair it with your trainer in order to test, you can select the "Just Watch" option. Zwift runs different levels of detail profiles based on what it sees in your laptop. If you have an iPad or Apple TV, Zwift works on those as well (but no wide screen on the iPad).

And speaking of smart trainers and sensors, I find the Bluetooth connection on most laptops is flakey, so if your trainer is capable of running Ant+, I highly recommend going that way. You'll need an Ant+ receiver and USB extension cord.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #79
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This was actually kind of creepy, and I was suspecting something when I found myself trying to fix an issue with some Outlook problems a couple of weeks ago and came across some new features under "admin" settings. Basically stats on how many emails specific people are sending/receiving/reading, numbers of files stored and accessed, etc.

Kind of confirmed some of my suspicions.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/11/25/t...lippys-revenge

https://twitter.com/user/status/1331221942850949121
Well now I'm curious. I'm enabling that right now.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #80
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno.... some of those stats can be taken the wrong way.... MS believes that putting files on OneDrive and working on them is a measure of 'productivity' and collaboration. I'd say 75% of my office is still on good ole' file and print servers outside of the 365 universe. And I'm pretty sure old school Exchange servers can generate stats on number of emails sent by users. Meetings is simply charting how much of the workday is booked into meetings in your Outlook Calendar.

These are extension of basic logging no?

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 11-28-2020 at 11:39 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote