Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #121
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So based off my Experience the last week or so the new normal is just the old normal? Social distancing seems dead. Handshakes and hugs. Only new thing is servers wearing masks really.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:00 AM   #122
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So based off my Experience the last week or so the new normal is just the old normal? Social distancing seems dead. Handshakes and hugs. Only new thing is servers wearing masks really.

Well, hopefully some common sense has come in to play. It’s primarily a respiratory disease

Handshakes are low risk if you are diligent with hand hygiene.
Hugs are short duration physical engagements where you generally put your face in a position behind the person you hug.

Having said that, greeting each other with makeouts may be riskier

Or even, you know, close talking.

People would be better served if they understood risks and acted appropriately, rather than waiting for people frustrated by the idiocy of the lowest common denominator to prescribe hard and fast rules, which then somehow get debated on their own merits
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #123
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question but didn't want to start a thread. It has to do with gyms. I noticed that you can open a fitness facility in a relatively small building in Calgary with relatively low zoning. MU zoning allows for fitness facilities basically in your house. There is a house for sale now that would work quite well for what I'm thinking.

So basically you create a private gym. The house I'm thinking of has about 2500 sq ft plus a garage conversion. A decent sized work out room could be as small as 200 sq ft, or as big as 400 sq ft. There's a possibility of an outdoor space for use with this zoning as well.

You could offer showers in each one. Of course thorough cleaning in each one. And make each one different to focus on one or two things common in big gym workouts. Stuff like Peloton already exists to create a class like setting. But there would be lots more of it too depending how interactive you'd want to get. You could even customize it and offer each person their preferred workout drink ready to go and for sale when they come in.

So you get maybe 7 different work out rooms in the place. They could be rented by the hour a la all the other massage businesses in the area. And I don't think the price would be too crazy. It's 15 bucks to drop into Repsol. So even for 10 bucks you'd be making money. Maybe you'd get 50 hours of rent a day. Plus targeted sales. You've got one employee who cleans and manages. You'd probably net close to $500 a day depending on other overhead.

I think you could get really carried away and get special circulated air for each room, automated cleaning maybe. Or offer all the best in germ warfare like copper coated weights and fixtures. That would be after you've established the idea.

First of all would people see that as a long term alternative to normal gyms? You maybe don't want to workout in your house forever, or can't workout in your house. But gyms still seem like a bad idea. The question is would this avoidance of indoor close contact activity be something that sticks around for a while.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #124
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a huge gym goer, but going into a random house, isolated in my own room doesn't seem like a huge selling point to me. Especially when the idea of avoiding gyms is the airborne germs, I don't think this provides much more of a guarantee over the precautions regular gyms are taking right now.

Once you factor in having to workout and I'd probably just prefer the Saw treatment.

Here's some personal-space type ideas being implemented by regular gyms already:
https://sg.style.yahoo.com/personal-...160600374.html

Also if the location is good enough to get the traffic to make it worthwhile, it probably just makes sense to slumlord it up and rent out each room as a room, not an hourly gym.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #125
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, not a huge gym goer though so not the target audience for your idea. I would suspect for this to appeal to the common gym rat you would need microphone and speakers in each room though. Just so everyone can hear the grunts and the dropping of weights heavily. I'm pretty sure that's what most gym bros care about.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #126
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you could never recreate the gym experience. And the air issue is definitely the hard part. I hadn't thought of that other than get a magic ventilation machine that takes care of it. But not a "Gainz" tents. It's definitely a challenge but I think the smaller spaces would work better if there was a way to purify the air. The attraction would have to be in the state of the art equipment and a cool looking space.

The type of house that has the zoning for this actually lends itself well to public access. They're typically in commercial zones and oriented to the street for a store front. They typically don't resemble a living area inside...no kitchens or anything. Just offices or work space. I just really like the opportunity with these properties and need to think of something to do...not massage therapy. Not a dope store. Trying to angle towards the new normal some how.

edit: should have googled first...There's actually a company that does this. They look for small office spaces and convert them into private studio gyms...starting in Toronto this year...

https://silofit.com/about-us

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 06-17-2020 at 07:53 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote